On 30 April 2016 Piyush Goyal launched National LED programme - Unnat Jyoti by Affordable LEDs for All (UJALA) in Madhya Pradesh.
The scheme is being implemented by Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL), a joint venture of PSUs under the Union Ministry of Power.
• Under this Programme, 3 crore LED Bulbs will be distributed in the next 6 months in the State.
• UJALA will not only help reduce consumers their electricity bills but also contribute to the energy security of India.
• The usage of LED bulbs will not only result in reducing electricity bills but also help in environment protection.
• The distribution of LED bulbs will happen through DISCOM offices.
• Consumers can buy these affordable LEDs by presenting any identity card. These bulbs come with a three year free replacement warranty .
• The UJALA scheme played a significant role in creating awareness about energy efficient lighting.
• The number of LED bulbs distributed in 2015-16 has crossed 15 crore
• For 2016, the Union Government is set to distribute an additional 20 crore LED bulbs.
• Sustained efforts under UJALA, coupled with industry support, will help the government achieve its objective of replacing 77 crore inefficient bulbs by March 2019.
• UJALA is the largest non-subsidised LED programme in the world.