SBI PO Syllabus 2020 PDF Download: Check Prelims & Mains Important Topics
- SBI PO Syllabus 2020 PDF
- Important Topics of SBI PO Syllabus 2020
- SBI PO Prelims Syllabus 2020
- SBI PO Preliminary Exam Syllabus for Reasoning 2020
- Type of Questions asked in the Reasoning Section
- Important Reasoning Questions
- How to Prepare for Reasoning Section?
- SBI PO Preliminary Exam Syllabus for Quantitative Ability
- Type of Questions asked in the Quantitative Section
- Important Quantitative Ability Questions
- How to Prepare for Quantitative Ability Section?
- SBI PO Preliminary Exam Syllabus for the English Language
- Type of Questions asked in the English Section
- Important English Questions
- How to Prepare for English Section?
- SBI PO Mains Syllabus 2020
- SBI PO Syllabus – Group Discussion & Interview
- SBI PO Syllabus – Group Discussion & Interview
- SBI PO Preparation Books
- SBI PO Preparation Tips 2020
- SBI PO Syllabus FAQ’s
The State bank of India conducts the SBI PO Exam every year to recruit eligible candidates for managerial cadre positions. candidates who are appearing for the exam must be aware of the SBI PO Syllabus 2020.
- As per the SBI PO Notification, the Prelims exam is conducted tentatively in the month of July 2020.
- The SBI PO Syllabus consists of three sections: Reasoning Ability, English Language, and Quantitative Aptitude.
- The SBI PO Mains Syllabus consists of four sections: English Language, Data Analysis & Interpretation, Reasoning & Computer Aptitude, and General Awareness.
- As per the experts, solving SBI PO Previous Year Question Papers will help candidates to know the difficulty level of the paper, exam pattern, marking scheme, and type of questions asked in the exam.
SBI PO Syllabus 2020 PDF
Candidates qualifying in the SBI PO Prelims Exam will be eligible for the Mains exam. For a successful preparation, candidates must be thorough with the SBI PO Syllabus 2020.
- In the prelims exam, most of the reasoning questions are asked from the topics like Logical Reasoning, Puzzle and Seating Arrangement, blood relations, Coding-Decoding, etc.
- Going through the SBI PO Free Study Materials will save your time and direct your preparation in the right direction.
- In this post, we have provided the subject-wise SBI PO Syllabus PDF for Prelims and Mains. Also, the important topics and their weightage of questions.
- Candidates can view or download the SBI PO Syllabus 2020 PDF and can start their preparation accordingly.
Important Topics of SBI PO Syllabus 2020
Here we have provided the subject-wise important topics based on the previous year analysis. Knowing the important topics will help candidates to focus more on those and score more marks in the exam.
- Covering all the subjects in one go is not the motive here, the students need to be more specific on what to take up and whatnot.
- Following preparation Tips provided by experts will help candidates to better prepare for the exam.
- Know the important topics of both Prelims and Mains SBI PO 2020 Syllabus in the table provided below.
Important Topics of SBI PO Prelims Syllabus 2020
Let us have a look at the table below to know all the important topics under SBI PO Prelims Syllabus 2020.
|Logical Reasoning||Profit & Loss||Cloze Test|
|Seating Arrangement||Time & Distance||Reading Comprehension|
|Puzzle||Data Interpretation||Para jumbles|
|Syllogism||Permutation, Combination &Probability||Miscellaneous|
|Blood Relations||Work & Time||Fill in the blanks|
|Data Sufficiency||Number Systems||Multiple Meaning /Error Spotting|
|Coded Inequalities||Simple Interest & Compound Interest & Surds & Indices||Paragraph Completion|
Important Topics of SBI PO Mains Syllabus 2020
Candidates can go through the important topics of SMI PO Mains Syllabus 2020 in the table below.
|Data Analysis & Interpretation||Tabular Graph||Line Graph/Bar Graph||Probability|
|Data Sufficiency||Permutation and Combination||Pie Charts|
|Reasoning||Verbal Reasoning||Syllogism||Circular Seating Arrangement|
|Linear Seating Arrangement||Blood Relations, Critical Reasoning||Input-Output, Analytical and Decision Making|
|Data Sufficiency||Coding-Decoding, Course of Action||Critical Reasoning|
|Computer Aptitude||Internet||Memory||Computer Abbreviation|
|Keyboard Shortcuts||Computer Hardware||Number System|
|General/Economy/Banking Awareness||Current Affairs||Financial Awareness||General Knowledge|
|Static Awareness||Banking Terminologies Knowledge||Banking Awareness|
|English Language||Reading Comprehension||Grammar||Verbal Ability|
|Vocabulary||Error Spotting||Cloze Test|
|Fill in the blanks||–||–|
SBI PO Prelims Syllabus 2020
Prelims Exam consists of mainly three sections-Reasoning, Quantitative Ability, and the English language. And all the three sections have their own separate topics. Go through the SBI PO Exam Pattern to get more understanding about the exam.
