Lt General S K Saini has taken over as the new commandant of prestigious Indian Military Academy (IMA) .
• Lt General Saini assumed the office of commandant on May 21. Earlier, he was a senior directing staff in National Defence College (NDC), New Delhi, according to press release issued by IMA.
• Lt General Saini is an alumni of National Defence Academy (NDA) and IMA. In 1981, he was commissioned to seventh battalion of Jat regiment.
• In his career of 36 years, he has held many important posts.
• The Indian Military Academy, Dehradun is the officer training Academy of the Indian Army. IMA was established in the year 1932.
• During the Indian independence struggle, Indian leaders recognized the need for a local military institution to meet the needs of an armed force loyal to sovereign India.
• The British Raj was reluctant to commission Indian officers or to permit local officer training.
• Until World War I Indians were not eligible for commission as officers in the Indian Army.