SSC CGL Preparation Tips 2021: Check Stage-wise Preparation Strategy
The Staff Selection Commission will soon release the official notification for the SSC CGL 2021 on the official website. Hence, candidates must make a proper study plan to better succeed in the exam. To ease out your preparation, we have provided SSC CGL Preparation Tips provided by experts in this post.
SSC CGL Preparation Tips (Tier 1, Tier 2, & Tier 3)
SSC CGL is one of the prestigious exams that is conducted every year to fill in numerous vacancies across various departments. Candidates must be aware of the syllabus and exam pattern as this will help enhance their preparation levels.
- Following the preparation tips will help candidates know how to plan their preparation in a better way.
- Candidates appearing for the exam must make a proper SSC CGL Study Plan in order to score good marks in the upcoming exam.
- In this post, we have provided stage-wise SSC CGL 2021 Preparation Tips for candidates that help candidates to clear the exam in one go.
How to Prepare for SSC CGL 2021?
To help the candidates get scores good and attain qualifying marks in the SSC CGL Tier1, Tier 2 & Tier 3 exam, we are here with some directions and essential Preparation Tips to know how to prepare for SSC CGL, which one needs to keep in mind while making study plans.
Knowledge of Syllabus and Pattern
The candidates must go through the following tips regarding the syllabus and exam pattern of SSC CGL:
- Before making a study plan, candidates must go through the SSC CGL Syllabus and plan their preparation accordingly.
- This will provide you with an insight into the examination and making a further strategy will be easier.
- Knowing the syllabus is always beneficial as one can focus on other important topics and prepare accordingly.
Analyze and Make Study Plan
After the syllabus, here comes another important task to analyze your weak and strong topics and make a perfect SSC CGL preparation plan according to that.
- Give more time to the weak topics.
- The preparation plan will give an edge over your preparation.
- The candidate can prepare the timetable according to your comfort.
Manage Your Time
The candidates should prepare according to the time constraint in the practice tests.
- One should consider the following points.
- Secondly, analyze the time one is taking to solve the questions and the average time one dedicates to each question.
- Also, be aware of the concept of negative marking and practice according to it.
- In case the candidates minimize your negative marking, it will be beneficial only
Making a Plan for the exam
Given below is the strategy in order to plan the CGL exam:
- Since sectional timing is allocated, one cannot assign more time and energy to one section.
- So, give an equal amount of importance to all the subjects – Reasoning Ability, Numerical Ability, and English Language.
- Also, a negative marking scheme is applicable. So, attempt only those questions which you are sure of.
Collect study materials
Candidates must follow the guidelines given below regarding study material:
- Collect quality study material as recommended by experts in the field.
- Besides that, make sure you reference the right books for a particular subject.
- Clear the basic concepts of all the important topics.
Follow a strict routine
Candidates must go through the following tips in regard to study routine for the SSC CGL exam:
- Study according to the plan and do not wander away from your goals.
- Stay motivated to study and follow a strict routine to study.
- Discipline is an important factor for success.
- So, do not give up on dreams of cracking the SSC CGL Exam
Solve Previous Year Papers
As per the experts, solving SSC CGL Previous Year Question Papers is one of the best preparation methods to crack the exam.
- Previous year papers will help candidates to improve their time management skills and problem-solving skills.
- Also, candidates can better understand the difficulty level of the paper and the type of questions asked in the exam.
- Questions papers will let candidates test their preparation levels and improve speed and accuracy.
Take Mock Tests
The candidates must read the following reasons on why to take more and more Mock Tests:
- Firstly, candidates should definitely perform at least 2 SSC CGL Mock Tests every day as these tests help candidates to evaluate their performance on their own
- The Mock Tests act as one’s own personal teacher or coach
- Besides that, the Mock Tests give a fair and unbiased result to the student
- Moreover, candidates can understand their mistakes very easily
- The more mock tests one performs, the better the candidate gets on the subject
SSC CGL Subject Wise Preparation Tips for Tier I
Now let’s have a look at subject wise SSC CGL Preparation Tips for Tier I examination
General Intelligence & Reasoning Preparation Tips for Tier I
It would include questions of both verbal and non-verbal type. The level of difficulty will be at the graduation level. SSC CGL Reasoning Preparation Tips The level of difficulty for Reasoning will be of graduation level. We have given a list of topics in the order of difficulty that is important from the exam point of view
- Coding-Decoding: Coding-Decoding has very tricky questions and needs time to solve.
