CLAT Seats 2020: Check UG & PG Allotment of Seats
Aspirants can get admission into any of the 22 NLUs based on the merit list and maximum intake of colleges. Each NLU has a different number of CLAT Seats offered and reservation policies. This article takes you through about the complete process involved in CLAT Seat Allotment.
CLAT Seats 2020 (Updated)
This year, the total seats in CLAT are 2538 which are offered by 22 National Law Universities across India. Candidates must note that the CLAT Seat Allotment and admission offer shall be provisional and shall not create any right of admission in favour of candidates. As per the brochure announced by the CLAT Committee, there will be three rounds in the counselling instead of the four rounds that were held earlier.
- The Consortium of NLUs will publish a total of 3 seat allotment lists for admissions on their official site.
- The Admit Process completely depends on the Rank List or Merit List released by the NLUs.
- The first provisional seat allotment list will be released after the declaration of CLAT Result.
- The lists published by CLAT 2020 the lists will have the Application No., Roll no., candidate’s Name., ALL INDIA RANK (AIR), candidate’s State. candidate’s category.
- The candidates who are shortlisted will have approximately 3 days time to secure a seat in respective NLU (National Law University).
- If the candidate wants to secure an admission based on CLAT 1st Allotment List, they have to deposit requisite counseling fees of Rs. 50000/- to CLAT office.
- To know which of the NLUs have been allotted to the candidates in the 1st round of CLAT counseling 2020, candidates require access to their CLAT Account.
- The posterior list will comprise names of finalized candidates who have deposited the counselling fee in the previous round with the names of waitlisted candidates.
- Candidates have two options: either to lock the allotted seat or select the option of shifting.
- Candidates will be given admissions completely on the basis of CLAT 2020 Merit List.
- After the last day of withdrawal from CLAT Admission process 2020, the counselling fees will not be refunded to the candidates, so if any student wants to get their fee refunded, they have to withdraw the fee before the last day of admission process of CLAT 2020.
CLAT Seat Allotment Schedule 2020
Candidates who qualify the exam will be eligible for seat allotment process. It is important for candidates to score above the CLAT Cut Off in order to be eligible for further stages of selection.
Participating NLUs reserve the right to change the total seats in CLAT and break-up of seats as per their policy before the final allotment/admission. Have a look at the CLAT 2020 Seat Allotment dates as given in the below table
|CLAT Seat Allotment Event||Scheduled Date (Tentative)|
|Publication of first seat allotment list of CLAT 2020||2nd Week of October 2020|
|Payment of fees for CLAT Seat Allotment (Round I)||2nd Week of October 2020|
|Choice locking/Shifting for allotted seats for CLAT Seat Allotment (Round I)||2nd Week of October 2020|
|Publication of second seat allotment list of CLAT 2020||2nd Week of October 2020|
|Payment of fees for CLAT Seat Allotment (Round II)||2nd Week of October 2020|
|Choice locking for allotted seats for CLAT Seat Allotment (Round II)/Exercising option for shifting seats/Withdrawing of allotted seats||2nd Week of October 2020|
|Publication of third seat allotment list of CLAT 2020||2nd Week of October 2020|
|Payment of fees for CLAT Seat Allotment (Round III)||2nd Week of October 2020|
|Choice locking for allotted seats for CLAT Seat Allotment (Round III) begins||2nd Week of October 2020|
|End of admission formalities by CLAT 2020 shortlisted candidates||2nd Week of October 2020|
|CLAT office to receive final admission status from NLUs||2nd Week of October 2020|
Categories for Seat Distribution in CLAT 2020
The total seats in CLAT is distributed based on the reservations of categories. In each of the CLAT Participating Colleges, the seats will be reserved based on these categories. Have a look at the list of categories for CLAT Seat Allotment.
- Scheduled Tribe (ST)
- Scheduled Caste (SC)
- Other Backward Categories (OBC)
- State Quota for the candidates in which NLU is located
- Physically Disable Candidates (PwD)
- Foreign National Candidates/NRI
- Kashmiri Migrants
- Candidates belonging from the North Eastern States
CLAT Seat Matrix 2020
Candidates can check CLAT seats offered in every NLU (NATIONAL LAW UNIVERSITY) for both undergraduates. This data will give the students an idea about the seats offered in every national law university across India. So check the seats offered below for UG and PG courses. Go through the category-wise and College-Wise CLAT Seat Break Up of UG s& PG seats. This year, the total seats in CLAT 2020 Admission is around 2,175. Out of which the distribution is as follows:
- The All India Seats for UG programs is 1,308.
- The total CLAT seats offered to the candidates of the state where the NLUs are located is 621.
