India on 15 May 2016 successfully test fired an indigenously developed Advanced Air Defence interceptor missile, Ashwin.
• It was launched from the complex of Abdul Kalam Island (formerly known as Wheeler Island) off Odisha coast.
• Ashwin is capable of destroying any incoming hostile ballistic missile.
• Indigenously developed by DRDO, the ADD interceptor missile isa 7.5-meter long single-stage solid rocket propelled guided missile equipped with a navigation system, a hi-tech computer and an electro-mechanical activator.
• It weighs around 1.2 tonnes and has a diameter of less than 0.5 meter.
• With this, India became the fourth country to have successfully developed this anti-ballistic missile system.
• The other three are United States, Russia and Israel.
• This is inspired by late President of India Shri Abdul Kalam
• This interceptor missile is enough to destroy various demo.