Updated On : June 30, 2023
What to expect from this article: To pass the NID DAT exam with excellent grades, you must develop an effective exam preparation strategy. This includes choosing the appropriate study material, creating a study schedule, taking notes, and attending mock tests. This article will discuss all aspects of the NID entrance exam section-wise preparation and NID 2024 Last-Minute Preparation Tips.
The NIDs, or National Institutes of Design, are India's premier autonomous design education institutions. The main three campuses are NID Ahmedabad, NID Vijayawada, and NID Kurukshetra.
NID Ahmedabad, an 'Institute of National Importance,' has three campuses. NID Ahmedabad (Main campus or Heritage campus), NID Gandhinagar (PG campus), and NID Bangalore (R & D campus).
Admission to this institute is primarily through the NID Entrance Exam, which consists of two tests:
These tests aim to assess candidates' knowledge, skills, and behavioural characteristics.
1. Practise basic shapes in sketching: Use a pencil to draw circles, squares, rectangles, and triangles. Use line weight and shading to create depth. Practice perspective and depth by drawing cubes, cylinders, and gesture drawing to capture the movement of objects and spheres.
2. Prepare for MCQs: We understand it carries lesser weightage compared to drawing but every mark in NID counts! Therefore revise the important topics and questions from previous year's papers, mocks and question banks.
3. Take Mocks: Even at the end of your preparation, if you find time, take mocks. It will boost your confidence! Take mock tests and time yourself to get a feel of the actual exam
4. Revision of important concepts: Revise the concepts you thoroughly know, and do not pick any new topic to study. It's time for revision only! For creative exams like NID, understanding the concepts properly, rather than just memorising them, is important. Revision can help you with accuracy and speed to ace the exam
5. Go through previous year's papers: Solving past papers can help you understand the type of questions you may be asked and how best to answer them. If lucky, you might even have repeated questions in NID 2024 paper.
6. Take rest and good care of your health: Ensure you are in a good physical and mental state to perform to the best of your abilities. Managing stress levels is important to maintain good physical and mental health and to help you focus during the exam. Any amount of worrying does no good now!
For the first part of the DAT Prelims, here are some sample questions based on the following topics (please note that the exam questions are not limited to the following examples)
Possible topics that can appear in your exam.
Read More: How To Prepare For NID 2024 In 6 Months?
The second part of DAT Prelims covers topics such as the following.
Referring to NID entrance exam sample question papers is always a boon to understanding the type of questions that are usually asked, which are available on the official website of NID.
Design Aptitude Test (DAT) Mains
Candidates who have completed the preliminary DAT Prelims are eligible for this exam. The DAT Mains consists primarily of the following components: drawing or creative thinking; material handling; audio-visual rounds; observation or psychometric and thematic tests.
The topics covered in NID DAT Mains are as follows:
Drawing or creative thinking questions - Topics covered here are pretty much on the same lines as the second part of DAT Prelims which is explained above. You may also be asked to sketch or explain any activity or work assigned to you during the studio test, so fluency and practice in sketching will come in handy here as well.
Material handling includes 3D model creation based on creative material manipulation and thinking outside the box. Clay, straws, rubber bands, toothpicks, wire, cloth, and other materials may be provided. Material handling tools may or may not be provided, but candidates are advised to bring a few materials or tools such as cello tape, glue, sandpaper, pliers, steel rulers, paper cutters, and so on.
The key to this activity is to use materials wisely and build stable or sustainable structures appropriate for the given theme and time frame. Though material handling may not be as simple as it appears, practice is essential. Try practising at home with common household items. While material handling questions are asked of all prospective B. Des and GDPD students, some PG programs, such as interaction design or information design, do not. Material handling is present in product design, toy and game design, and so on.
The main campus of NID Ahmedabad provides both a four-year Bachelor of Design (B. Des) and a 2.5-year Masters of Design (M. Des) program.
In contrast, the Gandhinagar and Bangalore campuses only offer the 2.5-year Masters of Design (M. Des).
On the other hand, NID Vijayawada and NID Kurukshetra only offer a four-year Graduate Diploma in Design (GDPD).
Graduate programs (B. Des) offered at NID Ahmedabad are of the following specializations:
Read More: Courses Offered through NID 2024
Graduate Diploma programs in Design (GDPD) offered at NID Vijayawada and NID Kurukshetra are in the following three specializations are
Postgraduate programs (MDes) offered at NID Ahmedabad are of the following specializations:
Read More: How to prepare for the NID studio test
There are several books out there that can guide you on how to prepare for the NID entrance exam.
The below-mentioned books might help you.
Read more: NID 2024 Preparation Books
Creative Edge, a TopRankers initiative, is one of the top online NID entrance exam coaching centres.
Here, we make your NID entrance exam preparation more effective and easier to process. We help you to shape your skills and nourish your qualities to excel in the exam.
Read more: Time Management Tips for NID 2024
The results for the NID 2024 Prelims exam will be released soon.
The selection process for the NID 2024 mains test will be based on the performance of the candidates in the prelims exam. The selected candidates will be called for the mains exam and further selection process.
Candidates who have cleared the prelims exam can prepare for the mains exam with full dedication and enthusiasm.
All the best to all the aspirants!
Frequently Asked Questions
What documents to carry on the day of the of NID DAT Exam 2024?
Is Studio Test and Interview both mandatory to get admission in NID?
What are the important topics under NID DAT Entrance Exam Syllabus 2024?
What is the syllabus for NID Entrance Exam?
How Can I manage time in NID Exam?
How many questions are asked in NID DAT Prelims exam for B.Des course?
Is there any negative marking in NID Exam?
What is the difficulty level of NID CAT exam?
How to prepare for NID CAT 2023?
Does NID Entrance Syllabus varies every year?