- The number of seats available for the special category is 325.
The Consortium of NLUs has released the official seat matrix on their official website. Candidates can check the direct link below to check the number of seats available in each NLU.
1. NLSIU Bangalore NLAT Seats 2020
From this year, NLSIU will have a different reservation criterion for admission. There will be a new entrance examination for students applying to NLSIU. The new examination is National Law Admission Test (NLAT).
The total number of seats in BA LLB (Hins) has been increased from 80 to 120. Also, in NLSIU Bangalore, a new category for “Karnataka Students” has been added. The total seats in CLAT offered at NLSIU for LLB & LLM programme is 80 and 50 respectively. The reservation at NLU Bangalore has been explained below.
- 6 seats comprising 5% of the total intake shall be reserved horizontally for PWD candidates.
- Upto 25% of the total seats in each vertical reservation category, subject to a maximum of 30 students, shall be admitted under the horizontal preference of “Karnataka Students”.
- 2 seats in Business Law and 1 seat in Human Rights Law comprising 5% of the total intake shall be reserved horizontally for Persons with Disabilities (PWD).
- Upto 25% of the total seats in each vertical reservation category, subject to a maximum of 13 students, shall be admitted under the horizontal preference of “Karnataka Students”.
|Category||LLB Seats||LLM Seats|
|Business Laws||Human Rights Law|
|SC (Scheduled Caste)||18||5||3|
|ST (Scheduled Tribe)||9||2||2|
2. Total seats in CLAT for NALSAR HYderabad
Here is the reservation of CLAT seats at NALSAR (NLU Hyderabad).
|Category||BA LLB (Hons.)||LLM|
|All India Candidates||Residents of Telangana||All India Candidates||Residents of Telangana|
|Scheduled Tribe (7.5%)||6||2||3||1|
|Scheduled Caste (15%)||13||3||6||2|
3. NLIU Bhopal CLAT 2020 Seat Reservation
The reservation of CLAT seats at NLU Bhopal for BA LLB and LLM has been given below. Out of the 63 seats for all India General candidates, 25 seats are reserved for the aspirants possessing a domicile certificate of the State of Madhya Pradesh.
|State Seats||All India Seats||NRI Sponsored/NRI||Intellectual Property & Business Law||Business Law||Constitutional and Administrative Law||Criminal Law||Human Rights Law|
4. Total Seats in CLAT for WBNUJS Kolkata
NLU Kolkata offers courses of BA LLB and LLM. The CLAT reservation for both programmes has been tabulated below.
|LLB||West Bengal Domicile LLB||J&K Domicile LLB|
|Specially Abled Persons (SAP)||6 (Horizontal Reservation)||2|
|Sponsored by Non-Resident Indians||17||1||0||NA|
|Grand Total||(Excluding SAP) 115||(Excluding SAP) 10||(Excluding SAP) 2||44|
5. NLUJ Jodhpur CLAT Seat Allotment 2020
Here is the reservation policy followed by NLU Jodhpur. A minimum of 20 students will be offered LLB on the basis of CLAT merit.
|Scheduled Tribe (7.5%)||8|
|Scheduled Caste (15%)||15|
|Specially Abled Persons (SAP – 5%)||2|
6. HNLU Raipur CLAT Reservation of Seats
The reservation of seats at NLU Raipur has been explained in the table below.
|All India Seats||State Domicile Seats|
|Kashmiri Migrant’s Wards||5||2|
|Students from J&K||2||2|
7. Total Seats in CLAT for GNLU Gandhinagar
NLU Gandhinagar provides admission to BA LLB and LLM, the reservation of which has been given below.
|North East India||5||2|
8. RGNUL Punjab CLAT Reservation of Seats
Here is the reservation os seats at NLU Punjab.
|Quota Seats for J&K Residents||2||2|
9. RMLNLU Lucknow CLAT 2020 Seats
The CLAT courses offered at NLU Lucknow are BA LLB and LLM. Check the CLAT Seat reservation of these courses here.
|Category||BA LLB (Hons.)||LLM|
|OBC from UP||43||5|
|SC from UP||34||4|
|ST from UP||3||1|
|NRI/NRI Sponsored/Foreign Nationals||16||5|
|Residents of J&K||2||2|
10. CNLU Patna CLAT Seat Allotment
The tabulate data below depicts the number of CLAT seats for each category for PG as well as UG courses at NLU Patna.
|SC of Bihar||19|
|ST of Bihar||1|
|Extremely Backward Classes (EBC) of Bihar||22|
|Women of Backward Class||4|
|NRI Sponsored/ Foreign Nationals||20|
11. NUALS Kochi CLAT 2020 Seats
The table below contains information about the reservation of seats at NLU Kochi.
