CLAT Syllabus 2021 Legal Reasoning, Current Affairs & Logical Reasoning
CLAT 2021 Syllabus: The first step for preparation is to be thorough with the CLAT Syllabus 2021. The Consortium of National Law Universities announced certain changes in the exam pattern the previous year. To help the candidate’s preparation, the exam conducting authority released sample papers, mock tests, and study materials. One of the major changes in exam pattern is question paper will include only comprehension passage-based questions.
- CLAT 2021 Syllabus consists of five sections: English Language, Quantitative Techniques, Logical Reasoning, Current Affairs (General Knowledge), and Legal Reasoning.
- This year, a new pattern was introduced and the CLAT Questions Asked was difficult and students felt the paper was lengthy too.
- In this post, we have provided a detailed CLAT 2021 Exam Syllabus. Candidates can view or download the CLAT syllabus 2021 PDF and start their preparation accordingly.
CLAT 2021 Syllabus Subjects Wise
- As per the CLAT Syllabus, most of the questions in the Quant section are asked from topics like Profit & Loss, Percentage, Discounts, & Partnership, Graphs & Charts, Number system, etc.
- During preparation, solving, or practicing CLAT Previous Year Question Papers will help in building self-confidence and estimate the difficulty level of the paper.
- Candidates have to focus on History, geography, National & International Events in order to score good marks in the current affairs section.
- Go through the complete post to know the detailed Law Entrance Exam Syllabus for both UG and PG courses and download the CLAT 2021 syllabus PDF from the link provided below.
- In the previous year, due to the situation, the number of questions has been reduced from 200 to 150.
- CLAT 2021 exam will include comprehension based questions in all sections for both UG and PG programs.
- The evaluation of a descriptive paper is now subject to the candidate’s qualification status in the objective test.
CLAT 2021 Syllabus PDF Download Here
The CLAT 2021 will focus on building the comprehension and reasoning skills of a candidate. The CLAT Exam is basically designed to test the ability and skills required for a legal education instead of prior knowledge that is used to respond to current affairs questions. Follow CLAT Preparation Tips by experts to crack all the sections of CLAT in one attempt. The CLAT UG Exam 2021 is a 2-hour test with 150 MCQs carrying 1 Mark each. For every wrong answer, 0.25 marks are deducted.
CLAT English Syllabus 2021
The CLAT Syllabus for English Section includes the questions based on passages. The word count of each passage is 450 words. Follow CLAT English Preparation Tips to crack all questions asked in this section.
- The passages will be based on contemporary or historically significant fiction and non-fiction writing and would be of a standard that a 12th standard student may be able to read in about 5-7 minutes.
- The passages are followed by a few questions which will test the comprehensive and language skills of the candidate.
- Make sure one reads and comprehends the main point of discussion in the passage. Keep an eye on any arguments and viewpoints discussed or mentioned in the passage.
- Be careful and draw inferences and conclusions based on the passage.
- Always summarise the passage for easy understanding.
- Compare and contrast the different arguments or viewpoints set out in the passage
- Understand the meaning of various words and phrases used in the passage.
- The below table explains the detailed CLAT LLB Entrance Exam Syllabus for the English Language.
CLAT Current Affairs Syllabus 2021
In this section, you will be provided passages of up to 450 words each. The passages will be derived from news, journalistic sources, and other non-fiction writing. The questions may include an examination of legal information or knowledge discussed in or related to the passage, but would not require any additional knowledge of the law beyond the passage. Each passage will be followed by a series of questions that will require you to demonstrate your awareness of various aspects of current affairs and general knowledge, including:
- Contemporary events of significance from India and the world;
- Arts and culture;
- International affairs; and
- Historical events of continuing significance.
