SSC CGL Preparation Tips
SSC CGL Preparation Tips | The candidates preparing for SSC CGL must be interested in knowing some really helpful preparation tips. The students should go through the article below to know the best tips on how to prepare for the SSC CGL exam
SSC CGL Preparation Tips
The students who are planning to write the SSC CGL Exam this year must take care of some important details. The following mentioned is the necessary information:
- Candidates must make a proper SSC CGL Study Plan in order to be regular and disciplines while preparing for the exam
- Secondly, they should not leave any topic unattended. Even if they have less time, they should at least go through those topics once roughly
- If any candidate follows the preparation tips given in the article below, they can easily understand the strategy of how to prepare for SSC exam at home
- Candidates must go through some powerful and the best SSC CGL English Preparation Tips
- All candidates must make a proper time table for SSC CGL Preparation
- Also, candidates should reduce the usage of cell phones. This can really enhance productivity and concentration level
- The SSC CGL Syllabus has a total of 4 tiers that students have to cover for the exam
- All the tiers have different subjects and topics
SSC CGL Preparation: Highlights
The following table has some main highlights of SSC CGL Exam Preparation:
|Organization||Staff Selection Commission|
|Examination Name||Combined Graduate Level Examination|
|Job Location||Pan India|
|Category||SSC CGL Preparation|
SSC CGL Preparation Tips for Tier I
The SSC CGL Tier 1 exam is scheduled to take place from June 4th to June 19th, 2019. From last year, SSC had given some relief to the students introducing normalization of marks. The marks obtained by the students in Tier I & Tier II will be normalized based on the difficulty level of the paper. Normalization will be used to select students to the next round. The preparation tips for SSC CGL will guide you to clear SSC CGL Tier I examination.
- Normalization will be used to select students to the next round of the selection process.
- SSC CGL Tier I exam will consist of Reasoning Ability, General Awareness, Quantitative Aptitude, and English Comprehension.
- Students can easily Crack SSC CGL in one attempt
- 25 questions will be asked from each subject with each subject valued 50 marks.
- 200 marks exam is conducted over a span of 60 Minutes.
- The level of difficulty for Reasoning will be of graduation level
- Candidates can also follow a well-organized SSC CGL 10 Day Study Plan
- Questions from General Awareness is aimed at testing the candidates’ general awareness of the environment around him.
- Quantitative Aptitude‘s difficulty level is of 10th Standard or SSLC.
- In English, the ability to understand correct English, basic comprehension, and writing ability will be tested.
Before starting your exam preparation, let’s have a look at the Scheme of Tier I Exam
Tier I Exam
|Subject||No. of Qs||Marks||Time|
|Reasoning Ability||25||50||60 min|
- Negative marking of 0.50 marks for every wrong answer.
Quick and Handy Tips for Tier I – SSC CGL Preparation Tips
- Solve numerical and word problems
- Stay updated with current affairs and Static GK
- Evaluate your performance regularly with the help of mock tests
- Candidates must understand how to manage time in SSC CGL exam
- Accuracy is essential in solving a mathematical problem
- Students can easily Prepare SSC CGL Without Coaching
- Solve mock Tests as this is the only way you are going to improve your scores.
- Give importance to Quality as accuracy and correct understanding of questions will give you the edge over your peers. Merely attempting more questions will not help you.
- There is not much time to solve the paper. There are a lot of questions and little time to solve each one of them.
SSC CGL Subject Wise Preparation Tips for Tier I
Now let’s have a look at subject wise SSC CGL Preparation Tips for Tier I examination
General Intelligence & Reasoning – SSC CGL Preparation Tips for Tier I
It would include questions of both verbal and non-verbal type. Level of difficulty will be of graduation level.
Reasoning Preparation Tips
Watch this video to know the SSC CGL Tier I Reasoning Preparation Tips 2018
The level of difficulty for Reasoning will be of graduation level. We have given a list of topics in the order of difficulty that is important from exam point of view
1. Coding-Decoding: Coding-Decoding has very tricky questions and needs time to solve.
2. Non-Verbal Reasoning: Pictorial Analogies, Symbol series, symbolic operations, numeric patterns, spatial relations, space visualizations, Spatial Reasoning, mirror image, and space image are examples of questions.
