Vice Admiral Sunil Lanba, got appointed as the next Chief of the Naval Staff on 5 May 2016.
• He will assume the charge on 31 May 2016 as the 23rd chief of Indian Navy .
• He will succeed present Navy Chief Admiral Robin K. Dhowan.
• He was commissioned into the Executive Branch of Indian Navy on 1 January 1978.
• His sea Command includes commanding the minesweeper INS Kakinada, frigate INS Himgiri and Executive Officer of INS Viraat, the aircraft carrier.
• Before FOC-in-C, Western Naval Command, he was FOC-in-C, Southern Naval Command,
• He was also the Vice Chief of the Naval Staff and Commandant, National Defence College.
• He is a qualified specialist in navigation and direction course.
• He attended the course at the Royal College of Defence Studies, UK.
He was Born on 17 July 1957, and has been recipient of Param Vishist Seva Medal and Ati Vishist Seva Medal.