- Non-Verbal Reasoning: Pictorial Analogies, Symbol series, symbolic operations, numeric patterns, spatial relations, space visualizations, Spatial Reasoning, mirror image, and space image are examples of questions.
- Matrix and puzzles: This section tests your unusual and creative ways of solving problems. It is difficult and time-consuming. Candidates can go through How To Get 40+ in SSC CGL Reasoning
- Analysis Judgment: It requires critical thinking and needs a lot of time to solve. Questions include blood relation, Direction, Height, and Sequence.
- Numerical Operations: Numerical Operations are easy if you are well versed with the formula.
- Classification: Easiest to solve
- Arrange words in Logical Order
- Syllogism: Draw Venn Diagrams to avoid confusion. Read questions well to avoid mistakes as sometimes questions are tricky
- Verbal Analogies: A good Vocabulary will help you solve this section. Try to find the relationship between the two words in the right context
SSC CGL General Awareness Preparation Tips for Tier 1
Questions in this component will be aimed at testing the candidates’ general awareness of the environment around them and its application to society. Questions will also be designed to test knowledge of current events and of such matters of everyday observations and experience in their scientific aspect as may be expected of any educated person.
- Read newspapers regularly. The candidate can use any of the dozens of news apps and install them on the smartphone to subscribe to the notifications to make the most of them
- Go through all the current affairs events that have happened in the last 6 months.
- Refer to books like Manorama Yearbook 2018, competition success review.
- Make note of all the national and international events.
- Give special focus to Static GK as this will help in the exams.
- General Awareness can be a scoring section, but it comes only with reading.
SSC CGL Quantitative Aptitude Preparation Tips for Tier I
- Prepare strategies for the examination according to one’s abilities.
- Create a time frame for solving problems that you have in Quantitative Aptitude.
- Learn all the concepts well because you cannot solve difficult questions without the ability to solve easy questions
- Solve Mock tests for each section of the exam.
- Use a StopWatch on your mobile while solving problems.
- Master Quantitative Aptitude section, as one cannot crack SSC CGL without paying attention to this section.
- You can refer to Class 9, 10, 11, 12 NCERT Mathematics books.
|Topic-Wise Distribution of Quant Section|
|Geometry & Mensuration||16%|
SSC CGL English Comprehension Preparation Tips for Tier I
You will be tested for your ability to understand correct English, basic comprehension, and writing ability. The level of difficulty will be at the graduation level.
- For clearing the English language with a high score, one must practice regularly.
- Solving previous year papers is one of the best solutions to know which type of questions can be asked and the difficulty level of the exam.
- List out the important topics and practice the questions asked in those topics regularly. Follow expert SSC CGL English Preparation Tips to know the topic-wise preparation strategy.
|Topic-Wise Distribution of English|
SSC CGL Tier 2 Preparation Strategy 2021
Candidates who clear the Tier I examination of SSC CGL can have queries about the SSC CGL Tier 2 Preparation and questions regarding the preparation strategy. One should know certain guidelines to clear the Tier-II examination with flying colours.
- Paper 1 & 2 are compulsory for all the candidates.
- Paper 3 is specifically scheduled for candidates who have applied for the post of Statistical Investigator.
- Paper 4 is conducted only for those candidates who are interested in the post of Assistant Audit Officer (AAO).
- The SSC CGL Tier 2 Exam will be conducted online.
SSC CGL Subject-wise Preparation Tips for Tier II
Before starting the preparation, candidates must go through the complete SSC CGL Tier 2 Syllabus 2020 to know the subject-wise important topics.
