In many Aptitude Exams, English subjects play a very significant role. The English section, mainly the topic Reading Comprehension, has a maximum weightage, and students also find it challenging to solve because it is time-consuming.
In the English section, there are many topics like Para Jumbles, Vocabulary, Reading Comprehension, Cloze Test, etc. Most of the candidates find it difficult to score in the English section.
In this article, you will get to know all the short tricks you can use in your aptitude exam to solve Reading Comprehension, Para Jumbles, Vocabulary, Cloze Test, etc.
Short Tricks to Solve Reading Comprehension in Aptitude Exams
- The first thing is that you should know why Reading Comprehension is asked in every Aptitude Exam. If you know the answer, it will probably open a new avenue for you, and you will have a different version of looking at the reading comprehension passages.
Download Free Study Material for CUET Exam by SuperGrads
- The Reading Comprehension passage means what you understand because comprehension means understanding, so you know what you know when you read the passage. So whatever questions are asked, they are based on the passage itself. So, they want to see if they will enrol you. Would you be able to read and understand what’s given to you and that’s the criteria that almost everybody follows because this is an excellent method or a strategy to check your mental ability.
- The Reading Comprehension Passage is very easy to handle if you have some excellent techniques; if you know how to deal with the reading comprehension passage, it will become the easiest part of any given entrance exam.
- Apart from other things that you might already know, the one thing which we advise to all of you is that you should skim the passage first. So, if you are given a reading comprehension passage, you should go through the passage just read it at a glance.
- You don’t have to read every word given in the passages, you have to focus on the first paragraph and the first line of each paragraph, and then you glance through the passage.
- While reading the passage, you should mark some important words. The important words like a name, a date or anything such as a determiner, conjunctions that show contrast especially like, However, though, etc.
- So it would help if you marked any word which you feel is important while reading the passage. And then, of course, focusing on the first line and the lifeline of each passage is also very important because that word conveys an essential idea which the writer wants to focus on when he’s writing the given passage.
- The last paragraph serves as a conclusion, so you should focus a little more on the last paragraph as well.
- You should know about reading comprehension passages because you should read the questions and find the most important part of them. You have already skimmed the passage, so you could go back and see the important words of the questions and find the answer to that question. For example, the question talks about one particular aspect of the passage you know that you have read about it and let’s say it is in the 2nd paragraph of the passage, so it will be easy for you to find the answer in that paragraph itself.
- While doing this technique of scanning will reduce a lot of time and help you deal with the passage in the shortest time possible.
- You should practice as many reading comprehension passages as you can and follow this technique of scanning.
- The other thing which you should know while practising reading comprehension passages is how to anticipate. Anticipation is when you think about what to expect next. For example – I went to t market to buy groceries and could not find anything for myself until the manager came and offered to assist me. As you see in this sentence, there are several spelling mistakes, but I m sure you didn’t notice it while glancing through the passage. It is not important to read every word written in front of you; just anticipating reading quickly and anticipating what would come next will help you understand the passage well and enhance your reading skills and reading speed.
- It would be best to practice reading comprehension passages by applying the techniques mentioned above, i.e. skimming and scanning.
- If you want to practice the best reading comprehension passage, visit our website, i.e. www.toprankers.com. And you will get all types of passages which can come in the Aptitude exams.
These are all the techniques and tricks mentioned above that are important to solve the reading comprehension passage.