On 9 May 2016 The Reserve Bank of India announced that it will shortly issue 1000 rupees denomination banknotes with the inset letter 'R' in both the number panels.
• It will be done in the Mahatma Gandhi Series – 2005
• It will carry the signature of Dr. Raghuram G. Rajan, Governor, Reserve Bank of India on the obverse.
• The banknotes of 1000 rupees banknotes will have six angular bleed lines in four sets of 1-2-2-1 lines on the obverse in both, the upper left and right hand edge of the banknotes.
• These will facilitate identification of these notes by visually impaired persons.
• All the banknotes in the denomination of 1000 rupees issued by the Reserve Bank in the past, including 1000 rupees denomination banknotes with ascending size of numerals in the number panels but without bleed lines and enlarged identification mark, will continue to be legal tender.