On 28 April 2016 The Rajya Sabha passed the Industries (Development and Regulation) Amendment Bill, 2015.
• Lok Sabha passed the bill on 10 December 2015.
• It was introduced by Minister of State for Commerce and Industry, Nirmala Sitharaman.
• Now, it is going to be sent to the President for his assent.
• The Union Government conformed to the Supreme Court order in the Bihar Distillery versus Union of India case.
• The Supreme Court of India in its judgment on January 20, 1997, demarcated the regulation of production of alcohol between centre and states (Bihar Distillery and another vs. Union of India and others).
• The 1951 Act provides for development and regulation of certain industries including metallurgical, telecommunications, transportation, fermentation (which includes production of alcohol) among others.
• The court ruled that centre should regulate the production of alcohol for industrial use and states should regulate the production of alcohol for potable purpose (domestic consumption). The Bill conforms to the Supreme Court’s decision.