In Tier 2, the negative marking for Paper 1, 3 & 4 is 0.50 marks and for Paper 2, it is 0.25 marks. Before we move further, let us have a look at the Tier II Exam Scheme:
|Subjects||Total Marks||Time Duration|
|Paper 1 – Quantitative Ability||200||2 Hour|
|Paper 2 – English Language & Comprehension||200||2 Hour|
|Paper 3 – Statistics||200||2 Hour|
|Paper 4 – General Studies||200||2 Hour|
SSC CGL Quantitative Aptitude Preparation Tips for Tier 2
This section’s difficulty level is of 10th Standard or SSLC. Candidates must follow certain SSC CGL Tier 2 Quant Preparation Tips to crack the exam in one attempt.
- Learn tables up to 25 to increase your calculation speed, it will help you be more efficient.
- Practice questions from different types and Topics.
- Use Shortcut or Short tricks to solve the questions.
Most Important Topics from the Quantitative Aptitude in SSC CGL Tier 2 Exam: –
- Geometry & Mensuration
|Topic-Wise Distribution of Quant Section|
|Geometry & Mensuration||16%|
SSC CGL English Preparation Tips for Tier 2
Here is a few important SSC CGL Tier 2 English Preparation Tips and topics to be studied. Try to concentrate more on these topics.
- Make a daily routine of reading as 40-50 marks will depend on your reading skills.
- Read English newspapers and magazines on a daily basis for about 2-3 hours.
- Take regular mock tests to help you prepare well
Most Important Topics from the English Language in SSC CGL Tier 2 Exam: –
- Reading Comprehension
- Cloze Text
- Sentence Correction
- Idioms & Phrases
|Topic-Wise Distribution of English|
SSC CGL Statistics Preparation Tips for Tier 2
- This subject is only for candidates who applied for the post of Statistical Investigator.
- Start preparing with books of 10th,11th, and 12th to retain the basics.
- Previous years’ papers and test series will help you in scoring good marks in this part.
- Learn and prepare notes of important formulas.
Most Important Topics from the Statistics in SSC CGL Tier 2 Exam: –
- Probability theory
- Variance analysis
- The measure of central tendency
- Sampling theory
SSC CGL General Studies Preparation Tips for Tier 2 (Finance and Economics)
This part is only for the applicants for the Assistant Audit Officer (AAO) post. It will test your knowledge of Finance and Economics. This paper is divided into two parts:
- Finance and accounts
- Economics and governance.
Below are the important SSC CGL Tier 2 preparation tips to help you with this part of the SSC CGL Tier 2 Exam:
- Take help from the 10th,11th, and 12th class books to prepare the basics for these subjects.
- Read newspapers related to economics and business such as The Economist, The Economic Times, Business Standard.
- Practice previous year papers and mocks regularly.
- Read facts from the government gazettes on economics.
SSC CGL Study Notes for Tier 2
For a successful preparation, referring to expert prepared study notes will be of great help. Download the Free SSC CGL Study Notes for Tier 2 to enhance preparations for the exam and score more marks. There are many advantages of study notes as explained below:
- The study notes are prepared by experts in the respective subjects.
- Candidates can find a detailed explanation of each topic as per the latest syllabus and exam pattern.
- Get many previous year questions on each topic.
- Also, download the Free PDF question papers along with the solutions.
SSC CGL Tier 2 Last Minute Preparation Tips 2021
Here are a few SSC CGL Last Minute preparation Tips to crack the Tier 2 Exam.
- Begin your revision and ensure to give a quick glance to each topic
- Take up CGL mock tests regularly and be exam ready
- Solve Previous Year Question Papers to know the difficulty level of the paper.
- Do not read any new topic in the last few days left for the exam.
- Read daily current affairs to be well versed with all the latest issues happening across the globe.
- Go through the SSC CGL Exam Day Instructions for being thorough with all rules and regulations to be followed on the day of the exam.
General SSC CGL Tier 2 Preparation Tips 2021
Last year, SSC had given some relief to the students by introducing the normalization of marks. The marks obtained by the students in Tier I & Tier II will be normalized based on the difficulty level of the paper. Normalization will be used to select students for the next round.
