1st May is International Labour Day, known as May Day.
• The theme of International Labour Day of 2016 is "Celebrating the international labour movement".
• The whole world celebrates 1st May every year as International Labour Day to highlight the significance of hard work and the result we get through it.
• This is also known as International Worker's Day and May Day.
• 80 countries across the world have declared national holiday on this day.
• The first demand for an eight hour working day and better working conditions gained momentum in early 19th century.
• On the first of May in 1886, four striking workers of a harvesting plant at Haymarket in Chicago were killed in police firing.
• It was protested all over and ever since, first of May is observed as workers day.
• Labour is one of the four key factors of production along with Land, Capital and organisation.