SSC CGL Tier 2 Syllabus 2020: Important Topics & Preparation Tips
- SSC CGL Tier 2 Syllabus 2020
- SSC CGL Exam Pattern 2020
- SSC CGL Subject-Wise Tier 2 Syllabus 2020
- SSC CGL Tier 2 Important Topics & Weightage of Questions 2020
- SSC CGL Exam Analysis for Tier 2
- Preparation of SSC CGL Tier 2 Syllabus 2020
The Staff Selection Commission has scheduled the second stage of SSC CGL Exam in the month of October 2020. All the Tier 1 qualifiers are advised to begin their preparation for the Tier 2 exam well in advance. To help all candidates enhance their preparations, go through the detailed SSC CGL Tier 2 Syllabus provided in this post. For any preparation to be successful, knowing all the important topics and studying them from the recommended books is essential. This post takes you through all the details of SSC CGL 2020 Tier 2 Syllabus, preparation methods, important topics, and which books to be referred.
SSC CGL Tier 2 Syllabus 2020
- As per the SSC CGL Syllabus, there are four sections i.e., Quantitative Aptitude, English Language, Statistics, and General Studies in Tier 2 Exam.
- This is also an online mode of exam – Computer Based Test with a total of 500 Multiple Choice Questions for 800 marks.
- Candidates who have qualified the Tier 1 Exam are advised to study the important topics instead of studying unnecessary topics.
- Follow expert SSC CGL Tier 2 Preparation Tips to clear the exam in one attempt above the cut off marks.
- Quantitative Aptitude and English Language are mandatory for all posts whereas Statistics is only for JSO post and General Studies is for AAO post.
SSC CGL Exam Pattern 2020
Have a look at the brief SSC CGL Exam Pattern for the second stage of CGL below:
- There are a total of 500 Multiple Choice Questions in the exam.
- The time allotted to complete SSC CGL Tier 2 is 2 hours (2 hours 40 minutes for disabled candidates)
- There is a negative marking of 0.25 for each wrong answer
|Section||Maximum Marks||No. of Questions|
|English Language & Comprehension||200||200|
|General Studies (Finance and Economics)||200||100|
SSC CGL Subject-Wise Tier 2 Syllabus 2020
To start with, SSC CGL Tier 2 Syllabus involves the following 4 subjects:
- Quantitative Aptitude
- English Language
- General Awareness
The following table tells the topics involving in each section of SSC CGL Tier 2 Syllabus. Go through the detailed SSC CGL Tier 2 syllabus and enhance your preparation levels. Solve SSC CGL Previous Year Papers regularly to know the difficulty level of the exam and number of questions asked.
|Subject||SSC CGL Tier 2 Syllabus|
|Quantitative Aptitude||Simplification, Interest, Averages, Percentage, Ratio and Proportion, Speed, Distance and Time, Number System, Mensuration, Data Interpretation, Time and Work, Algebra, Trigonometry, Geometry, Data Sufficiency, Square Roots, Profit & Loss, Histogram, Graphs|
|English Language||Reading Comprehension, Spelling, Fill in the Blanks, Phrases and Idioms, One Word Substitution, Sentence Correction, Error Spotting, Cloze Test Para Jumbles, Synonyms-Antonyms, Active-Passive Voice, Spot the Error, Synonyms/Antonyms, Indirect/Direct Speech|
|Statistics important topics||Collection and Representation of Data, Measure of Dispersion, Measure of Central Tendency, Moments, Skewness and Kurtosis, Correlation and Regression, Random Variables, Random Variables, Sampling Theory, Analysis of Variance, Time Series Analysis, Index Number, Statistical Inference,|
|General Awareness||Finance and Accounting, Fundamental Principles, Financial Accounting, Basic Concepts of Accounting, Self-Balancing Ledger, Error Spotting and Correction, Economics and Governance, Comptroller and Auditor General of India, Finance Commission, Theory of Demand and Supply, Basic concepts of Economics and Introduction to Microeconomics, Theory of Production and Cost, Forms of market and price determination, Indian economy, economic reforms, money and banking, role of IT in governance|
SSC CGL Tier 2 Important Topics & Weightage of Questions 2020
Go through the SSC CGL Important Topics for all each subject in Tier 2 and its weightage of questions. Make sure to study these topics with more concentration and practice.
