SSC CHSL Exam Pattern 2020
- SSC CHSL Exam Pattern 2020
- SSC CHSL Exam Pattern 2020 Highlights
- Changes in the SSC CHSL Exam Pattern 2020
- SSC CHSL Tier 1 Exam Pattern 2020
- SSC CHSL Tier 2 Exam Pattern 2020
- SSC CHSL Tier 3 Exam Pattern 2020
- SSC CHSL Exam pattern: Document Verification
- SSC CHSL Exam Pattern – Key Points
- SSC CHSL Syllabus 2020
- SSC CHSL Preparation Tips 2020
- SSC CHSL Preparation Books 2020
- SSC CHSL Exam Pattern FAQ’s
The Staff Selection Commission conducts the Combined Higher Secondary Level (CHSL) Exam every year to fill various posts under different departments & organizations in the Government of India. Candidates will get the complete details of the SSC CHSL Exam Pattern in this post.
- As per the latest news, the SSC CHSL Tier 1 Exam is scheduled to be held in the month of August 2020.
- The SSC CHSL 2020 Exam involves three stages: Tier 1, Tier 2, and Tier 3. All the stages are qualifying in nature.
- To ease out your preparation for the exam, we have provided stage-wise SSC Exam pattern CHSL.
- Candidates who will clear the Cut Off of Tier I exam will be eligible to write the Tier II/ Descriptive Test.
- Solving SSC CHSL Previous Year Question Papers will help candidates to know the difficulty level of paper and type of questions asked in the exam.
SSC CHSL Exam Pattern 2020
The SSC CHSL Tier 1 Exam will be held from 17 to 21 August 2020 & 24 to 27 August 2020. Candidates must be aware of the SSC CHSL Syllabus and exam pattern 2020 to better succeed in the exam.
- SSC CHSL Tier 1 Exam Pattern comprises four sections: General Intelligence, English Language, Quantitative Aptitude, and General Awareness.
- Candidates can view or download the SSC CHSL Exam pattern PDF Download from the official website.
- According to the SSC CHSL Exam pattern 2020 in Hindi, candidates can also attempt the exam in the Hindi language. However, they have to choose the option at the time of online registration.
- Students can go through the SSC CHSL Memory Based Paper to prepare well for the upcoming exam.
SSC CHSL Exam Pattern 2020 Highlights
Let us have a look at the table below to the exam pattern of both Tier 1 and Tier 2 of SSC CHSL 2020 Exam.
|Particulars||SSC CHSL Tier-I Exam||SSC CHSL Tier-II Exam|
|Exam mode||Online (computer-based test)||Offline (pen-and-paper based test)|
|Number of sections & subjects||4 (English Language, General Intelligence, Quantitative Aptitude, and General Awareness)||2 (Essay and Letter/Application)|
|Exam duration||1 hour (60 minutes)||1 hour (60 minutes)|
|Number of questions||100||2|
|Type of questions||MCQs; 4 options with 1 correct option||Descriptive questions|
|Language of paper||English and Hindi||English and Hindi|
Changes in the SSC CHSL Exam Pattern 2020
It is important that candidates must go through the new Changes that have been introduced in the SSC CHSL Exam 2020.
- Previously, the questions asked in the Tier 1 exam were according to the section, but now the questions asked will be in jumbled format.
- The time limit for the Tier 1 exam has been reduced from 75 minutes to 60 minutes.
- It is mentioned in the SSC CHSL 2020 Notification that there is no sectional cut off in the Tier 1 exam.
- Candidates must ensure to complete the exam in the allotted time.
SSC CHSL Tier 1 Exam Pattern 2020
Tier I examination is the very first step of the CHSL recruitment process. Let us first look at the table mentioned below to understand it properly:
- Tier 1 CHSL Exam has not been divided into sections. Questions are in a mixed format and can be asked from any of the 4 Subjects randomly.
- 25 questions are asked from each section and each question carries +2 marks.
- The duration of the Tier 1 exam is 60 Minutes.
