India’s Mairaj Ahmed Khan has won the silver medal in the men’s skeet event at ISSF World Cup held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
• In the final, Mairaj lost gold medal to Sweden’s Marcus Svensson and the bronze medal was won by TamarroCasandro of Italy.
• With this victory, he becomes first Indian shooter to win skeet medal for India at a World Cup.
• Earlier in September 2016 he had qualified for his maiden Olympics after finishing in sixth place at the ISSF Shotgun World Cup.
• He is the first Indian to qualify in the skeet event at the Olympics.
• In the 2010, Commonwealth Shooting Championship he had won a team gold medal which was his best international performance earlier.
• Mairaj's best international performance previous to this was a team gold in the Commonwealth Shooting Championship in 2010.
• Out of 26 World Cup appearances this was his best ever finish in his first-ever final round.