The President of India Pranab Mukherjee on 29 May 2016 presented the Malti Gyan Peeth Puraskar for the year 2016 at a function held at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
• The award was conferred upon 15 teachers from Punjab for their rare contribution in the field of education.
• The awardees were facilitated with 1 lakh rupees cash, certificate of excellence, a Robe of Honour and a medal.
• The initiative was mainly taken to promote the quality teaching in the schools besides encouraging the hundred percent attendance of girl students in the government schools.
• The Malti Gyan Peeth Puraskar was instituted by Mohinder Singh Syngle Education & Research Society.
• It was instituted in honour of its founder Malti Mohinder Singh Syngle, eminent educationist and social worker.
• Every year, government school teachers from Punjab Government’s High & Higher Secondary Schools receive this award for their contributions in the field of education.
• The teachers already awarded with the National or State Awards were not considered for this award.