Senior IAS officer Supriya Sahu was appointed as Director General of Doordarshan on 15 June 2016. She will be the full-time director general of the state-run broadcaster after two year as the post was lying vacant since July 2014.
• The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) approved to appoint Sahu for the post.
• She would replace Aparna Vaish who was acting head of Doordharsan. She was appointed after the board decided to appoint the senior-most additional director general (ADG) at Doordarshan.
• Tripurari Sharan was the last full-time director general at Doordarshan who stepped down in July 2014.
• She is a 1991 batch Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer.
• At the time of the appointment, she is working in her cadre state Tamil Nadu.
• She was the power behind the Say no to plastics campaign to protect the eco-system of the hill station, Ooty, during her tenure as District Collector of the Nilgiris district.
• She has also worked as Joint Secretary for Union Ministry of Information and Broadcasting (MIB).