SSC CGL Quant Important Topics
Check the below important topics for quantitative aptitude along with the weightage. Solve SSC CGL Important Questions from each topic to know the most expected questions and difficulty level of questions.
|ratio & proportion||2||Geometry (Circles, Triangle, Quadrilateral etc)||7-8|
|LCM & HCF||2||Mensuration (cube, cylinder, sphere, pyramid, etc)||7-8|
|Boat & Stream||1||Trigonometry||7-8|
|Speed, Time, & Distance||6-7||Heights & Distance||1-2|
|CI & SI||4-5||Coordinate Geometry||2|
|Piper & Cistern||2||Miscellaneous||3-4|
|Problems on Ages||2||–||–|
|Time & Work||5-6||–||–|
|Mixture & Allegation||4-5||–||–|
|Profit, Loss & Discount||7-8||–||–|
SSC CGL Important Topics for English Language & Comprehension
The below table explains the important topics for SSC CGL tier 2 English subject. Go through these topics of English as per the latest SSC CGL Tier 2 Syllabus.
|Idioms & Phrases||4-5|
|One Word Substitution||8-10|
|Fill in the Blanks||5-6|
SSC CGL Important Topics for Statistics
Here is the tabulation for important topics in SSC CGL Statistics. Go through the topics and prepare accordingly.
|Paper III Statistics Topics||SSC CGL Tier 2 Syllabus for Statistics|
|Collection Classification and Presentation of Statistical Data||Primary and Secondary data, Methods of data collection; Tabulation of data; Graphs and charts; Frequency distributions; Diagrammatic presentation of frequency distributions|
|Measures of Central Tendency||Common measures of central tendency – mean median and mode; Partition values- quartiles, deciles, percentiles|
|Measures of Dispersion||Common measures dispersion – range, quartile deviations, mean deviation and standard deviation; Measures of relative dispersion|
|Moments, Skewness and Kurtosis||Different types of moments and their relationship; the meaning of skewness and kurtosis; different measures of skewness and kurtosis|
|Correlation and Regression||Scatter diagram; simple correlation coefficient; simple regression lines; Spearman‘s rank correlation; Measures of association of attributes; Multiple regression; Multiple and partial correlations (For three variables only)|
|Probability Theory||Meaning of probability; Different definitions of probability; Conditional probability; Compound probability; Independent events; Bayes‘ theorem|
|Random Variable and Probability Distributions||Random variable; Probability functions; Expectation and Variance of a random variable; Higher moments of a random variable; Binomial, Poisson, Normal and Exponential distributions; Joint distribution of two random variables (discrete)|
|Sampling Theory||Concept of population and sample; Parameter and statistic, Sampling and non-sampling errors; Probability and non-probability sampling techniques (simple random sampling, stratified sampling, multistage sampling, multiphase sampling, cluster sampling, systematic sampling, purposive sampling, convenience sampling and quota sampling); Sampling distribution (statement only); and Sample size decisions|
|Statistical Inference||Point estimation and interval estimation, Properties of a good estimator, Methods of estimation (Moments method, Maximum likelihood method, Least squares method), Testing of hypothesis, Basic concept of testing, Small sample and large sample tests, Tests based on Z, t, Chi-square and F statistic, Confidence intervals|
|Analysis of Variance||Analysis of one-way classified data and two-way classified data|
|Time Series Analysis||Components of time series, Determinations of trend component by different methods, Measurement of seasonal variation by different methods|
|Index Numbers||Meaning of Index Numbers, Problems in the construction of index numbers, Types of index number, Different formulae, Base shifting and splicing of index numbers, Cost of living Index Numbers, Uses of Index Numbers|
SSC CGL Important Topics for General Studies
Check out the list of General Studies important topics for preparation.
|Financial & Accounting|
|Fundamental Principles||Financial Accounting||Basic Concepts of Accounting||Self-Balancing Ledger|
|Economic and Governance|
|Comptroller and Auditor General of India||Finance Commission||Theory of Demand and Supply||–|
SSC CGL Exam Analysis for Tier 2
To understand the difficulty level and type of questions asked, here is the brief analysis for SSC CGL Tier 2 Exam. Check the important topics and difficulty level of each subject below.