- The Prelims exam will take place in an online mode
- The medium of questions will be English and Hindi. The candidates will get a bi-lingual question paper
- Firstly, there are a total of three subjects that have to be covered to crack the exam
- Secondly, the topics in the table below must be mastered by the candidates
- Ensure to study each topic as per the SBI PO 2020 Syllabus. Also taking up FREE Banking Quiz regularly can help in analyzing your preparation levels.
SBI PO Preliminary Exam Syllabus for Reasoning 2020
Here is the table showing the important topics and weightage of questions of the reasoning section. Attempting FREE Reasoning Quiz regularly can help in understanding each topic better and answer the questions correctly.
|Puzzle and Seating Arrangement||19|
Type of Questions asked in the Reasoning Section
Generally, the following type of questions has been asked from each topic of the SBI PO Reasoning section.
- Syllogism – Conventional, Coded, and Reverse questions
- Ordering and Ranking – Mostly Puzzle on ordering by age, floor, and
- Inequalities – General & Coded inequalities
- Coding & Decoding – Coding by Fictitious Language, Coding by analogy, coding by words, coding-decoding by letter shifting, etc.
- Blood Relations – Family tree and Blood relation problems
- Direction & Distance – Problems based on Turns, stops, and angles
- Puzzles – Seating Arrangement, Double Line up Arrangement, Floor Puzzle, Scheduling, Boc Based, etc.
- Data Sufficiency – Coding-Decoding, Scheduling, Seating Arrangement, Direction & Distance, Blood Relation, etc.
- Input and Output – Less likely to appear. Conventional or Coded
- Arrangement and pattern – Less likely to appear. Number and Letter Based(Based on Series & Groups)
Important Reasoning Questions
Q) In a certain code language ‘how many goals scored’ is written as ‘5 3 9 7’; ‘many more matches’ is written as‘9 8 2’ and ‘he scored five’ is written as ‘1 6 3’. How is ‘goals’ written in that code language?
(a) 5 (b) 7 (c) 5 or 7 (d) Data inadequate (e) None of these
Q) In a certain code TEMPORAL is written as OLDSMBSP. How is CONSIDERwritten in that code?
(a) RMNBSFEJ (b) BNMRSFEJ (c) RMNBJEFS (d) TOPDQDCH (e) None of these
Q) How many meaningful English words can be made with the letters DLEI using each letter only once in each word?
(a) None (b One (c) Two (d) Three (e) More than three
Q) Among A, B, C, D, and E each having different weights, D is heavier than only A, and C is lighter than B and E. Who among them is the heaviest?
(a) B (b) E (c) C (d) Data inadequate (5) None of these
Q) Town D is towards East of town F. Town B is towards North of town D. Town H is towards South of town B. Towards which direction is town H from town F?
(a) East (b) South-East (c) North-East (d) Data inadequate (6) None of these
How to Prepare for Reasoning Section?
- Before starting their preparation candidates are advised to separate the easy topics and tricky topics.
- First, start with easy topics and then proceed to tricky topics.
- Focus on the more difficult concepts in Syllogism and that will help you score maximum marks in the exam.
- While solving direct & distance problems, try to solve more difficult questions on your own without searching for solutions.
- Daily solve at least 10-15 puzzles.
- Also, be sure to solve the easier questions first in the exam and do not waste spending more time on topics like syllogism, coding-decoding, inequalities, analogies, etc.
SBI PO Preliminary Exam Syllabus for Quantitative Ability
The below table explains the list of important topics and the number of questions asked from each topic. Take up FREE Quant Quiz to know how much you are aware of each topic.
|Quantitative Ability||Number of Questions|
|Profit & Loss||1|
|Simple Interest & Compound Interest & Surds & Indices||1|
|Work & Time||2|
|Time & Distance||1|
|Mensuration – Cylinder, Cone, Sphere||1|
|Ratio & Proportion, Percentage||2|
|Missing Number Series||5|
|Sequence & Series||2|
|Miscellaneous Word Problem||10|
Type of Questions asked in the Quantitative Section
Let us have a look at the type of questions asked form each topic of the quantitative section.
