Every year, the Consortium of National Law Universities conducts the Common Law Admission Test (CLAT). The Consortium of National Law Universities conducts this Law admission test to get admission to 22 National Law Universities (NLUs).
This Common Law Admission Test (CLAT) is conducted to offer students to get admission in their various undergraduate and postgraduate programs related to Law.
The Common Law Admission Test (CLAT) is a National level law entrance examination. This Law admission test is conducted for the talented, hardworking, and extraordinary students who want to have a career in the Law field. It will get admission to one of the most renowned and reputed law universities in India.
- The medium of language in which the Common Law Admission Test (CLAT) 2023 will be conducted in English.
- The frequency of the Common Law Admission Test (CLAT) 2023 is once a year only. So, the students will get only one attempt to clear the CLAT entrance examination.
- The Common Law Admission Test (CLAT) 2023 application process will only be conducted online.
- The CLAT 2023 Application fee for the general category candidates is Rs. 4000/- which the candidate has to pay in online mode only thru debit card, credit card, net banking, and UPI.
- The students will get an opportunity to get admission to around 103 participating colleges through the Common Law Admission Test (CLAT) 2023.
- According to the CLAT Exam Pattern, the candidates will get a time of 2 hours, i.e., 120 minutes, to attempt or complete the Common Law Admission Test (CLAT) 2023.
- This year around 2538 seats have been announced for the Common Law Admission Test (CLAT) 2023 by the Consortium of National Law Universities.
- The Common Law Admission Test (CLAT) 2023 application form will be released from 8 August onwards by the Consortium of National Law Universities.
- The Common Law Admission Test (CLAT) 2023 will be held on 18th December 2023.
- There are 5 subjects in the Common Law Admission Test (CLAT) 2023 syllabus: English Language, Current Affairs, including General Knowledge, Legal Reasoning, Logical Reasoning, and Quantitative Techniques.
In this article, you will get to know the tips that will help you to avoid mistakes that happen in CLAT 2023.
Download Free Study Material For CLAT Exam by LegalEdge
Mistakes to Avoid During CLAT Preparation 2023
Below, you will learn the 5 mistakes to avoid during CLAT (Common Law Admission Test) 2023 preparation.
1. Not Utilising the OMR Sheet
- After a lot of thinking and understanding and talking to many students from 2011 to 2022 and analyzing all the student data, we learned that the biggest mistake every student makes is forgetting to use the OMR sheet.
- If you are an online student, you download the mocks online and submit them online, or you attempt the mock test in online mode only, ignoring the fact that the CLAT Entrance Exam is an offline test. So, it's a big mistake if you are not utilizing or using the OMR sheet.
- To use the OMR sheet, the best and the only way is that the bubbling part in your OMR sheet should be filled side by side while attempting the test.
- Many students attempt the test in such a way that they attempt their full test on a rough sheet of paper, and at the end, in the last 10 to 15 minutes, they start filling the OMR sheet.
- As per research, we got to know that many students don't practice this thing of filling the OMR sheet in the last 10 - 15 minutes, so because of this, a lot of students face problems and make mistakes while filling it.
- One mistake or one incorrect answer will turn your whole OMR sheet upside down. Filling the OMR sheet requires a high level of concentration, so the students should be well focused while filling the OMR sheet.
- If you are attempting online mock tests and not practicing OMR sheets, then you are making the same mistake you should avoid. So, immediately from the next mock test, start using the OMR sheet, and add time to your mock test solving time to fill the OMR sheet properly.
- If you add the time to your mock test, you will know that only 2 to 3 seconds of time is taken to fill a single bubble in the OMR sheet.
- So make sure that you use the OMR sheet Properly, download the OMR sheet, print the OMR sheet, and do proper bubbling in the OMR sheet.
- So, don’t make the same mistake of doing an oral mock test without using the OMR sheet, and don’t do the same thing as filling the whole OMR sheet in the end. Make sure to keep a note of this thing and don’t repeat it while preparing for CLAT 2023.
2. Random Number of Mocks. No Experimenting and No Analysis
- A random number of mocks means that you have a thirst for attempting N number of mocks for that you download as many mocks from different sites.
- Purchasing different test series from each site is the biggest mistake that you should avoid. If you are purchasing and attempting so many mocks, then you are not analyzing and not experimenting with your mocks, then you are making a very big mistake.
- If you think that giving so many mocks will enhance your preparation and score, you are on the wrong path.
