SSC CGL Exam Pattern 2018-19 – Details Of Tier 1, Tier 2, Tier 3 and Tier 4
- SSC CGL Exam Schedule (Tentative)
- SSC CGL Exam Pattern 2018-19: Highlights
- SSC CGL Exam Pattern for Tier 1
- SSC CGL Exam Pattern for Tier 2
- SSC CGL Exam Pattern (Tier 3)
- SSC CGL Syllabus 2018-19
- SSC CGL Preparation Strategy
SSC CGL 2018-19 is scheduled in online mode from June 04, 2019- June 13, 2019. The exam was previously scheduled until June 19, 2019. There is a recent change in the exam date for SSC CGL 2018.
SSC CGL Exam Pattern includes the number of questions, details of mode of the exam and the recent changes introduced in the exam. SSC CGL exam paper takes place in 4 stages- Tier 1, Tier 2, Tier 3 and Tier 4.
- The pattern for various levels of the examination will be different to each other.
- SSC CGL Tier 1 will be having total 200 questions separated in 4 sections. The sections are General Intelligence and Reasoning, General Awareness/General Knowledge, Quantitative Aptitude & English Comprehension.
- There will be 200 questions in each of the 4 sections of SSC CGL Tier 2 pattern. The paper would be for 800 marks. The time allotted will be 2 hours
- SSC CGL Tier 3 question paper will be a descriptive language exam of English/Hindi. The time allotted is 1 hour, comprised of 100 marks
- SSC CGL Tier 4 is a 15 minutes Data entry and Computer Proficiency Test.
Change in SSC CGL Exam Pattern
- SSC has made a small change in the exam pattern 2018-19
- They have added 100 more questions in the English section in Tier 2
SSC CGL Exam Schedule (Tentative)
Given below is the tentative exam schedule for SSC CGL 2018-19:
|Date||Shift1 Timings||Shift 2 Timings||Shift 3 Timings|
|June 04, 2019||10:00 am- 11:00 am||01:00 pm- 02:00 pm||04:00 pm- 05:00 pm|
|June 06, 2019-June 07, 2019||10:00 am- 11:00 am||01:00 pm- 02:00 pm||04:00 pm- 05:00 pm|
|June 10, 2019- June 13, 2019||10:00 am- 11:00 am||01:00 pm- 02:00 pm||04:00 pm- 05:00 pm|
SSC CGL Exam Pattern 2018-19: Highlights
It is very crucial to keep in mind the necessary details regarding SSC CGL Exam. Hence, the table below tells us the important information in brief about the SSC CGL Exam:
|Exam||SSC Combined Graduate Level Examination(CGL)|
|Conducting Body||Staff Selection Commission (SSC)|
|Tier 1 (Prelim)||Total Marks – 200
Total Questions – 200
|Tier 2 (Main)||Total Marks – 800 (200 for each paper)
|Tier 3 (Descriptive)||Type – Descriptive
Time – 1 hour
Language – English/Hindi
|Tier 4 (DEST/CPT)||Time – 15 minutes
Tests – Data Entry Skill Test (DEST)/Computer Proficiency Test (CPT)
SSC CGL Exam Pattern for Tier 1
- SSC CGL Tier 1 is an Objective paper.