- Simplification – BODMAS, Approx.
- Ratio & Proportion – Simple Ratios, Compound Ratios
- Mixture Problems – Questions based on Mixture of two or three quantities and their ratio
- Number System – LCM, HCF, Integers, Rational Irrational Numbers
- Algebra – Quadratic Equations and Linear Equations
- Profit & Loss – Problem-related to Dishonest Dealings, Successive Selling, Partnership & Discount, and M
- Average – Average Weight/Height/Age/Marks, Average Money Expenditure, Average Temperature, etc.
- Percentage – Calculation-oriented basic percentage Questions
- Time & Work – Work Efficiency, Work & wages, Pipe & Cistern
- Interest – Simple Interest, Compound Interest, Simple a7 Compound Interest both & Installments
- Speed, Time & Distance – Problems on Trains, Boats, Rivers, Relative Speed, Average Speed, and Partial Speed
- Permutation & combination – Problems based on Basic selection and Arrangement Problems
- Probability – Very Basic problems on Probability
- Mensuration – Problems related to Area, surface area & volume of various geometrical shapes
- Number Series – Finding the missing term and wrong term
- Data Sufficiency – Data Sufficiency problems
- Data Interpretation – Pie Chart, Line chart, bar graph, table & caselet
- Comparison of Quantities – General Arithmetic topics
Important Quantitative Ability Questions
Q) What is the respective ratio of total number of candidates clearing the entrance exam from State Bin the year 2004 to those clearing the entrance exam from State C in the same year?
(a) 221: 148 (b) 218: 143 (c) 148: 221 (d) 143: 218 (e) None of these
Q) If the profit earned by Company M in the year 2008 was Rs. 3.63 lakhs, what was the amount of profit earned by it in the year 2006?
(a) Rs. 2.16 lakhs (b) Rs.1.98 lakhs (c) Rs. 2.42 lakhs (d) Cannot be determined (e) None of these
Q) If the speed of the boat is 500% more than the speed of a current. Quantity I – ‘X’: If the boat can travel a distance of 63 km 3 hr, in downstream then ‘X’ is the speed of the boat in ups
(a) Quantity I > Quantity II (b) Quantity I < Quantity II (c) Quantity I ≥ Quantity II (d) Quantity I ≤ Quantity II (e) Quantity I = Quantity II or No relation
Q) If the sum of investment of A in both schemes and total profit obtained by A from both scheme is invested at compound interest at the rate of 20% p.a. then find the total compound interest obtained in 2 yr
(a) 106240 (b) 108240 (c) 102208 (d) 123480 (e) 106500
Q) Sum of A’s and B’s age 6 years ago is 88. A’s age 18 yrs ago is equal to B’s age 6 years ago. Find the age of A two years hence?
(a) 51 yrs (b) 62 yrs (c) 22 yrs (d) 58 yr (e) 18 yrs
How to Prepare for Quantitative Ability Section?
- It is important for candidates to learn all the basic mathematical formulae.
- candidates are advised to take out at least 3-4 hours daily to devote to the Maths section.
- Try solving and understanding the questions and concepts from the book titled Quantum CAT by Sarvesh K Verma.
- Practice as many as sample papers to get a clear idea about the type of questions asked in the Maths section and the difficulty level of the questions.
- Solve SBI PO Mock Tests and on a daily basis and try to analyze the question from these test series.
- Do not cramp all the formulas in a single day.
SBI PO Preliminary Exam Syllabus for the English Language
The below table explains the important topics in SBI PO Syllabus 2020 PDF for English along with the number of questions asked from each topic. Our FREE English Quiz can help candidates to know the difficulty level of the paper and know which type of questions can be asked.
|Match the following based on Sentence Formation||2|
|Multiple Meaning /Error Spotting||6|
Type of Questions asked in the English Section
Go through the type of questions asked from each topic of the English section in the SBI PO Exam.
- Reading Comprehension – The passage will focus on topics like moral stories, humanities, social issues, economy, and business. Vocabulary based and Idiom based questions.
- Cloze Test – Questions based on a passage containing a particular idea
- Error Detection – Questions based on finding an error in a sentence
- Fill in the Blanks – Questions covering vocabulary and Grammar
- Verbal ability – Questions based on para jumbles, Match the following, etc.
Important English Questions
(a) Deprived (b) Disadvantaged (c) Hungry (d) Fasting (e) Emaciated
Q) Even as the _____ elsewhere in the world are struggling to come out of recession, Indian consumers are splurging on consumer goods and to _____ this growth, companies are investing heavily in various sectors.