3. Matrix and puzzles: This section tests your unusual and creative ways of solving problems. It is difficult and time-consuming. Candidates can go through How To Get 40+ in SSC CGL Reasoning
4. Analysis Judgment: It requires critical thinking and needs a lot of time to solve. Questions include blood relation, Direction, Height, and Sequence.
5. Numerical Operations: Numerical Operations are easy if you are well versed with the formula.
6. Classification: Easiest to solve
7. Arrange words in Logical Order
8. Syllogism: Draw Venn Diagrams to avoid confusion. Read questions well to avoid mistakes as sometimes questions are tricky
9. Verbal Analogies: A good Vocabulary will help you solve this section. Try to find the relationship between the two words in the right context
General Awareness – SSC CGL Preparation Tips for Tier 1
Questions in this component will be aimed at testing the candidates’ general awareness of the environment around him and its application to society. Questions will also be designed to test knowledge of current events and of such matters of everyday observations and experience in their scientific aspect as may be expected of any educated person.
- Read newspapers regularly. The candidate can use any of the dozens of news apps and install them on the smartphone to subscribe to the notifications to make the most of them
- Go through all the current affairs events that have happened in the last 6 months.
- Refer to books like Manorama Yearbook 2018, competition success review.
- Make note of all the national and international events.
- Give special focus to Static GK as this will help in the exams.
- General Awareness can be a scoring section, but it comes only with reading.
Join online Coaching for SSC exam & get mentored by Paramount best faculty.
Quantitative Aptitude – SSC CGL Preparation Tips for Tier I
This section’s difficulty level is of 10th Standard or SSLC. Candidates must understand some amazing Tips and Tricks to Crack SSC CGL Maths with 40+
Watch this video to know the SSC CGL Tier I Quantitative Aptitude Preparation Tips 2018
- Prepare strategies for the examination according to one’s abilities.
- Create a time frame for solving problems that you have in Quantitative Aptitude.
- Learn all the concepts well because you cannot solve difficult questions without the ability to solve easy questions
- Solve Mock tests for each section of the exam.
- Use a Stop Watch on your mobile while solving problems.
- Master Quantitative Aptitude section, as one cannot crack SSC CGL without paying attention to this section.
- You can refer to Class 9, 10, 11, 12 NCERT Mathematics books.
English Comprehension – SSC CGL Preparation Tips for Tier I
You will be tested for your ability to understand correct English, basic comprehension, and writing ability. The level of difficulty will be of graduation level. It is not difficult to Crack SSC CGL English in one attempt
Watch this video to know the SSC CGL Tier I English Preparation Tips 2018
SSC CGL Preparation Tips for Tier II
Candidates who clear the Tier I examination of SSC CGL can have queries about the Preparation Plan for SSC CGL Tier 2 and questions regarding the Preparation strategy for SSC CGL Tier 2. One should know certain guidelines in order to clear the Tier II examination with flying colors.
- Paper 1 & 2 are compulsory for all the candidates.
- Paper 3 is specifically scheduled for candidates who have applied for the post of Statistical Investigator.
- Paper 4 is conducted only for those candidates who are interested in the post of Assistant Audit Officer (AAO).
- The SSC CGL Tier 2 Exam will be conducted online.
The negative marking for Paper 1, 3 & 4 is 0.50 marks and for Paper 2, it is 0.25 marks.
SSC CGL Subject-wise Preparation Tips for Tier II
Before we move further, let us have a look at the Tier II Exam Scheme:
|Subjects||Total Marks||Time Duration|
|Paper 1 – Quantitative Ability||200||2 Hour|
|Paper 2 – English Language & Comprehension||200||2 Hour|
|Paper 3 – Statistics||200||2 Hour|
|Paper 4 – General Studies||200||2 Hour|
Learn tables up to 25 to increase your calculation speed, It will help you be more efficient. Quantitative Aptitude Preparation Tips for SSC CGL Tier 2
- Practice questions from different types and Topics.
