World governing body for football, FIFA (International Federation of Association Football) on 14 May 2016 appointed Justice (retd) Mukul Mudgal as deputy chairman of its Governance Committee.
• Portuguese Luis Miguel Maduro, Advocate General of European Court of Justice (ECJ), was appointed as the Chairman of the Governance Committee.
• Justice Mudgal was also appointed as the head of the FIFA’s first Independent Review Committee along with Luis Miguel Maduro.
• Mudgal is the former Chief Justice of Punjab and Haryana and headed the IPL spot-fixing probe. He was also involved in overseeing the conduct of international cricket matches and IPL games at the Feroz Shah Kotla Stadium in Delhi. The inclusion of justice Mudgal to FIFA’s is being seen as a major development for Indian football and judiciary.
• The decision to appoint Jutice Mukul Mudgal was taken at the 66th FIFA Congress which was held at the Mexico City.
• The Committee has been set up to protect the organisation against any conflict of interest in the approval of any appointments to the key committees and bodies.