News & Events
How to Prepare English for SBI PO Mains 2017?
- May 19, 2017
- Posted by: TopRankers
- Category: SBI Po
How to Prepare for English for SBI PO Mains 2017 – Get here useful preparation tips, tricks & strategy for English Language
How to Prepare English for SBI PO Mains 2017?
The English section for the SBI PO examination can be divided into 4 parts and to score a high section wise cutoff in English, you need to prepare well. Grammar comes with practice, and practice is to read as much as you can. Once, you read a lot your grammar will be strengthened.
The English Section comprises of 4 areas that you need to focus on:
- Reading comprehension
- Verbal Ability
There are two main topics in Grammar. Grammar comprises of Error spotting and Phrase Replacement.
The Grammar section comprises of around 5-10 questions asked on questions like tenses, articles, prepositions, degrees of comparison, subject-verb agreement, conjunctions, parts of speech, standard construction, adverbs, number in nouns, etc
- Prepare well for Grammar: It is necessary to prepare well for grammar and one can use books like High School English Grammar and Composition by Wren and Martin from S. Chand Publishers. Going through the book will help you strengthen your basics of Grammar. It is one of the most widely used books used for learning about English Grammar.
- Read the book for relevant exercises on Error spotting and Gerunds.
- Practice grammar questions thoroughly using free grammar tutorial apps. Using Grammar related apps is a convenient way to learn as you travel or are in any given place. All you need is a smartphone and you can improve your grammar with the help of mobile apps.
How to improve English Vocabulary for SBI PO 2017?
You will find the following questions on the following topics
- Cloze Test
- Fill in the Blanks (Double blanks)
#1. SBI PO paper for the year is set by IBPS. It is unlikely that the questions will have word association pair, phrase or idiom. However, it is hard to predict what will come in the examination.
#2. Refer the dictionary more often. Oxford English Dictionary is the best dictionary in the world. Use oxford English English dictionaries or use Google or on line dictionary or other tools. Regularly using the dictionary will help you to improve your language and understand Reading comprehension in the right context.
How to Prepare for Reading Comprehension?
#3. Reading Comprehension
The passages in reading comprehension will be from Banking and Economy, Geo politics, Social issues, business, etc.
Questions will be factual oriented, inference based and will test vocabulary. Questions can also be about main idea, theme of passage, authors opinion and will test the understanding of the passage.
There will be less than 10 question in Reading comprehension
According to the old adage, ‘Practice makes a man perfect’
How to Prepare for Verbal Ability in English for SBI PO 2017?
#4. Verbal Ability
- The section contains questions on Para Jumbles, questions on paragraph completion. Para jumbles is usually a group of sentences that are jumbled up and need to be rearranged. You need to understand the questions in the right context to rearrange them.
- Follow the sequence of the passage and keep the overall message of the passage and understand the story from the beginning to the end.
- Looks for indications and connecting words or conjunctions that connect the story.
- Odd sentence out is another subject that will be asked in the Verbal ability section.
General Strategy for SBI PO Mains English Preparation
- Just like the old adage, ‘Rome was not built in a day’, similarly languages too cannot be learnt in a day. You need to tirelessly learn a language to master it.
- Do not spend more than 15 minutes on the English section. You will have to solve a lot of mock tests and manage your time
- Study the basics of grammar and this can be done even from school level books.
- To start with, attempt the vocabulary section first and then move on to Reading comprehension. The verbal ability section will come ext as it is easy to score. Over all, you will have to strengthen your grammar to improve your scores in the English section of SBI PO exam.
We hope the preparation tips will help you in scoring well in the English section of the examination
Stay tuned for more updates & tips on SBI PO Mains 2017!
- Paramount Test Series PDF Download May 26, 2017
- RRB NTPC Zone wise Cut Off 2017, Expected Cut Off Category wise May 26, 2017
- Paramount Test Series May 26, 2017
- MHT CET 2017 Answer Key: MHT CET 2017 Official Answer Key Release Today, Result On June 4 May 26, 2017
- RRB NTPC Mains Stage 2 Normalized Score Card 2017 Declared – Check Now! May 25, 2017