Maharashtra contributed Rs. 2,77,720.11 crore, of the total Rs. 6,95,788.85 crore in income tax collections, in financial year 2014-15.
• This detail was released by the country's income tax department for the first time on 29th April 2016.
• There are 10 categories of income tax in India – individuals, corporates, trusts, local authorities, government, partnership firms, Hindu Undivided Family (HUF), body of individuals, association of persons and artificial juridical person.
• The number of individual tax payers has decreased by 3.70 lakh between financial years 2012-13 and 2013-14.
• In 2013-14, 4.87 crore individuals paid taxes, which was 4.90 crore in the previous year.
• In all, 7.14 lakh companies paid corporate tax in financial year 2013-14, a bit more than 7.03 lakh companies in the previous year
• Overall, the number of income tax payees declined to 5.17 crore in financial year 2013-14 from 5.21 crore in the previous financial year.