SSC CGL Preparation Tips – Tier I 2018
SSC CGL Preparation Tips – Tips, Tricks, and Strategies to clear SSC CGL Tier I or Prelims
SSC CGL Preparation Tips for Tier I 2018
Staff Selection Commission has released the SSC CGL 2018 official notification. This year, SSC has given some relief to the students introducing normalization of marks. The marks obtained by the students in Tier I & Tier II will be normalized based on the difficulty level of the paper. Normalization will be used select students to the next round.
SSC CGL is one of the most sought-after exams in the country. In 2017 alone, there were more than 30 lakh applicants for the exam. This year too, lakhs of people are taking the exam. The Preparation tips for SSC CGL is to guide you to clear the prelims. We have given the preparation tips along with the syllabus to make things easier.
Scheme of Examination:
- Tier I Exam: Computer Based Exam
- Tier II Exam: Computer Based Exam
- Tier III Exam: Pen and Paper Based exam
- Tier IV Exams: Computer Proficiency Test/ Skill Test/ Document Verification (wherever applicable)
Scheme of Tier I and Tier II Exams:
Tier I Exam:
|Subject||No. of Qs||Max. Marks||Time|
|General Intelligence & Reasoning||25||50||60 minutes|
Negative marking of 0.50 marks for every wrong answer.
Preparation Tips for SSC CGL Tier I
We advise you to follow the four keys to success before you start preparing for the exam. We have given the same below.
(A): General Intelligence & Reasoning: It would include questions of both verbal and non-verbal type. Level of Difficulty will be of Graduation level.
Watch this video to know the SSC CGL Tier I Reasoning Preparation Tips 2018:
SSC CGL Preparation Tips for Reasoning:
The reasoning is an important section. The level of difficulty for Reasoning will be of graduation level. We have given a list of topics in the order of Difficult to Easy that are important from exam point of view.
1.Coding-Decoding: Coding-Decoding is very tricky questions and needs time to solve. Only practice will help.
2. Non- Verbal Reasoning: Pictorial Analogies, Symbol series, symbolic operations, numeric patterns, spatial relations, space visualizations, Spatial Reasoning, mirror image and space image are examples of questions. Preparation will be of great help.
3. Matrix and puzzles: The sections test your unusual and creative ways of solving problems. It is difficult and time-consuming. Preparation will be of great help.
4. Analysis Judgment: It requires critical thinking and needs a lot of time to solve. Questions include blood relation, Direction, Height, and Sequence. Only good practice can help you to solve this quickly.
5. Numerical Operations: Numerical Operations are easy if you are well versed with the formula.
6. Classification: Easiest to solve
7. Arrange words in Logical Order: Most candidates get this right if you know ABCD alphabets quite well.
8. Syllogism: Draw Venn Diagrams to avoid confusion. Read questions well to avoid mistakes as sometimes questions are tricky
9. Verbal Analogies: A good Vocabulary will help you solve this section. Try to find the relationship between the two words in the right context.
SSC CGL Preparation Tips for General Awareness:
(B): General Awareness: Questions in this component will be aimed at testing the candidates’ general awareness of the environment around him and its application to society. Questions will also be designed to test knowledge of current events and of such matters of everyday observations and experience in their scientific aspect as may be expected of any educated person. The test will also include questions relating to India and its neighboring countries especially pertaining History, Culture, Geography, Economic Scene, General Policy & Scientific Research. Level of Difficulty will be of Graduation level.
- Read News and Newspapers regularly. You can use any of the dozens of news apps and install them on your smartphone to subscribe to the notifications to make the most of them. This is a smart way of preparing for SSC CGL.
- Go through all the current affairs events that have happened in the last 6 months.
- Refer to books like Manorama Yearbook 2018, Competition success review
- Make note of all the national and international events
- Give special focus on Static GK as this will help you in the exams.
- General Awareness can be a scoring section, but it comes only with reading.
(C): Quantitative Aptitude:
The section will be of the difficulty level of 10th Standard or SSLC.
Watch this video to know the SSC CGL Tier I Quantitative Aptitude Preparation Tips 2018:
Important Topics for Quantitative Aptitude:
1. LCM and HCF
2. Time and Work
3. Piper and Cistern
4. Number System
1. Ratio and Proportion
2. Mixture and Alligation
2. Simple Interest
3. Compound Interest
4. Profit and Loss
1. Time, Distance and Training
2. Boat and Stream
SSC CGL Preparation Tips for Quantitative Aptitude:
- Once you are aware of the exam syllabus, know your weakness and strengths.
- Prepare strategies for the examination according to your abilities
- Create a time frame for solving problems that you have in Quantitative Aptitude
- Do not waste time doing unproductive things
- Learn all the concepts well because you cannot solve difficult questions without the ability to solve easy questions
- Solve Mock tests for each section of the exam.
- Use a Stop Watch or Stop Watch on your mobile while solving problems.
- Master Quantitative Aptitude section, as one cannot crack SSC CGL without paying attention to this section.
- You can refer to Class 9, 10, 11, 12 NCERT Mathematics books.
(D): English Comprehension:
You will be tested for your ability to understand correct English, and basic comprehension and writing ability. The Level of Difficulty will be of Graduation level.
Watch this video to know the SSC CGL Tier I English Preparation Tips 2018:
Give Importance to the following sections:
1. Sentence Connectors
2. Para- completion
3. Fill in the blanks
4. Reading Comprehension
5. Synonyms and Antonyms
6. Theme based questions
7. Cloze test
SSC CGL Preparation Tips: Quick and Handy Tips for Tier I
- Follow Exam Pattern and Syllabus
- Solve numerical and word problems
- Stay updated with current affairs and Static GK
- Evaluate your performance regularly with the help of mock tests
- Improve your language and prepare for English comprehension
- Accuracy is essential in solving a mathematical problem
- Solve mock Tests: Solve mock Tests as this is the only way you are going to improve your scores.
- Quality over Quantity: give importance to Quality as accuracy and correct understanding of questions will give you the edge over your peers. Merely attempting more questions will not help you.
- Give importance to Time: There is not much time to solve the paper. There are a lot of questions and little time to solve each one of them.
- Review: Review your performance: Review your performance regularly. Monitor yourself and how you are progressing.
Follow the mantra of Be Positive.
- The exam is a challenge, so the practice of mock tests can help you crack the exam.
- Drink Water and eat well before the exams.
Stay tuned for more updates on SSC CGL Preparation Tips
Share your thoughts/queries here!