Learn English Grammar Online Step by Step Free
Learn English Grammar Online Step by Step Free: Get comprehensive learning tips to imrpove and learn grammar.
Learn English Grammar Online Step by Step Free
Grammar is very important part of learning the English language. Several people learn grammar in school only to forget it when they grow up. There are others who are very fluent in English, but still fail to understand concepts in grammar. Even those with a high proficiency in English and those who manage to never make mistakes while writing or speaking English often tend to now know about English grammar.
However, Grammar rules are quintessential part of knowing the language and those who pay a deaf ear to grammar are committing a grievous mistake. Firstly, it is necessary to understand the importance of grammar before you begin learning English grammar.
Learn the basic rules of grammar: Learn English grammar online step by step free
Grammatical Units of English: Word, Phrase, Clause and Sentence
The most significant part of English Grammar: The Eight Parts of Speech
1. Noun: Nouns are used to name persons, things, animals, places, ideas, or events. They are the simplest among the parts of speech.
2. Pronouns: Pronouns are a replacement for Nouns.
3. Verbs: A verb in a sentence expresses action or being
4. Adjectives: An adjective is a word used to modify or describe a noun or a pronoun
5. Adverbs: An adverb describes a verb, an adjective or another adverb but never a noun.
6. Prepositions: A preposition is a word placed before the noun or pronoun to form a phrase modifying another word in the sentence.
7. Conjunctions: A conjunction joins words, phrases or clauses and indicates the relationship between the elements joined.
8. Interjections: Interjections is a word used to express emotions. It is often followed by an exclamation point.
Idioms and Phrases: Idioms and Phrases can help you to decorate your words with some colorful words.
Let us look at the phrase ‘You can’t judge a book by its cover’ – to not judge someone or something based solely on appearance. This shows that appearances cannot be sole criteria for judging anyone and that appearances can be deceptive. The English language has hundreds of phrases, while some of them are more commonly used, the usage of others is less common. The phrase conveys this in a simple way making it open to interpretation.
Learning new phrases is possible when you take your English language skills to the next level.
Clauses: A clause is a group of words that include both subject and verb. There are two types of clauses – Dependent Clauses and Independent Clauses.
Examples of Independent Clauses:
“Satish ate a vegetable roll after he watched the News.”
(Satish ate a vegetable roll is an independent clause. It works as a standalone sentence)
Examples of Dependent Clauses:
“Satish ate a Vegetable roll after he watched the News”
The clause after he watched the News is a dependent Clause. It does not sound right as a standalone sentence.
The Dependent Clauses are also known as subordinate clauses could have been independent clauses. However, the opening words of the sentence turn it into a dependent Clause.
How are Clauses used in Sentences?
Clauses can play a play role as grammatical connectors in a sentence by acting as a noun, adjective or adverb.
There are three types of Clauses: Noun Clause, Adjective Clauses and Adverbial Clauses. The clauses are known for the choice of words used. Use of nouns, turn them into noun clause, use of adjectives turn them into adjective clauses and use of adverbs turn them into adverbial clauses.
Tips to Learn Grammar: Learn English grammar online step by step free
1. Be a Good Listener: Be a good listener to those who can speak English well. Listen to conversations in English. It could be listening to pod casts, interviews on television, radio or just listening to friends or those who have professional working proficiency in English.
2. Learn Parts of Speech: The only way you can become an expert in English is to learn parts of speech mentioned in this blog.
2. Start talking to Friends in English: Make English our first language.
3. Read Comic books and Short story books: Read English comic books like Tinkle, TinTin, or other Comic books from Amar Chitra Katha where you can improve language by reading on Indian mythology. Read Short stories that give you an opportunity to learn English and grammar.
4. Make use of Mobile Apps: Make use of free podcasts and apps that teach you new words and sentences every day. There are hundreds of apps on Android and iOS that teach you English and Grammar. Make use of them.
5. Stay Confident: Stay confident and believe that you can learn English and you will be able to learn and improve English Grammar.
Study Plan to Learn Grammar in 7 Weeks: Learn English grammar online step by step free
|Week||Parts of Speech||Idioms and Phrases||Clauses|
|Week 1||Noun||Learn New idioms and phrases every day. Start from easy ones and move on to difficult ones towards the end of the week.||Basics of Clauses|
|Week 2||Pronouns||Dependent Clauses|
|Week 3||Verbs||Independent Clauses|
|Week 4||Adverbs||Noun Clause|
|Week 5||Adjectives||Adjective clauses|
|Week 6||Prepositions||Adverbial clauses|
|Week 7||Conjunctions, Interjections||Complete Revision|
Books to Refer:
- Word Power by Norman Lewis (Penguin)
- High School Grammar & Composition by Wren and Martin (S.Chand Publishers)
Stay tuned for more updates on learn English grammar online step by step free!
Share your thoughts/queries here!