On 4th June 2016 India became the co-chair of Working Group on Maritime Situational Awareness under Contact Group on Piracy off the Coast of Somalia (CGPCS).
Steps taken by Indian Navy to ensure safety at Somalian Coast and in the Indian Ocean Region
• In addition to escorting Indian-flagged ships, ships of other countries have also been escorted by the Indian Navy.
• To maintain high degree of alertness in the region, around 19 coastal security operations and exercises have been undertaken over the past year.
• It is a coalition of states, international organizations, the private sector and civil society that came together to fight piracy together in a coordinated manner.
• It works on the basis of Contact Group model that facilitates discussion and coordination of actions among states and organizations to suppress Somali piracy.
• Till now, more than 60 countries and international organizations, including India, have become part of this forum.
• Seychelles is the current Chairman of the CGPCS for the biennium 2016-17.