The Odisha Government on 17 May 2016 decided to launch Green Passage Scheme for orphan students.
• The scheme will ensure that the orphan students get free of cost higher education in the state.
• Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik also gave his green signal for the scheme, which would function under the department of higher education.
• Orphan students pursuing higher education from Plus-II level to post-graduation level will no longer have to bear the education expenses.
• As many as 16382 orphan students lodged in 272 institutions across the state, will be exempted of admission fee, tuition fees and laboratory fees for higher studies.
• They will be provided free hostel facilities and food.
• The state government has also directed all government, private, government aided colleges and universities to ensure that the orphan students are not charged in any form.
• The state government will bear all cost of the orphan students.
India records its Highest temperature at 51 C