- Moreover, it also includes a negative marking of 0.50
- The total time allotted to complete Tier 1 is 60 minutes
- For disabled candidates, the time allotted is 80 minutes
Hence, the table below gives the UPDATED information about SSC CGL Tier 1:
|Number of Papers||1|
|Total Number of Questions||100|
|Total Time||60 Minutes (80 minutes for disabled candidates)|
|Negative Marking||Yes (0.50 for each wrong answer)|
|Question Type||Objective (MCQs)|
SSC CGL Exam Pattern: Marking Scheme (Tier 1)
Following is the marking scheme in SSC CGL Tier 1:
|Section||Subject||Maximum Marks||No. of Questions|
|A||General Intelligence and Reasoning||50||25|
SSC CGL Exam Pattern for Tier 2
- SSC CGL Tier 2 consists of a negative marking of 0.25
- Moreover, the exam mode is online
- Moreover, the time allotted to complete the paper is 2 hours (2 hours 40 minutes for PwD candidates)
- Hence, the SSC CGL Tier 2 will cover 4 sections
The following table gives a neat and clean idea of Tier 2 exam pattern:
|Number of Papers||4|
|Subjects||Paper- 1: Quantitative Ability
Paper-2: English Language and Comprehension
Paper-3: Statistics (only for the post of Statistical Investigator Gr. II & Compiler
Paper-4: General Studies (Finance and Economics) (Just for the post of Assistant Audit Officer)
|Total Marks||800 (200 in each paper)|
|Total Time||2 hours (2 hours 40 minutes)|
|Negative Marking||Yes (0.25 deduction on every wrong answer)|
|Question Type||Objective (MCQs)|
SSC CGL Exam Pattern Marking Scheme (Tier 2)
- SSC CGL Tier 2 total questions are of 800 marks
- So, each section is of 200 marks
- The total number of questions are 500
The following table tells about the marking scheme of TIER-2
|Section||Maximum Marks||No. of Questions|
|English Language & Comprehension||200||200|
SSC CGL Exam Pattern (Tier 3)
- Tier – 3 examination for SSC CGl is a descriptive exam to test the writing skills of the candidates in English/Hindi.
- Furthermore, the examination will be conducted in offline mode
- The exam lasts for 60 minutes.
- PWD category will have a total time of 80 minutes to complete the paper
- Also, only specific candidates will attempt Tier – 3, those who are applying for the post of “Statistical Investigator Grade II” and “Compiler”
- The difficulty level of the exam will be of 10+2 grade
The following table clarifies all details about SSC CGL Tier 3 minutely:
|Number of Papers||1|
|Difficulty Level||10+12th standard|
|Duration||1 hour (80 minutes for VH & candidates suffering from Cerebral Palsy)|
SSC CGL Exam Pattern: Marking Scheme for Tier 3
TIER-3 marking scheme details are given in the table below:
|Descriptive Paper in English/Hindi (writing of Essays/Préci/Letter/Applications etc||100|
SSC CGL Tier – 4 Exam Pattern
Through the DEST Test, the typing speed of the candidate will be tested as part of Tier 4 Examination. Therefore, candidates are provided with an English article. Moreover, they will be required to type 2000 words in 15 minutes
|Total Marks||Qualifying in Nature|
|Time Duration||15 minutes|
|Tests||Data Entry Skill Test (DEST)/Computer Proficiency Test (CPT)|
|Data Entry Skill Test (DEST)||Only for candidates applying for the positions of Tax assistants (in Central Excise and Income Tax)
Criteria: 8000 key depression per hour
|Computer Proficiency Test (CPT)||Only for candidates who are applying for the positions of Assistant Section Officer
Three modules: Word Processing, Spreadsheet, and Generation of Slides
- Questions in Paper I will be of 10th standard level, Paper II of 10+2 level, and Paper III of graduation level.
- So, the difficulty level of SSC CGL Exam increases every year with enhanced competition and the awareness about the SSC CGL
SSC CGL Syllabus 2018-19
Following are the tables with important topics of SSC CGL Tier 1, 2, 3 and 4 from the syllabus that you can start preparing.