|All India Seats||State Merit||All India Seats||State Merit|
|SC of Kerala||0||5||0||5|
|ST of Kerala||0||1||0||1|
|Socially and Educationally Backward Classes||0||18||0||18|
12. NLUO Odisha CLAT 2020 Seats
NLU Odisha offers BA LLB, BBA LLB, LLM in Corporate and Commercial Law, and LLM in Constitution and Administrative Law. Check the table below for CLAT reservation in all the courses.
|Category||BA LLB||BBA LLB||LLM (Corporate Law & Commercial Law)||LLM (Constitution Law & Administrative Law)|
13. NUSRL Ranchi CLAT 2020 Seats
Here is the reservation of CLAT seats at NLU Ranchi.
|Domicile||Other States||Domicile||Other States|
|SRI Sponsored/NRI/Foreign Nationals||18||0||NA||NA|
|Supernumerary Seats for J & K Residents||2||0||NA||NA|
14. Total Seats in CLAT for NLUJA Assam
NLU Assam follows the reservation of CLAT seats given in the table below.
|SC of Assam||8||2|
|PRA (Permanent Resident of Assam)||30||8|
15. DSNLU Andhra Pradesh CLAT 2020 Seats
Check the table below for the reservation of total seats in CLAT at NLU Visakhapatnam.
|General Candidates of Andhra Pradesh||30||6|
|SC of Andhra Pradesh||9||2|
|ST of Andhra Pradesh||4||1|
|BC of Andhra Pradesh||17||3|
16. TNNLS Tiruchirappalli CLAT 2020 Seat Allotment
NLU Tiruchirappalli or TNNLS offers B.Com LLB and BA LLB both in the law undergraduate course. Mentioned below is the reservation statistics for the candidates.
|Tamil Nadu||All India||Tamil Nadu||All India|
|SC (O and A)||9 and 2||8||2||2|
17. MNLU Mumbai CLAT Seat Reservation
Here is the reservation of CLAT seats at NLU Mumbai for LLB and LLM.
|Special Backward Classes||1||NA|
|Other Backward Classes||9||2|
18. MNLU Nagpur CLAT 2020 Seat Reservation
NLU Nagpur offers LLB and LLM and the reservation of CLAT seats for both the courses has been given below.
|SC of Maharashtra||16||3|
|ST of Maharashtra||8||1|
|De-notified Tribes of Maharashtra||4||1|
|Nomadic Tribes of Maharashtra||9||2|
|Special Backward Class of Maharashtra||2||0|
|OBC of Maharashtra||23||4|
19. Total Seats in CLAT for MNLU Aurangabad
Here is the reservation of CLAT seats at NLU Aurangabad.
|SC of Maharashtra||7||3|
|ST of Maharashtra||3||1|
|De-notified Tribes of Maharashtra||1||1|
|Nomadic Tribes of Maharashtra||4||2|
|OBC of Maharashtra||10||4|
Documents Required for CLAT Seat Allotment 2020
Candidates appearing in the seat allotment of CLAT 2020 need to carry with themselves the documents mentioned below –
- CLAT 2020 Application Form
- CLAT 2020 Admit Card
- CLAT Score Card
- Date of Birth Proof Required (Class 10th Mark sheet)
- Class 12th Mark sheet required for Academic Qualification /Eligibility Criteria.
- Caste Certificate (if applicable)
- Specially – Able Certificate (if applicable)
- NRI Certificate (if applicable)
- Sponsored NRI certificate (if applicable)
- Domicile Certificate (if applicable)
- Call letter issued by CLAT authority
- Current passport size photographs.
