On 28 April 2016 Tabassum Adnan, from Swat valley of Pakistan, won the Mandela - Graça Machel Innovation Award 2016 in Bogota, Colombia.
• She won the award on the concluding day of the International Civil Society Week held from 25 April to 28 April 2016.
• She has been a victim of child marriage, & was married at the age of 13.
• The marriage went through domestic abuse, ended after 20 years .
• She is the founder of Khwendo Jirga (Sister's Council), which is the first women-only jirga in Pakistan.
• The council meets weekly & speaks of women's right, including honour killings, and acid attacks.
• The jirga campaigns for women in Swat Valley, including issues related to women's security and their voting rights.
• In March 2015, Adnan, was awarded the International Women of Courage award in the US.