Former bureaucrat and MP Nand Kishore Singh have been awarded with ‘Order of the Rising Sun, Gold and Silver’ which is a Japan’s highest civilian award.
• He was chosen for this prestigious award for promoting economic, educational and cultural ties between India and Japan.
• He is among 91 foreign recipients to be honoured during the 2016 Spring Imperial Decoration of Japan by Emperor Akihito during the investiture ceremony in May 2016.
• N K Singh is a politician, economist and former Indian Administrative Service officer (IAS) from Bihar cadre.
• He had served as a MP in the Rajya Sabha (2008-2014) from Bihar.
• He was also Principal Secretary to Prime Minister A.B. Vajpayee. He was also connected with International organisations like World Bank, IMF and UNDP.
• He also had served as Chairman, Board of Governors of Management Development Institute (MDI), Gurgaon.
• Order of the Rising Sun is a Japanese Government highest civilian established in 1875 by Emperor Meiji.
• It is conferred in recognition of distinguished accomplishments of an individual.
• The modern version of the order is being given to non-Japanese recipients from 1981.