- Candidates can check the SSC CHSL Preparation Tips for the SSC CHSL 2020 Tier 1 as the exam will get conducted in a few days.
|Subject||No. of Questions||Maximum Marks||Time|
|Reasoning Ability||25||50||60 minutes in total
(80 minutes for candidates eligible for scribes)
SSC CHSL Tier 1 Marking Scheme
Candidates will be awarded +2 marks for each correctly answered question in the SSC CHSL 2020 Exam. According to the SSC CHSL Exam pattern Negative Marking, 0.5 marks will be deducted for each wrong answer.
|Type of Answer||Marks|
|Correct Answer||+2 Marks|
|Wrong Answer||– 0.5 Marks|
|Unattempted Question||No Marks|
SSC CHSL Tier 2 Exam Pattern 2020
Candidates who will score more than the SSC CHSL Cut Off in Tier 1 exam are eligible to appear for the Tier II exam. The Tier 2 exam will be a Descriptive Test. There will be two questions (Letter and Essay).
- As mentioned in the table, CHSL Tier 2 Pattern will consist of 2 questions; Letter/ Application and Essay Writing.
- As per the pattern of the SSC CHSL Descriptive Exam, Tier 2 can be written in both Hindi/ English.
- Each question will carry 50 marks and there is no negative marking.
- This Tier of SSC CHSL will be a paper & pen Test.
- All the candidates need to score a minimum of 33% to qualify for Tier-III/ Skill Test examination.
- Marks obtained in this round of the examination process will be considered while preparing the Final Merit List.
Now, in order to understand the CHSL Tier 2 Pattern, let’s look at the table mentioned below.
|Section||No. of Questions||Maximum Marks|
SSC CHSL Tier 3 Exam Pattern 2020
Candidates who will get shortlisted in the Tier 2 exam are eligible to appear for the Tier 3 Exam. According to the SSC Exam Pattern 12th Level, this is the last phase of the examination process for SSC CHSL. In Tier III examination, candidates Typing and computer proficiency is tested.
SSC CHSL Skill Test
- In typing test, candidates need to be proficient enough to type with a speed of 8000 key depressions per hour.
- You will be provided with a printed sheet and will be given 15 minutes of time to type approximately 2000-2200 words.
|Data Entry Operator||Data Entry Speed of 8,000 Key Depressions per hour on Computer. The ‘Speed of 8000 key depressions per hour on computer’ will be adjudged on the basis of the correct entry of words/ key depressions as per the given passage||The duration of the Test will be 15 minutes and printed matter in English containing about 2000-2200 key-depressions would be given to each candidate who would enter the same in the Computer|
|Data Entry Operator in the Office of the Comptroller and Auditor General of India (C&AG)||The ‘speed of 15000 key depressions per hour on Computer’ will be adjudged on the basis of the correct entry of words/ key depressions as per the given passage||The duration of the Test will be 15 minutes and printed matter in English containing about 3700-4000 key-depressions would be given to each candidate who would enter the same in the Computer|
SSC CHSL Typing Test
- For qualified candidates, the typing test will be conducted on computers provided by the Commission or its authorized agency.
- If a candidate chooses English, they need to type 35 words per minute.
- For Hindi Typing, 30 words per minute.
- The total time to finish the typing test will be 10 minutes.
- Marks will be awarded on the basis of accuracy as well as speed.
|Typing Test||Typing Speed||Time|
|English Medium||35 words per minute (w.p.m.) correspond to about 10500 key depressions per hour||The speed will be adjudged on the accuracy of typing on the Computer of a given text passage in 10 minutes (Candidates eligible for a scribe – 15 minutes)|
|Hindi Medium||30 words per minute (w.p.m.) correspond to about 9000 key depressions per hour|
SSC CHSL Exam pattern: Document Verification
The last step of the final selection of the SSC CHSL Exam would be document verification. Final selection and allocation of Ministries or Departments or Offices will be made based on the performance of the candidates in Tier 1 and Tier 2 examinations and the preference of posts submitted by them at the time of Document Verification.
Documents Required for Verification
Candidates need to submit below-mentioned documents at the time of the Final Selection Process :
- Matriculation Certificate
- Educational Qualification Certificate
- Caste certificate
- Photo ID Proof ( Aadhar Card/Voter ID/PAN Card/Passport/Driving License/Employer ID/Government School or College ID Card)
- Relevant document (if any relaxation is taken)
SSC CHSL Exam Pattern – Key Points
- The candidates belonging to Scheduled Caste, Scheduled Tribes, OBC, EX-Servicemen, and PH are not likely to be available for skill test, will be called for the skill test by the commission if a sufficient number of candidates are not likely to be available for the test.