- If you are giving so many mocks, then at one point in time, your score will definitely increase, but after some time, the score will be stable, and then he will start decreasing, so by giving so many mocks, it is not sure that your score will increase 100%.
- You can see many mock interviews conducted by LegalEdge of the CLAT All India Rank 4 and All India Rank 8 students, telling you that attempting many mocks won’t help you in your preparation.
- If you are proportioning the number of mocks with the CLAT score, then you are on the wrong path.
- The most important thing is that, on average, if you give only 2 to 3 mocks in a week, it is more than sufficient from today until the CLAT entrance examination day.
- And the more important thing is to analyze the mocks you are attempting in a week. After attempting the whole mock, you should analyze each question of every section by watching the mock analyzing video provided by LegalEdge.
- By watching the mock analysis video, you will know in which section you have scored well, in which sections your score is average, and in which section your score is low.
- After analysis, if you cannot figure out your problems, your weaker sections, and if you cannot figure out the cheat, take away each mock you are attempting, then you are on the wrong path.
- You have to make sure that if you are unable to make the Quantitative Aptitude section questions or any other section questions, then you should go back to your study material or ask your teacher or any expert and revise the topic in which you are facing problems.
- If you are not doing that and if you are unable to identify your mistake, your errors, and you are just writing the mock test for the sake of just writing it and imagining that your score will increase, then you are making a very huge mistake. Don’t do that.
- Don’t run for a number of mocks. Rather, run for the quality of mocks, run for analyzing the mocks. If your time to attempt the mock is 2 hours or 2.5 hours, then at least spend 3 to 5 hours analyzing the mocks.
- The time of analyzing the CLAT Mock Tests should be equal to or more than the time of attempting the mock. So, you make sure that you analyze each error; you should maintain an error book, a diary, and a copy for writing your errors.
- In that diary, you should write about every error you come across while attempting mock tests. We at LegalEdge provide 2 to 3 mocks every week to the students.
- So, if you think that the score obtained in Monday's mocks will help to increase the score of Wednesday's mocks and then Saturday's mock, then you are thinking wrong because at some point, you will reach a stable point after that, the score will not increase rapidly.
- In that case, to increase the score, you have to experiment. Many students do not want to experiment because they do not know the value of experimentation.
- This is a national-level competitive entrance examination. This exam is unique from what you have been doing in your class on the 11th and 12th because it is an MCQ-based test.
- This test consists of 5 sections, and you have to shuffle between the sections. There is no golden rule that you have to start the test from English, General Knowledge, or any other section, but you have to learn from which section you should start the test then comes the role of experimentation.
- If you are not experimenting and just doing the test like it is presented to you, then it is wrong. You should attempt that section first in which you are strong and can score good marks.
- Experimenting means testing the test. For example: if you start the test by attempting the English section first, then others, and then you notice how many questions you have attempted, and then from the next mock, you start from any other section and then notice how many questions you have attempted and so on. After some point, you will get to know from which section you should start your test; this happens due to experimenting.
- So, you should analyze and experiment with the mocks in order to avoid the mistake of just randomly attempting the mocks for the sake of attempting them.
Enhance your preparation levels with the help of the best CLAT online coaching classes.
3. CLAT Preparation Strategy: All Subjects Daily
- Most of the students make the mistake of studying and revising all subjects daily. They think by revising and studying daily, all the subjects will increase their score and speed, and they will gain something by doing this, then you are on the wrong track.
- Every subject is not created to do on a daily basis; you have to analyze your weaker section and to analyze it, you have to attempt mocks. For example - if you are weak in the English section, then you have to work on your English section more than any other section, or if you are weak in any other section, you have to work more in that section than other sections.
- Don’t give up on any of the sections. Identify your weaker section while attempting the mock test, and then target that section on a daily basis.
- If you want to study daily, there is only one section you can study daily: the General Knowledge section (GK).
- If you think your general knowledge is weak, you should read newspapers daily and be updated on what is happening. Reading the Newspaper for the CLAT Exam will help improve your vocabulary and general knowledge.
- The important tip is to identify your two weakest sections and only practice and study those 2 weakest sections daily to change your weakest sections into your strongest sections.
- You have to set some targets. For example - if you have attempted 20 questions from the English section in your first mock test, then you have to set a target that you will attempt around 23 questions in your next mock test that will increase your speed and make you more accurate with your answers.
- There are multiple resources, but the main problem is that we have multiple resources, and because of that, students get confused and try to study from each and every resource that is wrong.
