RBI raises peer-to-peer lending limit five-times to 50 lakh
• The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has raised its lending limit to peer-to-peer (P2P) platforms five-folds to 50 lakh from current 10 lakh.
• However, the exposure of a single borrower is capped at 50,000 across all NBFC-P2P platforms.
• The decision was made after “a review of the functioning of the lending platforms and lending limit was carried out by RBI.”
• In the P2P industry, individual borrowers are connected to lenders through digital platforms, and the platform just plays the role of a marketplace. More than 15 companies have registered with the RBI as non-banking finance company P2P lending platforms.
Rajendran Chinna Veerappan Re-appointed MD & CEO of CSB Bank
• The board of directors of Kerala based CSB Bank (formerly known as Catholic Syrian Bank) has re-appointed Rajendran Chinna Veerappan as Managing Director and CEO of the Bank.
• He will serve the second three years terms with effect from 9 December till 8 December 2022.
• Veerappan has been on CSB board since November 2016 and his tenure was to end on 8 December.
Assam govt sets up Anti-Depredation squads
• The Assam government has set up 15 Anti-Depredation Squads of the Forest department to deal with human-wildlife conflicts in the state.
• The anti-depredation squads will be stationed in 15 major human-wildlife conflict districts of the state to deal with the problem and ensure the safety of both humans and animals.
• The anti-depredation squads will be equipped with all logistics required for mitigating the conflict. The squads will have 12 bore pump action guns and rubber bullet ammunition.
President Kovind Presents National Florence Nightingale Awards 2019
• The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, presented the National Florence Nightingale Awards to nursing personnel during a ceremony on December 5, 2019 in New Delhi as a part of the International Nurses Day.
• 36 nursing professionals were conferred the National Florence Nightingale Awards 2019 for their meritorious services.
• The award was instituted by the Government of India in 1973 and are named after Florence Nightingale, the founder of modern nursing.
• The World Health Organisation (WHO) has announced 2020 as the Year of the Nurse and Mid-wife.
• 2020 also mark the 200th birth anniversary of Florence Nightingale.
Indian Army lifts Sudan Polo Cup
• The Indian Army team lifts Sudan Polo Cup, one the most prestigious polo tournament, beating beats British Army team . The match took place at the Jaipur Polo Grounds in Delhi between the both the polo teams.
• In a well contested match, the Indian team won the match by 5-3 following which Vice Chief of Indian Army Lieutenant General Manoj Mukund Naravane felicitated the teams.
• The Sudan Cup, is one of the most prestigious polo tournament, played between the British Army and the Indian Army alternately in India and UK. It was instituted in 1922.
Armed Forces Flag Day: 7 December
Armed Forces Flag Day or the Flag Day of India is observed annually in India on December 7 since 1949 as an honour to the soldiers, sailors and airmen of India who fought on the borders to keep the country safe.
India’s Top 10 Police Stations for 2019 announced
• Government has released the list of best performing Police stations from across the country. The Top 10 Police Stations in the country are:-
1. Aberdeen- Andaman, Andaman & Nicobar Islands
2. Balasinor- Mahisagar, Gujarat
3. Ajk Burhanpur- Burhanpur, Madhya Pradesh
4. AWPS Theni- Theni , Tamil Nadu
5. Anini- Dibang Valley, Arunachal Pradesh
6. Baba Haridas Nagar, Dwarka- South West, District Delhi
7. Bakani- Jhalawar, Rajasthan
8. Choppadandi (M)- Karimnagar, Telangana
9. Bicholim- North Goa, Goa
10. Bargawa- Sheopur, Madhya Pradesh
• The objective was to rank the top 10 Police Stations out of 15,579 Police Stations in the country through data analysis, direct observation and public feedback. The ranking process commenced with shortlisting of the best performing Police Stations, in each State on the basis of addressing
1. Property offence
2. Crime against women
3. Crime against weaker sections.
• Number of Police Stations selected initially from each State comprise of:
1. Three from each State with more than 750 Police Stations
2. Two from all other States and Delhi
3. One from each Union Territory
International Civil Aviation Day: 7 December
• The International Civil Aviation Day is celebrated every year on December 7 to recognize the importance of aviation to the social and economic development of the world.
• The Day was established in 1994 TO celebrate the 50th anniversary of International Civil Aviation Organization.