India is rapidly moving into the mobile app age and is already the fourth-largest mobile app economy.
• The amount of time Indians spend on apps has also increased dramatically, says mobile-app analytics company App Annie.
• In total app downloads per year, only China, US, and Brazil are ahead of India.
• The annual figure for India is projected to grow by 92% to reach 7.7 billion downloads this year, and further to 20.1 billion by 2020.
• China’s app download is expected to grow at a much slower 29% this year, but the absolute figure will be more than 6 times that of India’s at 49 billion.
• The amount of time Indians spent on apps in the first quarter of 2016 more than doubled compared to that in the first quarter of 2014.
• In retail apps, the time spent grew by 11.5 times during the same period, driven by e-commerce majors like Flipkart-Myntra, Amazon, and Snapdeal.
• The time spent on video streaming apps grew by 7.4 times, with YouTube and Hotstar leading the way.