- Use Shortcut or Short tricks to solve the questions.
Most Important Topics from the English Language in SSC CGL Tier 2 Exam: –
- Geometry & Mensuration
English Preparation Tips for SSC CGL Tier 2
- Make a daily routine of reading as 40-50 marks will depend on your reading skills.
- Read English newspapers and magazines on a daily basis for about 2-3 hours.
- Take regular mock tests to help you prepare well
Most Important Topics from the English Language in SSC CGL Tier 2 Exam: –
- Reading Comprehension
- Cloze Text
- Sentence Correction
- Idioms & Phrases
Statistics Preparation Tips for SSC CGL Tier 2
- This subject is only for candidates applied for the post of Statistical Investigator.
- Start preparing with books of 10th,11th and 12th retain the basics.
- Previous years papers and test series will help you in scoring good marks in this part.
- Learn and prepare notes of important formulas.
Most Important Topics from the English Language in SSC CGL Tier 2 Exam: –
- Probability theory
- Variance analysis
- The measure of central tendency
- Sampling theory
General Studies Preparation Tips for SSC CGL Tier 2 (Finance and Economics)
This part is only for the applicants of Assistant Audit Officer (AAO) post. It will test your knowledge of Finance and Economics. This paper is divided into two parts:
- Finance and accounts
- Economics and governance.
Below are the important SSC CGL Tier 2 preparation tips to help you with this part of the SSC CGL Tier 2 Exam:
- Take help from the 10th,11th, and 12th class books to prepare the basics for these subjects.
- Read newspaper related to economics and business such as The Economist, The Economic Times, Business Standard.
- Practice previous year papers and mocks on a regular basis.
- Read facts from the government gazettes on economics.
SSC CGL Preparation Tips for Tier III
Candidates who clear the Tier II examination of SSC CGL can have queries about the Preparation Plan for SSC CGL Tier 3 and questions regarding the Preparation strategy for SSC CGL Tier 3. One should know certain guidelines in order to clear Tier III/ Descriptive examination.
Now, How to prepare for SSC CGL Tier III Exam?
- The most important aspect of preparation for SSC CGL Tier III will be writing practice. Every candidate must write a few pages a day in order to remain in the loop.
- Try to understand their structure and style of Editorials from Newspaper. This will help in preparation of the structure of your essay.
- Structure of Letter writing is a very important part of your writing. Try to understand the structure of various writings. If a letter’s structure is not correct, then the candidate may lose marks for that
- For essay preparation, prepare mind maps of important topics in news recently – like Rural electrification, India’s performance at CWG 2018 etc.
- Read blogs, newspapers, books and refer the dictionary regularly, It will help in precise
- Avoid Grammatical errors while writing an Essay, Precis or Letter. It may cost marks.
What to Read for SSC CGL Tier III?
For the applicants who are good at reading will have an upper hand in the examination. The habit of reading is a constant method. One must read from the below-mentioned resources to prepare well for SSC CGL Descriptive/ Tier 3 examination.
- The Hindu, Indian Express, The Mint etc – reading of these newspapers will be very beneficial for the preparation of the content for Essay Topics. Make notes on the important editorials and the facts in these newspapers which can be directly used in the essay.
Descriptive English by S.P. BAKSHI
- It will help you understand the basic writing skills for the essay, letter, and precis writing
151 Essays by S.C Gupta
- A book with a broad range of essay topics will give you a basic idea about essay writing, content and essay structure.
Handbook for letter writing by S.C. Gupta
- It will help you enhance the basics of Letter writing.
Essay Writing Tips – SSC CGL Preparation Tips for Tier III
- An essay should always be quality laded instead of Quantity. The prime focus should always remain on building quality for the readers.
- Choose topics which you are comfortable about and start writing instantly to avoid wasting time in thinking about the content of the essay.
- The Essay should cover all the subtopics and important highlights of the topic.
- Use subheadings to highlight subtopics.
- Avoid writing long paragraphs.
