SSC CGL Important Idioms and Phrases Asked PDF Download
Idioms and Phrases is one of the important topics in the SSC CGL English section. In both the tiers, we can observe questions from this topic. To help the candidate’s preparation, we have provided free SSC CGL Idioms and Phrases PDF which includes the most commonly asked and important questions.
- Enhance your preparation for SSC CGL Exams by downloading more SSC CGL Study Notes prepared by experts.
- We have compiled the Idioms and Phrases from the Previous year’s SSC CGL Exam Paper. Solving previous year’s questions will help in knowing the difficulty level of the exam and estimating which type of questions can be asked.
SSC CGL Idioms and Phrases PDF
- Around 5-6 Idioms and Phrases questions appear in every Combined Graduate Level Exam to test the candidate’s knowledge in the English section.
- Download the PDF to begin the preparation for the exam. Solving SSC CGL Previous Year Papers is one of the best-suggested strategies to understand the difficulty level of questions.
- Make a habit to study regularly without neglecting so that it will increase your confidence level to score more.
Idioms and Phrases asked in the SSC CGL Tier 1 Exam 2020
As the SSC CGL Tier 1 exam was successfully completed in the month of March 2020, we have provided Idioms and Phrases that have asked in the Tie1 -1 exam in PDF format. It helps candidates to know the type of questions asked in the exam and the difficulty level of the paper.
Candidates can view or download the SSC CGL Idioms and Phrases PDF and start their preparation accordingly for the Tier 2 Exam.
Go through the table below to know the weightage of questions of both Tier-1 and Tier-2 Exam.
|Exam||Number of Questions Asked|
Important Idioms and Phrases Questions
Here are a few important Idioms and their meanings that appeared in previous year’s SSC Exams. Take a look at Idioms and Phrases PDF for SSC CGL Preparation listed below.
To attempt more questions and analyze your preparation click on the below link.
Most Expected SSC CGL Idioms & Phrases Questions
Here are a few SSC CGL Important Idioms & Phrases. Ensure to go through these questions which are frequently asked and very important questions.
1. rank and File – Ordinary People
2. By fits and starts – In short periods, not regularly
3. Between the devil and the deep sea – Between two dangers
4. Hit the nail on the head – Do or say the exact thing
5. To play ducks and drakes – To act foolishly or inconsistently
6. Like a cat on hot bricks – Very nervous
7. Cock and bull story – Made up a story that one should not believe
8. Put the cart before the horse – Put or do things in the wrong order
9. In the nick of time – Just at the last moment
10. Read between the lines – Understand the hidden meaning
Enhance your preparation for SSC CGL Exams by practicing Idioms and Phrases from the PDF provided here.
Idioms and Phrases Asked in SSC CGL Tier 1 & 2 Exam
Here is the list of Idioms and Phrases asked in the SSC CGL Exam. Practice these questions and know which type of questions can be asked.
SSC CGL Tier 2 Exam Questions
- To pull one’s socks up.
- To give chapter and verse for a thing.
- Getting into a row.
- Utopian Idea.
- The fit of the blues.
- The trouble makers
- Catch 22
- Foot the Bill
- Give it a Whirl
- Weather the storm
- Green willow
- Study of snakes
- Reap the whirlwind
- Wild and woolly
- Whoop it up
- With the Vengeance
- Spin your wheels
- Up against the wall
- One who eats mud
SSC CGL Tier 1 Exam Questions
- Fuel to fire
- Flog the Dead Horse
- Bed of Roses
- Hold the Water
- Bee’s Knees
- Dead Heat
- Hard nut to Crack
- French leave
- Snake in the grass
How to Prepare for Idioms & Phrases Section
Idioms are a group of words or an expression derived by the usage that doesn’t give a direct meaning. To score the highest marks in the Idioms section, students must be aware of how to use them while framing a sentence. Follow the simple steps provided below to know how to memorize the idioms and Phrases for SSC CGL easily.
- As per the experts, whenever you are preparing Idioms & Phrases, try to relate them to stories and remember them with visualization.
- Learning all the idioms at a time makes students difficult to remember. So, never try to learn all the idioms at a time.
- Try to make sentences out of the idioms/phrases. This trick will help remember what was learned.
- Take up practice tests and daily quizzes on idioms.
- Sum up all the Idioms and phrases from the previous-year books and question papers and start solving them.
- Revise all the idioms you have learned on a weekly basis.
How to attempt the Idioms Section in the SSC CGL Exam?
Idioms & Phrases are the easiest part of the SSC CGL English Section. If students are familiar with idioms& phrases, then they can score maximum marks easily in this section.
- First, try to understand the actual meaning of the context and choose the correct idiom from the given answers.
- Learning at least 20 idioms easily will help attempt the idiom section easily in the exam.
- Solving the SSC CGL previous year papers would definitely help you to score more marks in this section, as most of the questions will be repeated in the exam.
Commonly Asked Idioms and Phrases Questions in SSC CGL
Let us have a look at the commonly asked questions of Idioms and Phrases for SSC CGL Exam.
|Idioms & Phrases||Meaning|
|Rank and File||Ordinary People|
|By fits and starts||In short periods, not regularly|
|A wee bit||A little|
|Out of the wood||Free from difficulties and dangers|
|Under his thumb||Under his control|
|At one’s wits end||In a state where one does not know what to do|
|Between the devil and the deep sea||Between two dangers|
|Burn the midnight oil||Work or study hard|
|Call a spade a spade||Speak frankly and directly|
|Come off with flying colors||Be highly successful|
|Hoping against hope||Without hope|
|Hit the nail on the head||Do or say the exact thing|
|An axe to grind||A personal interest in the matter|
|To get rid of||Dispose of|
|At daggers drawn||Bitterly hostile|
|To play ducks and drakes||To act foolishly or inconsistently|
|To take the bull by the horns||To tackle a problem in a bold and direct fashion|
|Rain cats and dogs||Rain heavily|
|To move heaven and earth||To make a supreme effort|
|No avail||Without any result|
|Bark up the wrong tree||Accuse or denounce the wrong person|
|Keep one at bay||Keep one at a distance|
|Make a clean breast of it||Confess – especially when a person has done a wrong thing|
|Have a card up one’s sleeve||Have a secret plan in reserve|
|Like a cat on hot bricks||Very nervous|
Best Books for Idioms Preparation
To enhance preparation, it is important for candidates to refer to the best books of Idioms and Phases. Check the details tabulated below to know the Best Books for SSC CGL preparation of Idioms & Phrases for SSC CGL.
|English Idioms in Use Intermediate||Michael McCarthy|
|Oxford Word Skills Advanced Idioms & Phrasal Verbs||Ruth Gairns|
|Work on Your Idioms||Sandra Anderson|
|Advanced English||Robert Allans|
Share your thoughts/queries here!