“Awareness is like the sun. When it shines on things, they are transformed!”. This quote itself conveys the importance of awareness. It is highly important for an individual to be aware of his/ her surroundings for all round development. If an individual is good enough at his field of interest, it not enough. He/She should also be well aware of all the events taking place in his/ her surroundings.
In this article, we will help you in your preparation for performing well in the general/ economy/ banking awareness of SBI PO Mains 2016.
General Awareness has become a vital section in all of the banking examinations. This section in the SBI PO Mains 2016 showcases an individual’s knowledge on general awareness and current affairs in national and international domain. It checks if an individual keeps up with happenings around the world. While most exams check only your general awareness, the same section also includes questions from banking section.
You can often encounter students asking questions like “How to prepare for general awareness section?”, “How to manage time in the general awareness section?” etc.
Remember, you cannot achieve a goal without a strategy. You need a proper plan to prepare in order to achieve anything. Here are the basic steps involved:
- Taking a look at the topics involved
- Follow smart tips for preparation and practice questions from the topics mentioned above.
Topics asked in general awareness:
1. Current affairs: National current affairs, International current affairs, Sports current affairs, Science, Technology, Space and Defense current affairs, Current affairs yearbook, People in News/ Awards, Economy current affairs etc.
Tips for preparation for current affairs in SBI PO Mains:
Look at the following topics, prepare and pratice as many questions as possible from the following sections:
National current affairs:
- Union and State Elections
- Government schemes
- National news: announcements by different ministries, ideation and execution of pet projects of union ministry
- States in news: major announcements, initiatives and schemes undertaken by state governments.
- Safety operations: Launches by union and state government for various festivals, occasions and calamities/ disasters.
- First in India- For example: first village with cent percent literacy, first airport powered by solar energy etc.
- Recent rankings announced
- Official/ Unofficial visits by PM Modi
- Union budget
- Schemes announced by union as well as state goverments.
- Information related to census.
- India’s ranking in different indices
- Information about committees
International current affairs:
- New appointements in foreign countries
- Countries in limelight: ISIS in Syria, Nepal , Paris attacks etc.
- International summits
- News about UNO, G-20, OECD, G4 etc.
- Calamities: Hurricanes, earthquakes, terrorist attacks etc.
Sports and games:
- News about cricket, tennis, grand pix, athletics, football, shooting badminton etc.
- Important news and venues related to sports events (Past, present and future events)
- Sports awards
- Grand pix venues and winners for the current year
- Tennis events like Wimbledon, Roland garos etc.
Science and Technology:
- News about ISRO, NASA, SPACE X etc.
- Satellite launches by ISRO (Mostly recent ones)
- Defence news headlines
- Defence agrements
- Defence exercises/ defence transactions of India with various countries
Current affairs yearbook:
- Execution/ implementation of different projects by government
- Schemes of government
- Departments of government and their functions
People in news/ awards:
- National and intenational appointments
- Death of prominent personalities
- Books and authors
- Movie and entertainment
- Incumbents holding prominent designations
Economy and current affairs:
- News about important organizations: RBI, SEBI etc.
- FDI limits in various domains
- Banking schemes launched
- Export and import news
- RBI Monetary review
- RBI Announcements
- Manager acquisitions and Buyouts
2. Banking awareness: This section is divided into two sections:
a. Banking theory
Prominent areas of banking awareness:
- History of banking
- Prominent organizations: RBI, NABARD, World Bank etc.
- RBI’s role in Indian banking system
- Various kinds of accounts and interest rates
- Foreign exchange reserves of India
- Economic / financial concepts and terms
- Non-banking financial companies
- Acts, committies and legislation
- Banking services: Assets, liabilities and working capital of a bank
- Types of markets, money and banking instruments
- Reverse Mortgage Loans
- Priority Sector Lending
- Banking abbreviations, terms and concepts
- Headquarters of different banks
3. Static GK:
- Agriculture seasons and various crops in India
- Terrorist groups
- White revolution
- National parks/ sanctuaries
- States, capitals and union territories
- Dams and other projects
- Major fault lines
- Occasions and festivals
- Rivers and townships
- Prominent days
- Famous sports persons
Tips on how to prepare:
- Read newspapers on a regular basis to gather important information about recent events.
- Watch and follow news for regular and important updates about national and international events
- Attend and appear online mocks and quizzes for practice.
We hope this article will help you. Stay tuned for more updates. We wish you good luck!