- Most of the questions come from the sections of Mensuration, Algebra and Profit, Loss and Discount
- The difficulty level of Algebra and Mensuration is high, Profit, loss & and discount is Moderate
- The least number of questions appear from Mixture & Alligation and Height and Distance
- The overall Quantitative Aptitude Tier 2 is Moderate to Difficult
- Most questions appear from the section of Sentence Rearrangement (23-25) apart from Comprehension Passage
- The difficulty level of Sentence Rearrangement is Moderate
- The least questions come from the section of Synonyms, Antonyms and Fill in the blanks. The difficulty level is Moderate
- The overall difficulty level of all the English section is Easy to Moderate
- Most of the questions come from the section of Measure of Central Tendency & Dispersion. The difficulty level is average
- Time-series Analysis covers the least questions and difficulty level is moderate
- Difficult questions are mostly found in the papers of Probability Theory, Random Variable, Statistical Interference and Analysis of Variance
- The least questions come from the section of Geography and Economics and the difficulty level is easy to moderate
- Most of the questions come from the Science section and the level of difficulty is easy to moderate
- Polity section covers the average number of questions but the difficulty level is high
SSC CGL Tier 2 Books 2020
Here is the list of recommended books for cracking Tier 2 exam as per the latest SSC CGL Tier 2 Syllabus. Ensure to study all topics from these Best Books for SSC CGL Tier 2 without fail.
|Subject||Name of the book||Author|
|English||English For Competitions Vol-I 2019||Neetu Singh|
|Black Book of English Vocabulary||Nikhil Gupta|
|Kiran’s SSC English Language Chapterwise Solved Papers||Kiran Prakashan|
|Maths||Rakesh Yadav Sir’s ARITHMETIC for SSC||Rakesh Yadav|
|How to Prepare for Quantitative Aptitude for CAT||Arun Sharma|
|Statistics||SSC Combined Graduate Level Guide||R. Gupta|
|SSC Combined Graduate Level Examination||Sanjeev Joon|
|SSC Combined Graduate Level Mains Exam with Solved & Practice Sets||Arihant Experts|
Preparation of SSC CGL Tier 2 Syllabus 2020
The following is the subject-wise preparation tips for SSC CGL Tier 2 2020 Quantitative Aptitude:
- Practice more and more Mock Tests and keep a check on all the wrong answers
- The wrong answers, later on, have to be rectified. Candidate should see why it was not correct earlier
- The difficulty level of Algebra and Mensuration is high. Therefore, students should focus more on these sections. The practice ratio should be high in these two areas.
- Candidates should manage their time effectively and for that, they should attempt more and more Mock Tests and SSC Quant Quiz.
- The overall Quantitative Aptitude Tier 2 is very important to be clear. This is the only way to reach the next phase of the SSC CGL Exam
- Candidates can also try to learn to get along with shortcuts. The shortcuts can help more to simplify the concepts. But, candidates must not rely on them. The broader concepts should be more than clear enough to crack the SSC CGL exam
- First of all, to clear this section with the highest marks, candidates should start with correcting their flaws in Grammar
- Grammar rectification will make half of the work easier. The understanding of most of the exam will be cleared
- Secondly, the constant vocabulary revision must be there. Therefore, aspirants should learn 3 new vocabulary words every single day. Also, attempt SSC English Quiz regularly to know which type of questions can be asked in the exam.
- The newly learned vocabulary words would be difficult to remember. So, to keep them in the mind, candidates should make 3-4 sentences of each word and try to use them in those sentences
- Revising synonyms and antonyms would help the candidate to learn more and more vocab words. So, revision of synonyms and antonyms every day for half an hour should be persistent
- The part Phrases & Idioms are fun to learn if one knows how to. So, Idioms & Phrases can be learned by using in daily language
- Statistics is the section where most students panic. Moreover, they sometimes lose marks too. But, a simple solution to get a high score in the Statistics section of SSC CGL, is that do not forget to practice the concepts any day!
- Candidates can start preparing for this section by simply starting to cover the 10th +2 level because it will make the understanding of statistics easier.
- All aspirants, always, study in terms of understanding the subjects (any) and not cramming it. Understanding will make it more comfortable to remember the concepts from the SSC CGL Tier 2 Syllabus.
- Give more and more SSC CGL Mock Tests. It will improve the speed because there is a limited time to attempt the exam
- There is a simple trick to attempt the most correct answers in the General Awareness section. Candidates must keep the basic knowledge of Science, History, Economics, Geography, and Politics
- Candidates should be updated with the current affairs and current change in positions in the government area
- Practice Mock Tests and attempt SSC General Awareness Quiz to know the difficulty level of the questions. Also, manage time effectively because one has to finish the exam in a limited period of time
Share your thoughts/queries here!