(a) economies, meet (b) countries, inhibit (c) governments, measure (d) nations, inflict (e) companies, counter
Q) Which of the following sentence should be the FIFTH after rearrangement?
(a) A (b) B (c) C (d) E (e) F
Q) Denial of wages forced scientists and teachers at the agriculture universities throughout the country to go on strike, crippling crucial research that could help the state of agriculture in the country
(a) from going on strike (b) which went on strike (c) on going for a strike (d) for going to strike (e) No correction required
(a) Absorbed (b) Accelerated (c) Grew (d) Plunged (e) Mismanaged
How to Prepare for English Section?
- If the students have a clear concept on the use of basic elements such as prepositions and adjectives, they can easily get through this section with a heavy score.
- Candidates can brush up their grammar and vocabulary skills by reading newspapers, magazines daily.
- Try to learn at least 20 new English words daily and note down the meaning of each word you find unfamiliar or difficult to remember.
- Try to make sentences out of the idioms/phrases. This trick will help remember what was learned.
- One of the easiest ways to remember vocabulary is the use of mnemonics, which means creating shortcuts to remember more complex words.
- Revise all the words you have learned on a weekly basis.
SBI PO Mains Syllabus 2020
The SBI PO 2020 Syllabus for Mains consists of five sections-Reasoning, Quantitative Aptitude, English Language, General Awareness, Data Analysis.
SBI PO Mains Syllabus for Reasoning
Check out the below table for important topics in SBI PO Syllabus 2020 for Reasoning and also the number of questions asked from each topic.
|Topic||Number of Questions|
|Direction – Symbol based||3|
|AR (Linear Seating Arrangement||5|
|AR (Circular/Pentagon Seating Arrangement)||5|
|AR (Data Arrangement – Stacks A, B, C based)||5|
|AR (Concentric Square-based)||1|
|Direction – Puzzle based||1|
|Logical Reasoning (Statement-Inference, Critical Reasoning, Course of Action, etc.)||9|
SBI PO Mains Syllabus for Quantitative Aptitude
Go through the below table to know the number of questions asked from the SBI PO Syllabus of Quantitative Aptitude.
|Topics||Number of Questions|
|Data Interpretation (Table – Time and work-based)||3|
|Data Interpretation (Caselet – Probability-based)||5|
|Data Interpretation (Funnel Shape)||5|
|Data Interpretation (Caselet)||4|
|Data Interpretation (Scattered Graph)||3|
|Comparison of quantities – Quantity I. Quantity II and Quantity III||3|
|Profit, Loss & Discount||1|
SBI PO Mains Syllabus for the English Language
Know the important topics of SBI PO Syllabus English here and the number of questions asked from each topic.
|Topics||Number of Questions|
|Para jumbles /Sentence Rearrangement||5|
|Fill in the blanks – Double FIB||5|
SBI PO Mains Syllabus for the Computer Awareness Section
Here is the table consisting of important topics from SBI PO Computer Syllabus and the weightage of questions.
Click Here to download SBI PO (Prelims & Mains) Syllabus PDF
SBI PO Syllabus – Group Discussion & Interview
Group Discussion & Interview is the final stage of the selection process of the SBI PO Exam 2020. Candidates who qualify in both prelims and Mains exams are called for the final selection process of the exam.
Candidates will receive the Letter of Appointment from SBI after clearing all the phases of the exam. The Letter of Appointment contains joining formalities, joining date, place of joining, etc.