- Know the CLAT GK Preparation Tips to know which type of questions are asked in this section. The below table shows the detailed CLAT Syllabus for Current Affairs.
|Environment||National & International Events||Sports||New Appointments|
CLAT Legal Reasoning Syllabus 2021
In this section, you will be expected to read passages of around 450 words each. The passages may relate to fact situations or scenarios involving legal matters, public policy questions, or moral philosophical inquiries. You will not require any prior knowledge of the law. You will benefit from a general awareness of contemporary legal and moral issues to better apply general principles or propositions to the given fact scenarios. CLAT Legal Aptitude Preparation Tips can help to know how to answer questions asked in this section. Each passage would be followed by a series of questions that will require you to:
- Identify and infer the rules and principles set out in the passage;
- Apply such rules and principles to various fact situations; and
- Understand how changes to the rules or principles may alter their application to various fact situations.
- Go through the complete Syllabus of CLAT Exam for Legal Reasoning as tabulated below.
|Study of law||Research aptitude||Problem-solving ability||Questions based on hypothetical situations|
|Important court decisions||Indian Constitution||Indian Penal Code||Law of Torts|
|Indian Contract Act||Legal Fundamentals & Terms||–||–|
CLAT Logical Reasoning Syllabus 2021
The Logical Reasoning section of the UG-CLAT 2021 will include a series of short passages of about 300 words each. Go through CLAT Logical Reasoning Preparation Tips to know how to answer questions asked in this section. Each passage will be followed by one or more questions that will require you to:
- Recognize an argument, its premises, and conclusions;
- Read and identify the arguments set out in the passage;
- Critically analyze patterns of reasoning, and assess how conclusions may depend on particular premises or evidence;
- Infer what follows from the passage and apply these inferences to new situations;
- Draw relationships and analogies, identify contradictions and equivalence and assess the effectiveness of arguments. The CLAT Syllabus for Logical Reasoning is as tabulated below.
|Statements & Assumptions||Direction & Distance Test||Blood Relationships||Coding & Decoding|
|Assertion||Analogy||Number Test||Statement & Actions|
|Statement & Arguments||Ranking||–||–|
CLAT Quantitative Techniques Syllabus 2021
The Quantitative Techniques section of the UG-CLAT 2021 will include short sets of facts or propositions, graphs, or other textual, pictorial, or diagrammatic representations of numerical information, followed by a series of questions. You will be required to derive information from such passages, graphs, or other representations, and apply mathematical operations on such information. Check out CLAT Maths Preparation Tips to crack all the questions asked in this section. The questions will require you to:
- Derive, infer, and manipulate numerical information set out in such passages, graphs, or other representations; and
- Apply various 10th standard mathematical operations on such information, including from areas such as ratios and proportions, basic algebra, mensuration, and statistical estimation.
- Go through the CLAT Syllabus for the Maths section from the below table.
|Area & Volume||Profit & Loss||Percentage, Discounts, & Partnership||Time & Work|
|Permutation & Combination||Probability||Clocks & Calendar||Graphs & Charts|
|Number System||HCF & LCM||Logarithm & Functions||Ratio & proportion|
CLAT 2021 LLM Syllabus
The CLAT 2021 PG Syllabus includes 3 sections with 150 MCQs and subjective questions. The CLAT LLM 2021 is conducted in offline mode for a total of 2 hours.
- The CLAT PG includes questions with difficulty level between moderate to difficult.
- Questions in CLAT LLM are asked from subjects that are studied in the LLB program.
- Both Constitutional Law and Jurisprudence will have an equal weightage of 50 marks each in the question paper. Whereas, the rest of the questions are from different topics like Criminal law, International Law, etc.
This section consists of various rules and doctrines that govern the functioning of a modern state and other political communities. Candidates come across questions based on concepts that they have studied in their graduation.
Jurisprudence is classified into three branches – analytical, sociological, and theoretical. The questions in this section are set on the basis of the CLAT syllabus prescribed in the graduation degree course.
The Tort Law
This is a new law included based on damage to statues. Some of the obligations include Negligence, Nuisance, and Defamation.
This can be referred to as a piece of a legal document which is a mutual agreement made by two or more parties, enforceable by law. Important decisions made by the Supreme Court and High Court in relation to modern-day commercial activities form a very crucial part of this subject.
