CLAT Legal Aptitude Preparation Tips,Strategy & Tricks
In the CLAT exam, the legal aptitude questions are designed to test the candidate’s legal reasoning, research aptitude, and problem-solving ability. Candiadtes must have strong logical skills to score good marks in this section. To ease out your preparation, we have provided CLAT Legal Aptitude Preparation Tips in this post.
- Candidates appearing for the exam can go through the CLAT Legal Aptitude Analysis to know the type of questions asked and the number of good attempts.
- The important topics to be focused on in this section are, Family law, the law of torts, basic knowledge of the Indian Constitution, etc.
- Around 35-39 questions will be asked from the Legal Aptitude section. Therefore, candidates must enhance their preparation by following the preparation tips provided by experts.
- Solving previous year CLAT Legal Aptitude Questions Papers will help candidates to improve their time management skills and problem-solving skills.
CLAT Legal Aptitude Preparation Tips 2021
As per the experts, following CLAT Legal Aptitude preparation tips will help students better understand how to ace this topic and score well in the exam.
- Stick to the principle and facts while answering most of the questions in the exam.
- While choosing the option, try to match options language with principle language as this will help students to mark the correct answer.
- Candidates must improve their legal knowledge to answer the questions based on the assertion.
How to Answer CLAT Legal Aptitude Questions?
If you are wondering how to solve Legal Aptitude Questions for CLAT 2021, then follow the tips and tricks.
- Since this year onwards, facts and principles will not be given separately in the question, make sure to read the passage as well as the Legal Aptitude questions thoroughly to identify the principles.
- After a thorough reading, candidates must start relating the facts drawn with the question and analyze if they support/justify the argument fully without any assumptions.
- Pay attention to all the small details and identify all the principles and their roles in the passage clearly. Beware of the small tweaks given in the statements or questions. Hence, paying attention to detail is key here.
- Along with Legal Aptitude, English is also an equally important section. So, CLAT English Preparation Tips can help in cracking the English section easily.
Is the CLAT Exam designed to Test your Legal Reasoning or Legal Knowledge?
Well, if you are a CLAT aspirant and worried about preparing for CLAT Legal Aptitude, then first you need to know why is Legal Aptitude a subject. The Legal Aptitude section is included in the CLAT Exam Syllabus to test candidate’s Legal Reasoning and not Legal Knowledge. The Legal Aptitude section is divided into three sections:
- Legal Reasoning – This section tests candidate’s legal aptitude skills. Candidates must apply legal principles to the factual situation. Also, the exam checks candidate’s knowledge in the study of law, research aptitude, and problem-solving ability is also judged through this section. Important topics in this section include the Indian Penal Code, Law of Torts, Law of Contract.
- Legal Facts – This section is based on knowledge of judgments and amendments. Some of the major topics focussed in this section are Fundamental Rights, Directive Principles, Preamble, Important Amendments, Important Judgments, Recommendations & Chairpersons of law commissions.
- Legal GK – This is completely based on general awareness and current affairs. One of the best way to prepare for Legal GK is to read newspapers regularly.
CLAT Legal Aptitude Preparation Books
The most important tip to prepare for CLAT 2021 is to take help from the preparation books. The following CLAT Books can be helpful to prepare for the Legal aptitude section in CLAT 2021 exam.
|Name of the Book||Author|
|Legal Aptitude for CLAT and other Kaw Exams: Workbook||A. P Bhardwaj|
|Our Judiciary (National Book Trust)||(National Book Trust)|
|Legal Aptitude (CLAT)||R. K Gupta and Samiksha Gupta|
CLAT New Pattern and Syllabus for Legal Aptitude
Out of 5 sections in the CLAT Exam, candidates will have to answer 35 – 39 questions in the Legal Aptitude section.
- The percentage weightage of the Legal Aptitude section is 25% of the total.
- The Legal Aptitude section carries 35- 39 marks.
- Candidates must expect a negative marking of 0.25 marks for every wrong answer.
The legal aptitude section requires candidates to read passages related to facts and situations involving legal matters, public policy questions, etc. of 450 words each. Candidates can fare well in this section if they have a general idea of contemporary legal and moral issues and applicability of general principles and propositions to given facts. Along with Legal Aptitude, Logical Reasoning is also an important section. Hence, go through CLAT Logical reasoning Preparation Tips to answer all questions easily.
Legal Aptitude Practice Questions for CLAT
The CLAT 2021 Legal Aptitude section will have a slightly different approach to putting up questions in front of the students. Till last year, candidates were presented with the statements and facts clearly, however, from this year onwards, candidates are expected to comprehend the passages, and draw facts and arguments on their own.
Sample Legal Aptitude Questions for CLAT 2021
The old woman didn’t like the look or sound of the kid. She scowled at her husband. ‘Where did you pick up this kitten from? Why do we need her?’ When the old man told her she was a goat kid, she picked her up and exclaimed in amazement: ‘Yes, she is a goat kid!’ All night, they went over the story of how the kid had come into their hands.
