DMRC English Language Preparation Tips for Paper II
DMRC English Language Preparation Tips for Paper II – Tips, Tricks and Strategies to prepare English for Paper II.
DMRC English Language Preparation Tips for Paper II
Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) has invited applications for 1896 vacancies. The vacancies released by DMRC are for executive and non-executive posts. This is a wonderful opportunity for those who want to work in Delhi Metro Rail Corporation in executive or non-executive roles. The blog explores the various points that you must consider while preparing English for the DMRC Paper II. Lets look at some tips, tricks and strategies to crack the DMRC Paper II English Exam.
DMRC Exam Pattern 2018
|Paper – I||General Awareness||120||90 Minutes|
|General Intelligence & Reasoning|
|Knowledge of your Discipline|
|Paper – II||English Language||60||45 Minutes|
Paper-II will consist of objective type questions on General English to judge the knowledge of English language. There will be a total of 60 questions, each carrying equal marks. There will be negative marking. For every wrong answer, 1/3 marks or 0.33 marks will be deducted. The Paper-II shall be of 45 minutes duration.
Syllabus of English: Spot the error, fill in the blanks, synonyms, antonyms, spelling/detecting misspelt words, idioms & phrases, one word substitution, improvement of sentences, active/passive voice of verbs, conversion into direct/indirect narration, shuffling of sentence parts, shuffling of sentences in a passage, cloze passage & comprehension passage.
DMRC English Language Preparation Tips – for Paper II
The English Section comprises of the following areas that you need to focus on:
1. Grammar: The Grammar section comprises of questions asked from like parts of speech, conjunctions, standard construction, adverbs, number in nouns,tenses, articles, prepositions, degrees of comparison, subject-verb agreement, etc
2.Parts of Speech:
The most significant part of English Grammar are the eight Parts of Speech
4. Verbal Ability
1. The section contains questions on Para Jumbles, questions on paragraph completion. Para jumbles is usually a group of sentences that are jumbled up and need to be rearranged. You need to understand the questions in the right context to rearrange them.
Take Toprankers Target Mock Tests
2. Follow the sequence of the passage and keep the overall message of the passage and understand the story from the beginning to the end.
3. Look for indications and connecting words or conjunctions that connect the story.
4. Odd sentence out is another subject that will be asked in the Verbal ability section.
5. Spotting Error: You have to find the grammatical error in the sentence. Spot the error and choose the most appropriate answer. Check the subject-Verb agreement while reading the sentence. Spot the error by observing the given sentence carefully.
6. Fill in the blanks: Read the sentence carefully and choose the most appropriate word for the answer. Choose the right answer and fill the most right answer.
7.Synonyms and Antonyms: Synonyms and antonyms are meanings and opposites of a word. You need to find the meanings and opposites of the word given by choosing the right option.
8.Idioms/Phrases & One Word Substitution: Solve One Word Substitution and Idioms and Phrases from previous years question paper.
9.Spelling Mistakes: Choose the right word and mot appropriate spelling. Remember there is only one right answer for the right spelling.
10.Sentence Correction: Sometimes, the sentence is perfect and does not need correction, while at other times it needs to be worked upon. Choose the most appropriate answer.
11.Cloze Test: In this test, you are provided with a passage with few blanks and you need to fill these blanks from the given options. Choose the most appropriate word for the blank space. Eliminate irrelevant answers and choose the right answer. Try to find the correlation or meaningful answers.
How are Clauses used in Sentences?
Clauses can play a vital role as grammatical connectors in a sentence by acting as a noun, adjective or adverb.
Types of Clauses:
There are three types of Clauses viz Noun Clause, Adjective Clauses, and Adverbial Clauses. The clauses are known as the choice of words used. Use of nouns, turn them into noun clause, use of adjectives turn them into adjective clauses and use of adverbs turn them into adverbial clauses.
13. Reading comprehension: Read the questions first and then read the passage. Read the passage twice. It is highly scoring section.
14. Idioms and Phrases: Let us look at the phrase ‘Ball is in your court” – It shows that it’s up to you to take the decision and the onus of the decision is entirely yours. The English language has hundreds of phrases. Some of the idioms and phrases are popular, while others are still in use.
15. One Word Substitution: You need to find the right word to substitute lengthy sentence with a single word.
Important Points to Improve English: DMRC English Language Preparation Tips – for Paper II
- Be a Good Listener: Be a good listener and listen to those who are good in English. Watch English News channels, read English newspapers, books and novels.
- Learn Parts of Speech: The only way you can become an expert in English is to learn parts of speech mentioned in this blog.
- Make English your first language.
- Make use of Mobile Apps: Make use of free mobile apps that teach you new words and sentences every day. Make use of any smart phone apps that teach you English and Grammar.
Important Books to Prepare for DMRC Paper II – English
- Word Power by Norman Lewis (Penguin)
- High School Grammar & Composition by Wren and Martin (S.Chand Publishers)
- English for General Competitions: from Plinth to Paramount (Volume – 1) – Neetu Singh (KD Publications)
- English for General Competitions: (Volume – 2)-Neetu Singh (KD Publications)
- Objective General English by SP Bakshi (Arihant)
- Objective English for Competitive Examinations by H M Prasad
- Quick Learning Objective General English by RS Aggarwal & Vikas Aggarwal
Stay tuned for more updates on DMRC English Language Preparation Tips for paper II
Share your thoughts/queries here!