This is also known as Penal Law which is aimed at regulation of the Social code of conduct and prohibition of any antisocial activity that poses a threat to the safety, property, health, and moral welfare of citizens.
CLAT Sample Questions PDF Download Here
Candidates must practice the questions to be well prepared for the upcoming CLAT Exam 2021. After you are thorough with the CLAT Syllabus begin your preparation and also start solving sample questions listed below. Download this subject-wise sample question paper PDF for CLAT Exam
CLAT LLB Books for Preparation
Refer to these experts suggested CLAT Books for enhancing your preparation for CLAT 2021. Read each topic in-depth from these books for understanding each topic perfectly. These books are designed based on the latest CLAT 2021 Syllabus.
|English Language||The Pearson Guide to the CLAT (English)|
|Word Power Made Easy New Revised & Expanded Edition (English) by Norman Lewis|
|Objective General English (English) by RS Aggarwal|
|High School English Grammar & Composition (English) by PC Wren, H Martin|
|Verbal and Non Verbal Reasoning by RS Aggarwal|
|GK & Current Affairs||Manorama Yearbook 2019 (English)|
|General Knowledge 2019 (English)|
|Lucent’s General Knowledge (English)|
|Competition Review Yearbook|
|Legal Reasoning||Legal Aptitude for the CLAT and other Law Entrance Examinations by Bhardwaj|
|Legal Awareness Legal Reasoning by Bhardwaj|
|Legal Aptitude by RK Gupta|
|Logical Reasoning||Universal’s Logical Reasoning for CLAT, LSAT and other Law Entrance Exams by Jain Prateek|
|Analytical Reasoning by M. K. Pandey|
|Logical Reasoning by R K Gupta and Samiksha Gupta|
|Quantitative Techniques||Universal’s Elementary Mathematics (Numeral Ability) by Jain Prateek|
|Mathematics for CLAT & AILET by LAWGICIANS|
|Mathematics for CLAT by Shailesh Kumar|
CLAT LLM Important Books
Here is the list of books candidates need to refer to for the PG course.
|Indian Constitutional Law||M.P. Jain|
|The Constitution of India||P.M. Bakshi|
|The Indian Constitution: Cornerstone of A Nation||Austin Granville|
|Introduction to Jurisprudence||Avtar Singh and Harpreet Kaur|
|The Elements of Jurisprudence for BSL & LL.B||Noshirvan H. Jhabvala|
|Legal Eagles||Indu Bhan|
|The Tort Law|
|The Law of Torts||Ratanlal and Dhirajlal|
|Law of Torts||R K Bangia|
|Law of Torts||P. Jaganathan and Usha Jaganathan|
|Contract Law in India||Akhileshwar Pathak|
|The Indian Contract Law Act||Mulla|
|Indian Contract Act||Dr. Paras Diwan|
|The Code of Criminal Procedure||Ratanlal and Dhirajlal|
|Criminal Law||P.S.A Pillai|
|The Indian Penal Code||Ratanlal and Dhirajlal|
CLAT 2021 Syllabus FAQs
Q. Is CLAT Syllabus the same for LLB and LLM?
Ans: No, the CLAT 2021 Syllabus is different for Undergraduate and Post Graduate. Based on the course applied for, candidates can refer to the CLAT syllabus here.
Q. How many sections are there in the CLAT UG Exam?
Ans: In CLAT UG Exam 2021, there are five sections: English, Mathematics, General Knowledge & Current Affairs, Logical Reasoning, and Legal Aptitude
Q. What is the mode of the CLAT UG Exam?
Ans: The CLAT UG Exam is conducted in online mode.
Q. Is there any change in the CLAT 2021 Syllabus?
Ans: No, there is no change in the CLAT syllabus. The subjects are the same- Quantitative Techniques, Logical Reasoning, English Language, Current Affairs with GK, and Legal Reasoning. However, there are changes observed only in the exam pattern.
Q. What is a good score in CLAT 2021?
Ans: A score of 150-200 is good to take admission in any college that accepts the CLAT score. However, a score in the range 130-150 is good as you can get in one of the NLUs.
Share your thoughts/queries here!