- Support your opinion with facts.
- Try to write a simple and crisp essay which can be understood easily.
- Give precise Introduction and Conclusion.
Most Important Essay Topics for SSC CGL Tier III
- Rural electrification
- India’s performance at CWG 2018
- Bullet Trains – Boon or Bane
- Religious Tolerance -Is it under threat?
- Women Empowerment – Actions by Government
- Rural Banking – Government schemes
Letter Writing Tips – SSC CGL Preparation Tips for Tier III
- A letter must be written in the correct format.
- Active & Passive voice should be used appropriately.
- Use concise points about issues and Topics.
- Avoid Grammatical Errors
- Maintain Good Handwriting throughout the writing
Most Important Letter Writing Topics for SSC CGL Tier III
- Complain letter regarding trouble common people faced due to Shortage of Cash in ATM’s.
- Letter about benefits and drawbacks of Demonetization
- Complain letter about Traffic problem near your locality and suggestions to improve it.
- Letter to present views on Reducing Corruption in Government offices.
- Letter to present views on the Impact of Global warming.
Precis Writing Tips – SSC CGL Preparation Tips for Tier III
- Read the passage very carefully and get an idea about the underlying message being conveyed through the passage
- Do not repeat sentences from the Passage.
- Try to summarize and write in your own words.
- Do not exceed the word limit. Exceeding it slightly (2 or 3 words) should be fine
How to Prepare for SSC CGL Exam 2018-2019?
To help the candidates get scores good and attain qualifying marks in the SSC CGL Tier1, Tier 2 & Tier 3 exam, we are here with some directions and essential SSC CGL Preparation Tips, which one needs to keep in mind while making study plans.
Knowledge of Syllabus and Pattern
The candidates must go through the following tips regarding the syllabus and exam pattern of SSC CGL:
- The very first that one needs to keep in mind before starting SSC CGL Preparation is syllabus and Exam Pattern.
- This will provide you with an insight into the examination and making further strategy will be easier.
- Knowing syllabus is always beneficial as one can focus on other important topics and prepare accordingly.
Analyze and Make Study Plan
After the syllabus, here comes another important task to analyze your weak and strong topics and make a perfect SSC CGL preparation plan according to that.
- Give more time to the weak topics.
- The preparation plan will give an edge over your preparation.
- The candidate can prepare the timetable according to your comfort.
Manage Your Time
The candidates should prepare according to the time constraint in the practice tests.
- One should consider the following points.
- Secondly, analyze the time one is taking to solve the questions and the average time one dedicates to each question.
- Also, be aware of the concept of negative marking and practice according to it.
- In case the candidates minimize your negative marking, it will be beneficial only
Making a Plan for the exam
Given below is the strategy in order to plan the SSC CGL exam:
- Since sectional timing is allocated, one cannot assign more time and energy to one section.
- So, give an equal amount of importance to all the subjects – Reasoning Ability, Numerical Ability, and English Language.
- Also, negative marking scheme is applicable. So, attempt only those questions which you are sure of.
Collect study materials
Candidates must follow the guidelines given below regarding study material:
- Collect quality study material as recommended by experts in the field.
- Besides that, make sure you reference the right books for a particular subject.
- Clear the basic concepts of all the important topics.
Follow a strict routine
Candidates must go through the following tips in regard to study routine for SSC CGL exam:
- Study according to the plan and do not wander away from your goals.
- Stay motivated to study and follow a strict routine to study.
- Discipline is an important factor for success.
- So, do not give up on dreams of cracking SSC CGL Exam
Take Mock Tests
The candidates must read the following reasons on why to take more and more Mock Tests:
- Firstly, candidates should definitely perform at least 2 Mock Test every day
- Especially, those subjects which candidates are weak at
- Also, mock tests help the candidates to evaluate their performance on their own
- The Mock Tests act as one’s own personal teacher or coach
- Besides that, the Mock Tests give a fair and unbiased result to the student
- Moreover, candidates can understand their mistakes very easily
- The more mock tests one performs, the better the candidate gets on the subject
Share your thoughts/queries here!