On 2 May 2016 Indian Railways signed a MoU with forest departments of Haryana and Punjab to plant trees alongside Railway Track on Railway Land Boundary.
The MoU was signed by Pankaj Saxena, Chief Engineer /P&D, Northern Railway on behalf of Railways whereas it was by Dr Amrinder Kaur, Principal Chief Conservator of Forest (PCCF) from forest departments.
• Railway can contribute substantially towards the Green India Mission.
• Forest department is involved in the plantation as well as maintenance and disposal of trees, thus bringing in the much needed expertise in afforestation.
• Plantation along the railway track on railway land boundary by Forest department
• It will be done without declaring such land as protected forest with the provision for resumption of such land at any time by railways .
• It will thus ensure no hindrance to railway works / developmental projects.
• Railway land will be protected from encroachment.
• All Zonal railways have been asked to execute similar agreement between their zones and concerned State Forest departments as early as possible.