SBI PO Exam Pattern 2020 for Prelims
The following table has the detailed Exam Pattern for SBI PO Prelims 2020:
- Firstly, the exam lasts for 1 hour
- The Question paper comes in Objective type
- There is also negative marking of 1/3 for every wrong answer
|Mode of Exam||Online|
|Medium of Question Paper||English / Hindi|
|Type of Exam||Online|
|Type of Questions||Objective Type|
|Total Number of Questions||100|
|Marks Obtained for Correct Answer||+1|
|Marks Deducted for Incorrect Answer||-0.25|
|Sections in the exam||English Language, Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability|
|Weightage of English Language||25-30 Questions|
|Weightage of Quantitative Aptitude||30-35 Questions|
|Weightage of Reasoning Ability||30-35 Questions|
The following table has the Section-wise Exam Pattern for Mains exam:
- The candidates have to complete the exam in 1 hour
- Secondly, there would be questions from three subjects: English, Maths, and Reasoning
- There would be a total of 100 questions
|Section Name||No. of Questions||Total Marks|
|Total||100 questions||100 marks|
SBI PO Exam Pattern for Mains 2020
The following table has the detailed SBI PO Exam Pattern Mains exam:
|Section||Objective Test||Descriptive Test|
|Exam-duration||3 hours or 180 minutes||30 minutes|
|Total Questions||155 questions||Letter Writing/ Essay Writing|
|Maximum marks||200 marks||25 marks|
|Negative Marking||1/3 marks will be deducted for every wrong answer||NA|
|Exam-mode||Hindi and English (Hindi will not be applicable for English language section)||English|
The following table has the Section-wise Exam Pattern of the SBI PO Mains Objective Exam:
- Firstly, the exam lasts for 3 hours
- There is negative marking of 1/3 for every wrong answer
- There will be a total of 155 questions in the exam
|Section||Total Questions||Maximum Marks||Duration (minutes)|
|Reasoning & Computer Aptitude||45||60||60|
|Data Analysis & Interpretation||35||60||45|
|General Awareness (Economy & Banking)||40||40||35|
|Total||155 Questions||200 Marks||3 hours|
SBI PO Syllabus – Group Discussion & Interview
Candidates who clear the cutoff score for the mains exam will be called for the group discussion and personal interview test where candidates will be interviewed by the interview board. The Group exercise will carry 30 marks, while the interview will carry 20 marks.
Those who clear all the rounds of the exam will receive the letter of appointment from SBI that contains joining formalities, joining date, place of joining, etc.
SBI PO Preparation Books
The candidates always search for the best pile of books they can prepare from. We have personalized some books for the candidates. They can check them out in the following table:
|Quantitative Aptitude for Competitive Examinations||RS Aggarwal|
|Shortcuts in Quantitative Aptitude with 4 eBooks for Competitive Exams||Disha Experts|
|Bank PO Quantitative Aptitude Chapter-wise Solved Papers||Arihant Experts|
|Chapter-wise Solved Papers 2000-2015 Bank PO QUANTITATIVE APTITUDE||Arihant Experts|
SBI PO Preparation Tips 2020
Once you are aware of the syllabus, follow the expert’s SBI PO Preparation Tips to crack the exam in one attempt.
- Go through the detailed exam pattern and syllabus for SBI PO Exam 2020.
- Make a proper study plan and begin your preparation.
- Study each and every topic by referring to the right SBI PO Books.
- Ensure to complete studying the topics planned for each day without fail.
- Take up the SBI PO Mock Test Series regularly to analyze your preparation.
- Solve previous year papers to know the difficulty level of the paper and estimate the different types of questions.
SBI PO Syllabus FAQ’s
Q) What is the weight of the Reasoning section in the SBI PO Preliminary Exam?
Around 30-35 questions will be asked in the Reasoning section of the SBI PO Preliminary Exam. Candidates have to focus on topics like Verbal/Non-Verbal Reasoning, Syllogism, Circular & Linear Seating Arrangement, Data Sufficiency, Coding, and Decoding, etc to score more marks in the exam.
Q) How many subjects are there in the SBI PO 2020 Prelims Exam?
The SBI PO Prelims Exam comprises three subjects and those are as follows:
- Quantitative Aptitude
- Reasoning Ability
- English Language
Q) What are the topics that need to prepare under the English section of the SBI PO Prelims Exam?
The important topics that need to prepare under the English Section of the SBI PO Prelims Exam as follows:
Reading Comprehension, Grammar, Vocabulary, Fill in the blanks, Multiple Meaning /Error Spotting, Paragraph Completion, Miscellaneous, and Grammar.
Q) What is the syllabus of SBI PO Mains Exam?
The SBI PO Mains syllabus consists of five sections: Reasoning, Quantitative Aptitude, English Language, General Awareness, Data Analysis.
Q) How can I better prepare for SBI PO Exam?
Candidates have to follow expert preparation tips to score more marks in the exam. Before starting your preparation, go through the detailed exam pattern and syllabus for SBI PO Exam 2020 and make a proper study plan. Study each and every topic by referring to the right SBI PO Books and ensure to complete studying the topics planned for each day without fail. Take up Mock Test Series regularly to analyze your preparation and Solve previous year papers to know the difficulty level of the paper and estimate the different types of questions.
Q) Which is the best book for the preparation of SBI PO Quantitative aptitude questions?
Quantitative Aptitude for Competitive Examinations by RS Aggarwal is the best book for preparing SBI PO Quantitative Aptitude Questions.
Share your thoughts/queries here!