CLAT 2020 participating institutes and seats (Undergraduates courses)
|S.No.||National Law Universities||General Category Seats||Total seats|
|1||National Law School of India University, Bangalore||93||120|
|2||National Academy of Legal Studies and Research, Hyderabad||81||105|
|3||National Law Institute University, Bhopal||65||122|
|4||West Bengal National University of Judicial Sciences, Kolkata||74||115|
|5||National Law University, Jodhpur||75||104 + 16 seats for NRI/ NRI sponsored candidates|
|6||Hidayatullah National Law University, Raipur||62||180|
|7||Gujarat National Law University, Gandhinagar||115||180|
|8||Ram Manohar Lohiya National Law University, Lucknow||80||178|
|9||Rajiv Gandhi National Law University, Patiala||133||180|
|10||Chanakya National Law University, Patna||60||120|
|11||National University of Advanced Legal Studies, Kochi||31||60|
|12||National Law University Odisha, Cuttack||114||180|
|13||National University of Study and Research in Law, Ranchi||60||140 (including 20 special category seats)|
|14||National Law University and Judicial Academy, Guwahati||47||60|
|15||Damodaram Sanjivayya National Law University, Vishakhapatnam||72||120 (including 12 seats for Foreign Citizens / Non-Resident Indians.)|
|16||Tamil Nadu National Law School, Trichy||62||120 (including 6 seats for NRI/OCI quota)|
|17||Maharashtra National Law University, Mumbai||69||100|
|18||Maharashtra National Law University, Nagpur||39||130|
|19||Maharashtra National Law University, Aurangabad||19||60|
|20||Dharmashastra National Law University, Jabalpur (MPDNLU)||76||120|
|21||Himachal Pradesh National Law University, Shimla||46||60|
|22||Dr. B.R. Ambedkar National Law University||77||120|
CLAT 2020 participating institutes and seats (Postgraduates courses)
|S.No.||National Law Universities||General Category Seats||Total seats|
|1||National Law School of India University, Bangalore||38||50|
|2||National Academy of Legal Studies and Research, Hyderabad||38||50|
|3||National Law Institute University, Bhopal||35||60|
|4||West Bengal National University of Judicial Sciences, Kolkata||31||42|
|5||National Law University, Jodhpur||37||50|
|6||Hidayatullah National Law University, Raipur||35||45|
|7||Gujarat National Law University, Gandhinagar||38||60|
|8||Ram Manohar Lohiya National Law University, Lucknow||10||27|
|9||Rajiv Gandhi National Law University, Patiala||29||40|
|10||National University of Advanced Legal Studies, Kochi||20||40|
|11||National Law University Odisha, Cuttack||32||50|
|12||National University of Study and Research in Law, Ranchi||20||50 (10 Special category seats)|
|13||National Law University and Judicial Academy, Guwahati||23||30|
|14||Damodaram Sanjivayya National Law University, Vishakhapatnam||16||24 (including 2 seats for Foreign Citizens / Non-Resident Indians)|
|15||Tamil Nadu National Law School, Trichy||10||18|
|16||Maharashtra National Law University, Mumbai||10||50|
|17||Maharashtra National Law University, Nagpur||6||20|
|18||Himachal Pradesh National Law University, Shimla||15||20|
Important Information of CLAT Seat Allotment 2020
CLAT 2020 Seat Allotment will be conducted by National Law University Odisha, Cuttack for admissions into the undergraduate and postgraduate law programs.
- There will be three rounds in which CLAT Seat Allotment 2020 will be held by the CLAT Committee.
- If a candidate has been allotted an NLU, he/she will be required to deposit a counseling fee of Rs. 50,000 for locking the allotted seat in the NLU.
- In any case, the candidate doesn’t deposit the counseling fee, he/she will forfeit his/her candidature, while their names will be dropped from CLAT 2020 merit list as well.
- If any candidate wishes to withdraw and does that after the last date of withdrawal, then the amount deposited will not be refunded.
- If the candidate was on the waiting list and doesn’t get the seat because of the unavailability of vacant seats then he /she will get their fee refunded.
- On final allocation, report to the respective NLU and fulfill the admission formalities by paying the balance fees and submitting the original certificates.
CLAT Seats FAQs
Q. What is the mode of CLAT 2020 Seat Allotment?
Ans: The CLAT seats will be allotted to the qualified candidates through an online centralized system.
Q. How many seats are offered through CLAT 2020 Exam?
Ans: There are around 2300 seats for undergraduate law admissions and 507 seats for postgraduate law admission through CLAT 2020.
Q. Can I change my NLU preference during the CLAT 2020 Seat Allotment process?
Ans: There is no option for changing the NLU preference during the allotment process. The choice of NLU preference was given during the application form filling. In case any seat gets vacant, the preferred NLU on the higher preference of the candidate’s choice will be allotted to them automatically.
Q. Will the CLAT seat be allotted based on the domicile?
Ans: Yes, you can be allotted a seat in an NLU on the basis of your domicile status.
Q. How many seats are there in CLAT for general category candidates?
Ans: In CLAT UG, around 1433 seats are for general category candidates offered by participating NLUs. While in LLM, there will be approx 443 seats through CLAT 2020.
Q. What are the top-ranked NLUs that are participating in CLAT 2020?
Ans: As per the NIRF 2019 ranking of law colleges, National Law School of India University, Bangalore, Karnataka is ranked first. The other top colleges are Nalsar University of Law, Hyderabad, The West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences etc.
Q. How many students applied for CLAT 2020 Exam?
Ans: As per the reports, a total of 68,000 students have applied for CLAT 2020 Exam.
Share your thoughts/queries here!