- This will waste a lot of your time. You should learn from the best 2 - 3 resources, not from each resource that everyone tells you about.
- Identify the 2 weakest sections, practice them daily, and the 3 sections practice them on alternate days or weeks, whichever way you feel. In this way, you can Enhance your CLAT Time Management skills.
- Please don’t make this mistake; this will harm your CLAT examination and preparation. From now on, remember this and avoid making this mistake study only 2 weakest sections or study GK and 1 of your weakest sections daily.
4. CLAT Preparation Strategy: Giving Up On One Section
- Most of the students skip, or you can say, give up on 1 of their weaker sections. That is wrong because giving up or skipping a section is not the correct thing to crack CLAT 2023.
- Each and every section is important to clear the entrance examination.
- So, now LegalEdge will help you to avoid this mistake by providing you with proper guidance and study material for each section.
- Every student has different sections that they find difficult to crack. For example - some students find Quantitative Techniques tough, and some find GK tough, some find English tough, etc.
- Every student has different problems and different loopholes, and this might lead you to give up one section. And they think that they will practice as hard as they can for the other 4 sections and will clear the CLAT examination easily.
- You can clear the CLAT Examination on the first attempt by giving up one section, but that will not help you get admission in the top 5 NLUs you will get admission in the top 15th or top 13th NLU. Skipping 1 section is not the correct option.
- You should study all the sections to get admission to the top 5 NLUs (National Law Universities). There is very high competition between students; even a 1 mark or 2 marks can cost you damage, and your dream of studying in the top 5 NLUs will be shattered.
- If you think QT or any other section is a weaker section of yours, then start practicing that from today onwards so that you will at least score some marks in that section and can, enhance your scorecard, and can get admission to the Top 3 NLUs.
- Don’t make this mistake; giving up the section will cost you a lot. Keep practicing the tough section according to you and make it your strong section.
- From whichever coaching institute you are studying, tell them to help you in your weaker section and ask your teachers for every doubt of yours and clear that doubt thoroughly.
- Now you have sufficient time so do not give up any section, practice as hard as you can and make your parents and yourself proud.
- As we all have heard that it's never too late to study, so if today is your 1st day then also don’t worry you will crack it. Just follow all the tips mentioned in this article and try to avoid these mistakes while preparing.
- You know yourself more than anybody, so don’t cheat with yourself, do not skip any section.
Read more: Short tricks to enhance your time management skills for the CLAT exam
5. Not Ready For Surprises
- There were 2 years in which CLAT had given us many surprises. The years are 2015 and 2016.
- Many of the aspirants thought that the level of difficulty of the CLAT examination was quite normal and decent. They thought that the CLAT examination was an easy, competitive examination. It can not be difficult; it will be easy to moderate.
- But in 2015, the level of difficulty of the CLAT examination changed from easy to moderate to only difficult and more difficult. 80% of the students were shocked and surprised after seeing the difficulty level of the CLAT examination. As a result, the students who were not prepared for this level of CLAT examination landed in the colleges they had gotten by their merit without giving the examination.
- In 2016, the level CLAT examination was so easy that students were prepared for the difficult paper but got so easy that they were shocked after seeing the CLAT examination.
- Because of this easy paper also, students were in trouble because they thought that it was not possible that all my answers were right. There were some mistakes, thinking that they had underperformed in the examination, but the smart students attempted all the questions easily and scored a very excellent score.
- The CLAT Cut Off was very high due to the easy paper, and the toppers got the best NLUs, the average students who had underperformed due to fear got down to 17th and 18th rank NLU.
- If you are someone who is not ready for the surprises or if you are someone who is still thinking that CBSE or ICSE blueprint structure or the level and type of paper the school made will come and you will prepare according to that.
- That the topic has maximum weightage should be studied first. This technique is totally wrong. Do not follow it for the CLAT examination preparation.
- Prepare all the topics of all the sections thoroughly. There is no rule book for the CLAT Exam Preparation. You just have to prepare yourself for the last-minute surprises.
- Prepare well; otherwise, you can also get shocks after seeing the examination. The biggest mistake to avoid is that you should have to prepare yourself for the surprises.
- To avoid this mistake, LegalEdge provides you all levels of mocks i.e., easy, too easy, moderate, difficult, and too much difficult. This kind of practice of the mocks will help you deal with surprises and shocks. So make sure you do not make this mistake at all.