SSC CGL Syllabus Tier 1
|Subject||Important Topics of SSC CGL Syllabus Tier 1|
|General Intelligence and Reasoning||Analogy, Codding-Decoding, Puzzle, Matrix, Word formation, Verbal Reasoning, Non-Verbal Reasoning, Problem Solving, Word Building, Space Orientation, Emotional Intelligence, Social Intelligence|
|General Awareness||Static General Knowledge, Science, Current Affairs, Sports|
|Quantitative Aptitude||Simplification, Interest, Averages, Percentage, Ratio and Proportion, Problem on Ages, Speed Distance and Time, algebra, Trigonometry, Geometry, Square Roots, Profit & Loss, Discount, Histogram, Graphs|
|English Comprehension||Reading Comprehension, Spellings, Phrases and Idioms, One-word Substitution, Sentence Correction|
SSC CGL Detailed Tier-2 Syllabus
|Subject||SSC CGL Tier 2 Syllabus|
|Quantitative Aptitude||Simplification, Interest, Averages, Percentage, Time and Work, Algebra, Trigonometry, Geometry, Data Sufficiency, Square Roots, Profit & Loss, Histogram, Graphs|
|English Language||Reading Comprehension, Spelling, Fill in the Blanks, Phrases and Idioms, One Word Substitution, Sentence Correction, Error Spotting, Cloze Test
Para Jumbles, Synonyms-Antonyms, Active-Passive Voice, Synonyms/Antonyms, Indirect/Direct Speech
|Statistics important topics||Collection and Representation of Data, Moments, Sampling Theory, Analysis of Variance, Time Series Analysis, Index Number, Statistical Inference,|
|General Awareness||Finance and Accounting, Fundamental Principles, Financial Accounting, Basic Concepts of Accounting, Self-Balancing Ledger, Error Spotting and Correction, Economics and Governance, Comptroller and Auditor General of India, Finance Commission, Indian economy, economic reforms, money and banking, role of IT in governance|
SSC CGL Syllabus for Tier-3
The SSC CGL Syllabus for Tier 3 descriptive paper consists of:
- Letter Writing
- Precis Writing
- Application Writing
- Essay Writing
SSC CGL Tier-4 Syllabus
The following is the updated and important topics on Social issues and current affairs:
- Social Issues like Poverty, Education, Equality, Women Empowerment, Right to Information, Social Evils, Corruption
- Politics, Schemes & Governance Elections, Demonetization, GST, Appointments, Officeholders.
- Finance & Economy: Important Events in the Indian and global economy, Demonetization, RBI Rates, GDP Rates etc.
- Environmental Concerns: Pollution, Overpopulation, Ecology
- Sports: Recent victories, tournaments, matches, Wins, retirements
- Geopolitics: Chinese aggression in the Indian Ocean, Syrian Refugee Crisis
- Technology: Digital payments, E-Wallets and UPI, Social Networks etc
Click here for Detailed SSC CGL Syllabus
SSC CGL Preparation Strategy
Certainly, preparation for any exam takes dedication and hard work. Hence, there are so many ways a candidate can prepare for SSC CGL in an easy and effortless way. So, some of them are as follows:
Tips To Prepare for English Language and Comprehension
- More importantly, focus on your Grammar because, without it, the sentences are not clearly understood
- Additionally, practice Reading Comprehension every day (at least 3 passages)
- Moreover, learn a new word every day to enhance your Vocabulary. It will help you a lot in your exam
- Furthermore, Read. Reading is the best way to enhance your command and understanding of the English language
Click Here and Join English Classes for SSC Exams by Ajay Kumar Singh Sir
Tips to Prepare for Quantitative Aptitude Section
- Manage your time well. Importantly, try to give your time to each section
- Also, the calculation speed matters a lot. So, practice as much as you can
- Take Quizzes, certainly, as a part of practice and keep a major check on your performance levels
- Most importantly, if you opt for using some kind of short cut, it is good. But if you are not sure, do not risk any wrong answer
Take SSC CGL Free Quizzes Here!
Tips for General Intelligence and Reasoning
- First of all, sharpen your problem-solving skills. So, you can do it by performing Quizzes and giving Mock Tests from time to time.
- Secondly. do one topic at a time and do it extremely thoroughly that you do not have to devote your time to it again.
- Moreover, revise the order of Alphabets, forward and backward both.
- Also, for General Intelligence, be aware of current issues/affairs which are going on and read a newspaper every day
Tips for preparing General Awareness & General Knowledge
- First and foremost, be updated with the current affairs by reading a newspaper or watching the news
- Additionally, read more and more social welfare issues which are currently going on
- Also, grab the understanding of basic and common topics of Science
- Finally, learn different topic every day about History, Geography, Economy etc.
So for more Elaboration On How To Prepare For SSC CGL, Click Here!
Share your thoughts/queries here!