That same night the old lady gave the goat kid that resembled a kitten a nickname: Poonachi. She once had a cat by the same name. In memory of that beloved cat, this goat kid too was named Poonachi. They had acquired her without spending a penny. Now they had to look after her somehow. Her husband had told her a vague story about meeting a demon who looked like Bakasuran and receiving the kid from him as a gift. She wondered if he could have stolen it from a goatherd. Someone might come looking for it tomorrow. Maybe her husband had told her the story only to cover up his crime?
The old woman was not used to lighting lamps at night. The couple ate their evening meal and went to bed when it was still dusk. That night, though, she took a large earthen lamp and filled it with castor oil extracted the year before. There was no cotton for a wick. She tore off a strip from a discarded loincloth of her husband’s and fashioned it into a wick.
She looked at the kid under the lamplight in that shed as though she were seeing her own child after a long time. There was no bald spot or bruise anywhere on her body. The kid was all black. As she stared at the lamp, her wide-open eyes were starkly visible. There was a trace of fatigue on her face. The old woman thought the kid looked haggard because she had not been fed properly. She must be just a couple of days old. A determination that she must somehow raise this kid to adulthood took root in her heart.
She called the old man to come and see the kid. She looked like a black lump glittering in the lamplight in that pitch-black night. He pulled fondly at her flapping ears and said, ‘Aren’t you lucky to come and live here?’
It had been a long time since there was such pleasant chit-chat between the couple. Because of the kid’s sudden entry into their lives, they ended up talking a while about the old days.
Why did the old woman name the goat kid ‘Poonachi’?
Illustration Question Set
Mahmood Kaskar resided in the city of Mumbai and was long suspected of having committed several offences, including smuggling. Kaskar came across a police check-post on the road on 15 December 2019, and, afraid that the police would find the contraband that he had hidden in the trunk of his car, he drove through the check-post instead of stopping. In doing so, he smashed his car through the barricades at the check-post, and a piece from the barricades flew a few feet away and injured a policeman manning the check-post. Kaskar was later caught by the police, and charged with the offence of obstructing justice, which the police claimed he did by crashing through the check-post. Kaskar was acquitted of this charge since the police were not able to produce adequate evidence before the court. Some months later, the police, bent on teaching Kaskar a lesson, filed charges of injuring a police officer on duty against Kaskar.
Sometime after the two prosecutions mentioned in the previous question, the police manage to recover CCTV footage from the area near the place where the police check-post was and filed fresh charges of obstructing justice against Kaskar for crashing through the check-post. They claim that the CCTV footage would help them win the case this time. Kaskar claims that this fresh, third trial, violates his protection against double jeopardy in Article 20 of the Constitution. Will he succeed?
CLAT Preparation Strategies for Legal Aptitude
If candidates are wondering how to prepare for CLAT exam, especially the legal aptitude section, they must go through the CLAT preparation tips for legal aptitude section given below:
- For solving legal facts, students must require a sound knowledge of judgement and amendments as most of the questions are directly based on law.
- Students should require vigilance and awareness to solve the legal GK questions in the exam.
- Legal reasoning section is meant to test the candidate’s legal aptitude skills. Therefore, students will have to apply legal principles to the factual situation.
- Candidates are advised to follow the order like Principle-Fact-Option-Double check language of correct option with principle and mark for solving questions.
- Make a habit of reading newspaper daily. this will help improve your general knowledge as well as general science.
- Try to learn at least 10-15 new words daily and use it in your daily life to improve your legal vocabulary.
- Attempt CLAT Mock Tests regularly to know your preparation level and try to improve in weak areas.
- Candidates are advised not to spend more than 40 seconds on each question.
CLAT Legal Aptitude Preparation Tips FAQs
Q) How do I improve my legal reasoning skills for CLAT 2021 exam?
Candidates can follow the simple tips mentioned below to improve their legal reasoning skills.
- Read the principle very carefully
- Try to keep your scope of understanding an application of the law limited to the principles provided
- Instead of choosing the ideal option, look out for the best suitable answer
Q) What are the important topics that need to be prepared under the Legal Knowledge section?
Candidates need to focus more on topics like the constitution of law, legal maxims, legal terms, constitution and polity.
Q) How many questions are asked from the legal aptitude section in the CLAT exam?
As per the new exam pattern introduced by CLAT consortium, there will be around 35-39 questions are asked from the legal aptitude section in the exam.
Q) How can I improve my speed while solving legal aptitude questions?
- Do not waste more time on a single question. Move to the next question if you find the question is tricky.
- Improve your legal vocabulary knowledge
- Also, you can speak with CLAT mentor to know how to improve your reading speed.
Share your thoughts/queries here!