- Normalization will be used to select students for the next round of the selection process.
- SSC CGL Tier I exam will consist of Reasoning Ability, General Awareness, Quantitative Aptitude, and English Comprehension.
- Students can easily Crack SSC CGL in one attempt
- 25 questions will be asked from each subject with each subject valued 50 marks.
- 200 marks exam is conducted over a span of 60 Minutes.
- The level of difficulty for Reasoning will be of graduation level
- Questions from General Awareness is aimed at testing the candidates’ general awareness of the environment around them.
- Candidates can also follow a well-organized SSC CGL 10 Day Study Plan
- Quantitative Aptitude’s difficulty level is of 10th Standard or SSLC.
- In English, the ability to understand correct English, basic comprehension, and writing ability will be tested.
SSC CGL Preparation Tips 2021
The students who are planning to write the SSC CGL Exam this year must take care of some important details. The following mentioned is the necessary information:
- Firstly make a proper preparation plan and study all topics accordingly.
- Secondly, do not leave any topic unattended. Even if they have less time, they should at least go through those topics once roughly.
- If any candidate follows the SSC CGL preparation tips given in the article below, they can easily understand the strategy of how to prepare for the SSC exam at home.
- All candidates must make a proper time table for SSC CGL Preparation.
- Also, candidates should reduce the usage of cell phones. This can really enhance productivity and concentration levels.
SSC CGL Recommended Books 2021
Here are a few most recommended SSC CGL Books by experts and toppers for exam preparation. Ensure to choose the book in such a way that it covers all the important topics as per the latest exam syllabus.
|Subject||Best Books for SSC CGL 2021||Author|
|General Intelligence and Reasoning||A Modern Approach to Verbal & Non-Verbal Reasoning Revised Edition||R.S. Aggarwal|
|Analytical Reasoning||M.K. Pandey|
|General Awareness||Manorama yearbook||–|
|Lucent’s General Knowledge||–|
|Quantitative||Quantitative Aptitude For Competitive Examinations||R.S Aggarwal|
|Advanced maths for SSC||Rakesh Yadav|
|English Language||Objective General English||RS Aggarwal|
|Objective General English by S P Bakshi||Arihant|
Quick and Handy Tips for SSC CGL Exam 2021
Students can easily Prepare SSC CGL Without Coaching by following the simple tips provided below.
- Solve numerical and word problems
- Stay updated with current affairs and Static GK
- Evaluate your performance regularly with the help of mock tests
- Accuracy is essential in solving a mathematical problem
- Solve mock Tests as this is the only way you are going to improve your scores
- Candidates must understand how to manage time in the SSC CGL exam
- Give importance to Quality as accuracy and correct understanding of questions will give you the edge over your peers
- Merely attempting more questions will not help you
- There is not much time to solve the paper. There are a lot of questions and little time to solve each one of them
SSC CGL Tier 3 Preparation Tips 2021
Candidates who clear the Tier-II examination of SSC CGL can have queries about the Preparation Plan for SSC CGL Tier 3 and questions regarding the Preparation strategy for SSC CGL Tier 3. One should know certain guidelines in order to clear the Tier-III/ Descriptive examination. Now, How to prepare for SSC CGL Tier III Exam?
- The most important aspect of preparation for SSC CGL Tier III will be writing practice. Every candidate must write a few pages a day in order to remain in the loop. Be thorough with the SSC CGL Tier 3 Syllabus to know the important topics and questions asked in the exam.
- Try to understand their structure and style of Editorials from Newspaper. This will help in the preparation of the structure of your essay.
- Structure of Letter writing is a very important part of your writing. Try to understand the structure of various writings. If a letter’s structure is not correct, then the candidate may lose marks for that
- For essay preparation, prepare mind maps of important topics in news recently – like Rural electrification, India’s performance at CWG 2018, etc.
- Read blogs, newspapers, books and refer the dictionary regularly, It will help in precise
- Avoid Grammatical errors while writing an Essay, Precis, or Letter. It may cost marks.