- Candidates who will get qualified in the skill test at a speed of 800 key depressions per hour are being recommended for the CPO post based on the merit list.
- All the candidates who will get qualified in the written exam must appear for the skill test, which is qualifying in nature.
- Skill Test is an essential qualification for the post of Data Entry Operator.
- As per the notification, the skill test will be held at the Commission’s Regional Offices.
SSC CHSL Syllabus 2020
Before starting the preparation, it is important for candidates to go through the SSC CHSL Exam Pattern and Syllabus. Check the details syllabus of SSC CHSL 2020 mentioned below and plan your preparation accordingly for the exam.
SSC CHSL Tier 1 Syllabus 2020
Let’s look at the important topics covered in various sections of SSC CHSL Tier I examination;
|Reasoning Ability||Logical reasoning, Alphanumeric series, Ranking, Direction, Puzzles, Blood relations, Syllogism, Coding-decoding, Data Sufficiency, Seating arrangement, Coded inequalities, etc.|
|Quantitative Aptitude||Simplification, Profit & Loss, Mixtures & Alligations, Interest, Surds, Indices, Work & time, Speed time & distance, Mensuration, Data interpretation, etc.|
|English Language||Reading comprehension, Cloze test, Para-jumbles, Miscellaneous, Fill in the blanks, Error spotting, Paragraph completion, One-word substitution, Active and passive voice, etc.|
|General Awareness||History, culture, geography, economic science, general policy, scientific research, awards and honors, books and authors, etc.|
SSC CHSL Tier 2 Syllabus 2020
Tie 2 Paper will be a descriptive Paper for 100 Marks and it will be conducted in ‘Pen and Paper’ Mode. Go through the SSC CHSL Tier 2 Syllabus which is tabulated below:
|Important Descriptive Paper Topics (Hindi/ English)||Word Limit (Approximately)||Total Marks and Duration|
|Essay Writing||200 – 250||100 (1 Hour)|
|Letter/Application Writing||150 – 200|
SSC CHSL Preparation Tips 2020
The Tier 1 Exam is just about to commence. The preparation tips will help in guiding you and will get you ready for any hurdle that you might face. Keep these important tips in mind-
- The high scoring topics in the Reasoning section are- puzzles, figure-based questions, analogy, coding-decoding, series. Make sure to get a good understanding of these topics so you can attempt most questions asked from them.
- It is important to know about awards, head of states, neighbouring countries, books & authors.
- Solve Free SSC CHSL Mock Tests and previous year question papers every day.
- Allot at least 2 hours to practice Quantitative Aptitude as it is considered to be the most challenging section of the paper.
- Go through all important Formulas every day so you can memorize it by heart.
- While preparing for the GK section, make sure you give time to both Static G.K and current affairs.
- Topics like Simplification, age problems, interest, percentages, ratio, and proportion are high scoring in this section. Make sure to master these topics.
- Reading the newspaper regularly will help your General Awareness, Grammar & Vocabulary.
- Candidates are advised to solve General Awareness Quiz on a daily basis and doing this will help increase your confidence levels.
- For the English Section, practice Synonyms, antonyms & vocabulary words and you can easily conquer this section.
SSC CHSL Preparation Books 2020
As per the experts, choosing the right SSC CHSL Books will help the candidate to better prepare for the exam.
- For the convenience of all students planning to appear for this examination, we have assembled a list of best books that you can refer to.
- The list of preparation books mentioned below covers all sections of the Syllabus.
- We have segregated our suggested books according to subjects. Candidates are free to choose from the variety of mentioned books to help in preparation.
