It is going to be mandatory for public transport buses to install emergency buttons, CCTV cameras and vehicle tracking devices to ensure the safety of women commuters, Road Transport and Highways.
• Government will issue a notification on June 2, laying down the safety measures to be installed in public transport buses across the country.
• The statement came at an event at Bikaner House in Delhi where Gadkari launched 20 such Rajasthan government buses.
• The 20 Mahila Gaurav Express buses that would run between Delhi and Rajasthan are part of a pilot project.
• The Rajasthan government plans to eventually bring over 2,300 more buses under the project’s ambit.
• Many women are also scared of the ‘consequences’ of confronting harassers. Only 36% of those surveyed say they would help a co-passenger being harassed; 22% others feel it’s safer to ignore such regular incidents