What to Read for SSC CGL Tier III?
The applicants who are good at reading will have an upper hand in the examination. The habit of reading is a constant method. One must read from the below-mentioned resources to prepare well for SSC CGL Descriptive/ Tier 3 examination.
- The Hindu, Indian Express, The Mint, etc – reading of these newspapers will be very beneficial for the preparation of the content for Essay Topics. Make notes on the important editorials and the facts in these newspapers which can be directly used in the essay.
Descriptive English by S.P. BAKSHI
- It will help you understand the basic writing skills for the essay, letter, and precis writing
151 Essays by S.C Gupta
- A book with a broad range of essay topics will give you a basic idea about essay writing, content and essay structure.
Handbook for letter writing by S.C. Gupta
- It will help you enhance the basics of Letter writing.
SSC CGL Essay Writing Preparation Tips for Tier III
- An essay should always be quality laded instead of Quantity. The prime focus should always remain on building quality for the readers.
- Choose topics that you are comfortable about and start writing instantly to avoid wasting time in thinking about the content of the essay.
- The Essay should cover all the subtopics and important highlights of the topic.
- Use subheadings to highlight subtopics.
- Avoid writing long paragraphs.
- Support your opinion with facts.
- Try to write a simple and crisp essay that can be understood easily.
- Give precise Introduction and Conclusion.
Most Important Essay Topics for SSC CGL Tier III
- Rural electrification
- India’s performance at CWG 2018
- Bullet Trains – Boon or Bane
- Religious Tolerance -Is it under threat?
- Women Empowerment – Actions by Government
- Rural Banking – Government schemes
SSC CGL Letter Writing Tips for Tier III
- A letter must be written in the correct format.
- Active & Passive voice should be used appropriately.
- Use concise points about issues and Topics.
- Avoid Grammatical Errors
- Maintain Good Handwriting throughout the writing
Most Important Letter Writing Topics for SSC CGL Tier III
- Complain letter regarding trouble common people faced due to the Shortage of Cash in ATMs.
- Letter about benefits and drawbacks of Demonetization
- Complain letter about Traffic problem near your locality and suggestions to improve it.
- Letter to present views on Reducing Corruption in Government offices.
- Letter to present views on the Impact of Global warming.
SSC CGL Precis Writing Tips for Tier III
- Read the passage very carefully and get an idea about the underlying message being conveyed through the passage
- Do not repeat sentences from the Passage.
- Try to summarize and write in your own words.
- Do not exceed the word limit. Exceeding it slightly (2 or 3 words) should be fine.
SSC CGL Preparation Tips FAQs
Q. What are the important books to be referred to during SSC CGL Exam Preparation?
Ans: There are different books that candidates must refer to each subject preparation. Some of the most recommended books for the SSC CGL Exam are as below:
- English – Objective General English by S.P.Bakshi
- GK – Lucent’s General Knowledge by Binary Karn
- Maths – SSC Elementary and Advanced Mathematics by Kiran Prakashan
- Reasoning – Modern Approach to Verbal & Non-Verbal Reasoning by R.S.Aggarwal
Q. Can I clear SSC CGL Exam in one month’s preparation?
Ans: Yes, if prepared with complete dedication and concentration, it is possible to clear the exam in one attempt. Try to refer to the best books and study notes to understand each topic in depth.
Q. What is the best way to prepare for SSC CGL?
Ans: By following a proper study plan and solving mock test series can help in the best preparation for SSC CGL. Also, practicing previous year question papers can also help in preparation.
Q. Can I prepare for SSC CGL at home?
Ans: Most of the students do prepare at home but experts suggest that with proper guidance, it is easier to crack the exam in one attempt. If you are unable to go for an offline tutorial, try to take up at least SSC CGL Online Coaching which can help in learning concepts at your home.
Q. How long does it take to prepare for SSC CGL?
Ans: On average, at least 7-8 hours daily is required to prepare for SSC CGL. Each day you can split between subjects and plan accordingly to complete studying.
Share your thoughts/queries here!