Best General Intelligence Preparation Books
The table below has some of the General Intelligence Books that candidates can get their hands on.
|Verbal and Non-Verbal Reasoning||RS Aggarwal|
|Analytical Reasoning||M K Pandey|
|A New Approach to Reasoning Verbal and Nonverbal (English)||BS Sijwali, Indu Sijwal|
Best Quantitative Aptitude Preparation Books
For Quant/Math section we suggest the following books to study from
|Quantitative Aptitude||R.S. Agarwal|
|Quicker Mathematics||M. Tyra|
|Elementary and Advanced Mathematics||Kiran Prakashan|
Best Preparation Books For English Section
Check the best books for the preparation of SSC CHSL English section from the table below.
|Objective English for Competitive Examinations||Tata McGraw Hill|
|Competitive General English||Kiran Prakashan|
|Objective General English||SP Bakshi|
|Quick Learning Objective General English||RS Aggarwal & Vikas Aggarwal|
General Awareness Best Preparation Books
The candidates can consider the following preparation books for General Awareness:
|Manorama Yearbook 2019 (English and Hindi)||Malayalam Manorama|
|Lucent’s General Knowledge (English and Hindi)||Lucent’s|
SSC CHSL Exam Pattern FAQ’s
1) In how many stages is the SSC CHSL exam held?
A) The Staff Selection Commission conducts the SSC CHSL Recruitment 2020 every year to hire for various administrative positions in the government. The SSC CHSL Exam is conducted in three stages:
- Tier-1 Exam (Multiple Choice Questions)
- Tier-2 Exam (Descriptive Paper)
- Tier-3 Exam (Skill Test & Typing Test)
Only Candidates who qualify in all these exams will be selected for the final selection process.
2) In which mode is the SSC CHSL exam conducted?
A) As per the Exam pattern of SSC CHSL 2020, the exam is conducted in different modes. Check below to know the mode of Tier-1, Tier-2, and Tier-3 exams.
- The Tier-1 exam is conducted in online mode and the duration of the exam is for one hour.
- Tier-2 Exam, a descriptive paper exam is conducted in offline mode and the duration of the exam is one hour.
- Tier-3 Exam is conducted in offline mode but taken on a computer to check typing or data entry speed of candidates.
3) In which language is the SSC CHSL exam paper set?
A) SSC CHSL exam papers are set in English and Hindi languages for all tiers by the commission. Candidates can choose to answer their respective papers in either of the languages at the time filling the SSC CHSL Application Form. However, a paper which is partly written in English and Hindi is rejected by the SSC.
4) Is it mandatory to appear for all the tiers of the SSC CHSL exam?
A) Yes, it is mandatory to appear for all three tiers of the SSC CHSL exam. Candidates who qualify in the Tier-1 exam are eligible for the Tier-2 exam and those who qualify in the Tier-2 exam are eligible for the Tier-3 exam. Only Candidates who qualify in the Tier-3 exam are called for the final selection process.
5) What is the weightage of the SSC CHSL Tier-II exam?
A) The Tier-2 paper is a descriptive type of paper. SSC CHSL Tier-II Exam holds a weight of 100 marks. The exam contains two sections such as Letter/ Application writing for 50 marks and an Essay writing for the other 50 marks. The duration of the tier-2 exam is for one hour.
6) Is there negative marking in SSC CHSL exam?
A) Yes. According to the SSC CHSL 2020 Exam Pattern, there is a negative marking in the SSC CHSL Exam. 0.25 marks will be deducted for every wrong answer in the Tier-1 exam. There is no negative marking in the Tier-2 and Tier-3 exams. Candidates have to qualify in all the three exams in order to select for the final selection process.
7) What type of questions comes in SSC CHSL 2020 Exam?
As per the SSC CHSL Paper Pattern, the tier-I exam consists of objective-type questions, the CHSL Tier-II paper contains descriptive questions on essay/letter/application writing whereas CHSL Tier-III exam is a skill/typing test.
8) In which language is the SSC CHSL Exam Paper set?
As per the notification, the SSC CHSL exam papers are set in both English and Hindi languages for all the tiers. Candidates can select either of the languages to write the answers. However, the paper will get rejected by the commission if it is partly written in English and Hindi.
9) Is it mandatory to appear for all the tiers of the SSC CHSL 2020 exam?
Yes. As per the SSC CHSL Notification, it is mandatory for the candidates to appear for all the tiers of the exam. Candidates who will get qualified in the paper 1 exam are called for paper 2. Candidates who will score above the cut off will be eligible to appear for the Tier 3 exam. The final selection will be based on the marks scored in the Tier 3 exam.
Share your thoughts/queries here!